Thread: Altec 417h 8 ohms identification

Question Altec 417h 8 ohms identification

Hi,

i'm going to buy a 417h speaker but i'm not sure about it :

. The serial is : 50 03 0333 10
    . There are no label at all and i think the back was unscrewed of it
    . Im' pretty sure it was reconned (the glue is...yellow !). Not a bad thing but how to know if it was correctly reconned or not...
    . The price is at 150 euros, sound correct for me even if the cone was broken in small aera (but fixed)

What's your opinion ? It is a genuine 417H or could be another one ? It is a good opportunity ?

you can find the pictures here : http://john.fender.free.fr/Export/AF/Altec417H/

Thanks !

Hello,

What you should do is search for all the threads started by Hostboard User 417-Alnico ( & then read them all ).

The info you seek, might just be inside one of those threads.

Good-Luck ,

FWIW, the cones do look original / but ( to be sure ) one needs to see all the numbers printed on the cone on white ( sometimes close to the spider ).

Thanks i will try to do it tomorrow ! I've found on your picture the good number on the bascket (391xxx) but mine, as it seem's to be an OEM version, have dope on it, so it's not easy.

Anyway, i don't think there is so much Altec 12's looking like the 417-8h ? At worst, it could be a version II with a bad sound or a bad reconed speaker ?

I've never seen a yellow glue on the dome !!!

In case you didn't see my comment on your question on the Altec User's Board:

That converts to $158 (US), and that's approximately what they sell for here in perfect condition. 417s with defects such as the one you are considering sell here for about $70. But those are plentiful here, maybe not in Europe. You will need to be the judge of it's worth.

The cone looks original to me. The reason the glue looks yellow is because of age. It simply turned that color over time. This speaker never had a cover over the magnet. The number is a part number.

You are aware that the 417 is classified as a guitar amplifier speaker, right? If that's how you will be using it, that would be fine. But it's not good for home stereo use.

GeeDeeEmm

Thanks a lot !

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    In case you didn't see my comment on your question on the Altec User's Board:

That converts to $158 (US), and that's approximately what they sell for here in perfect condition. 417s with defects such as the one you are considering sell here for about $70. But those are plentiful here, maybe not in Europe. You will need to be the judge of it's worth.

The cone looks original to me. The reason the glue looks yellow is because of age. It simply turned that color over time. This speaker never had a cover over the magnet. The number is a part number.

You are aware that the 417 is classified as a guitar amplifier speaker, right? If that's how you will be using it, that would be fine. But it's not good for home stereo use.

GeeDeeEmm

Thread Information