Thread: JBL 830 Speaker Value and Rarity?

JBL 830 Speaker Value and Rarity?

Hello, (I think I posted this in the wrong area before)

I was wondering if anyone here could tell me the value of a top condition set of JBL 830's? I have a picture of it, but i am not sure how to post it here?

Anyways, I am selling a set of JBL's with a set of Technics, and a bunch of KENWOOD Amp's EQ's and CD's player. Just trying to get an appropriate price to sell at...

Thanks!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Svenson View Post
    Hello, (I think I posted this in the wrong area before)

I was wondering if anyone here could tell me the value of a top condition set of JBL 830's? I have a picture of it, but i am not sure how to post it here?

Anyways, I am selling a set of JBL's with a set of Technics, and a bunch of KENWOOD Amp's EQ's and CD's player. Just trying to get an appropriate price to sell at...
    Well, if you mean the L830 and if you go by the sales on Ebay over the past 90-days, the range runs from $200 used to $600 brand-new.

Ebay is usually at the upper-end of the value spectrum. I personally can't imagine paying $600 for these, that's two-or-three times L7 money!

You could have easily done that search yourself. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...p2045573.m1684

If you want to advertise them here, that's okay. You don't have to be coy about it!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Are we talking the 80's vintage "JBL830" (floor standing 2x8" 3-way) or the newer "L830" bookshelf model ?

jblnut

The OP appears to be but another hit-and-run "what's it worth" poster. Perhaps a flipper. If he comes back, maybe he'll explain.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Since he thinks it may be rare, I bet he his referring to the JBL830 from the '80's. Not worth much. I had a pair and gave them away to my brother. I DO have a JBL940 from the same line up but not in use at the moment.
    Careful man, there's a beverage here!

Yeah other than their brief moment of glory when they were on screen for a few seconds in Darryl Hannah's bedroom in "Wall Street", the JBL830's pretty much came and went with no notice. Doubt they are worth $100 now, if that.

jblnut

However....

I agree with you jblnut about the worth BUT if someone had a pair of these and had not heard much of anything else, I bet they may be happy with it. They have a fairly high sensitivity and I lived with them for a couple years before I re-entered the market and thought they were good at the time. As mentioned, I currently have a pair of the JBL940's as well as a pair of the 630T's which were produced a year after the original 630's, I think. I bet they would make a fairly decent HT combo--better than some of the low end new stuff out there right now. Perhaps add a JBL82 of the same series (I think?) for the center speaker and a decent sub (or two) and your in business--on the cheap!

You're telling *me* about the JBL series from the late 80s ? Now that's funny :-). I've had my own review of the 940 here quoted back to me by an ebay seller many years ago so I figured I was famous for supporting these old and lost relics from the JBL past.

I've had 940's since new...totally agree that whole series is not exactly a throw away but they just have little to no resale potential. I have a vintage 940/CL505/J50 surround setup in the basement for the kids and frankly, it rocks and it's worth way more than I could get for it.

JBL did this series right in many ways. But without the cast drivers of many other more highly regarded series, these just have never really become collectible.

jblnut

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    The OP appears to be but another hit-and-run "what's it worth" poster. Perhaps a flipper. If he comes back, maybe he'll explain.
    And after such a warm welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    And after such a warm welcome.
    Suspicions perhaps founded. First post. No presentation. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by jblnut View Post
    You're telling *me* about the JBL series from the late 80s ? Now that's funny :-). I've had my own review of the 940 here quoted back to me by an ebay seller many years ago so I figured I was famous for supporting these old and lost relics from the JBL past.

I've had 940's since new...totally agree that whole series is not exactly a throw away but they just have little to no resale potential. I have a vintage 940/CL505/J50 surround setup in the basement for the kids and frankly, it rocks and it's worth way more than I could get for it.

JBL did this series right in many ways. But without the cast drivers of many other more highly regarded series, these just have never really become collectible.

jblnut
    Sorry jblnut. As a matter of fact, that review you wrote was spot on with the 940's. I just wasn't sure you had heard the 830's the OP had brought up........no matter as they are very similar to the 940's without the larger woofer. Again, my apologies.

No worries Tom! I am happy to spread the word on this lost and forgotten relic from the late 80's.

Did you see the set of 940's on Audiogon (of all places) a few weeks ago ? Never thought I would live to see that...LOL.

jblnut

No, but I saw a pair on ebay yesterday.......

Thread Information