Thread: New JBL owner

New JBL owner

Hi,

Located a pair of L166s in near mint condition with grills and the wooden stands (Lincoln logs?) that I will get my hands on in the near future. Haven't been refoamed so may have to do that in the near future. I have heard them before a long time ago, and have been searching for a decent pair for myself since. Superhyped to finally re-experience them.

I will be using these in my living room, playing everything from rock, via hip hop and electronica to classical music. Listening levels will be mostly moderate, with the occasional party where it might get a bit louder. The room is 28sqm/292sqft and I am planning to power them with a Sansui AU9900 integrated (2x80 generous WPC). Some of the posts here have me worried that I might be short some power here. Am I?

Greatly appreciate any input on required power to run these well! I have been offered a pair of L112s in good condition as well, but without stands and I favour the look of the 166s grills. Are these more/less powerhungry than the 166s?

Expecting to be spending some time in here in the future, great forum. Loved the refoam tutorial etc!

A true 80-wpc amp will work just fine on either. I've had my L112s connected to a Crown D150 for over 30-years, rated around 75-wpc. If you have the opportunity to try them with more power and you like it better, make that a goal. Otherwise, enjoy!

Buy them both! My best advice to you.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

I'm using a ka7300 & au7500 separated
    main/pre I wonder the same. Drop back with a q
    and let us know if they are dialed

Hello rilum and welcome to the Forum

I read that you probably is going to purchase a pair of original L166s. Im pretty sure you have to do a re-foaming on the 122A woofers if they never before have ben serviced? If you dont want to do it yourself, Im a re-foamer (look at my avatar )
    and can do the job for you. If this will be your choice, just send me a PM (you could write in Norwegian)

If you are going to check them, take a special look at the foam surround on the woofers and look for small cracks or holes. If you find the foam in that condition (with cracks ore holes) this will indicate that the foam surrounds are to old for the woofers to be used.

Quote Originally Posted by rilum View Post
    Hi,

Located a pair of L166s in near mint condition with grills and the wooden stands (Lincoln logs?) that I will get my hands on in the near future. Haven't been refoamed so may have to do that in the near future. I have heard them before a long time ago, and have been searching for a decent pair for myself since. Superhyped to finally re-experience them.

I will be using these in my living room, playing everything from rock, via hip hop and electronica to classical music. Listening levels will be mostly moderate, with the occasional party where it might get a bit louder. The room is 28sqm/292sqft and I am planning to power them with a Sansui AU9900 integrated (2x80 generous WPC). Some of the posts here have me worried that I might be short some power here. Am I?

Greatly appreciate any input on required power to run these well! I have been offered a pair of L112s in good condition as well, but without stands and I favour the look of the 166s grills. Are these more/less powerhungry than the 166s?

Expecting to be spending some time in here in the future, great forum. Loved the refoam tutorial etc!
    Flodstroem

Quote Originally Posted by rilum View Post
    Hi,

Located a pair of L166s in near mint condition ...
    Have owned 3 pairs of L-166's. Still regret having sold them.

Easy to drive, do NOT require big power , but will soak it up
    if need be and play louder than you can tolerate.

Easy also to refoam LF's. HF 066's are prone to dimpling , never have seen any
    re-contoured very well. The silver tends to flake off.

Grilles are near bulletproof. it's an ABS type plastic, but pretty transparent.

IMHO...the second best 3 way/12 inch JBL bookshelf's . (not counting the Century Golds)

If presented with a good pair at a good price..I'd buy them, although have
    no place to use em.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thanks for the welcome guys, good to hear that I'll likely be fine with my 9900. If not I'll just have to tell the wife there was no way around stepping up to the au20000.

Sent you a pm, Flodstroem, would be nice to have someone who could do service her in Norway!

I'll get back to you all with some impressions and pics when I get everything up and running!

Thread Information