Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 2122H substitute for 4345 Clone

  1. #1
    Senior Member tjm001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Potomac Falls, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    156

    2122H substitute for 4345 Clone

    I’m contemplating pirating parts from my L300 clones to build 4345 clones. Since I have a pair of 2245s in the closet the main thing I need is a pair of 2122Hs. As some may have seen I have a “Wanted to Buy” in the Lansing Product Marketplace for a pair of JBL 2122Hs. But after perusing the forums the last week or so I’ve come to the conclusion that I’ll probably win the Power-ball Lottery before I’ll find a pair of 2122Hs.


    So what to do…? From what I’ve seen so far there seems to be two logical choices. The first, would be to just suck it up and use 2123Hs which seem to be plentiful. The second choice gets a bit more complicated. Maybe get a pair of E110 or 2123 cores and re-cone them to 2122Hs? But alas, the JBL 2122H kits are extinct! That leaves the option of aftermarket 2122H kits like those sold by Speaker Exchange.


    Looking for opinions and advice. Thanks.


    Tom

  2. #2
    Senior Member ivica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    serbia
    Posts
    1,353
    Quote Originally Posted by tjm001 View Post
    I’m contemplating pirating parts from my L300 clones to build 4345 clones. Since I have a pair of 2245s in the closet the main thing I need is a pair of 2122Hs. As some may have seen I have a “Wanted to Buy” in the Lansing Product Marketplace for a pair of JBL 2122Hs. But after perusing the forums the last week or so I’ve come to the conclusion that I’ll probably win the Power-ball Lottery before I’ll find a pair of 2122Hs.


    So what to do…? From what I’ve seen so far there seems to be two logical choices. The first, would be to just suck it up and use 2123Hs which seem to be plentiful. The second choice gets a bit more complicated. Maybe get a pair of E110 or 2123 cores and re-cone them to 2122Hs? But alas, the JBL 2122H kits are extinct! That leaves the option of aftermarket 2122H kits like those sold by Speaker Exchange.


    Looking for opinions and advice. Thanks.


    Tom
    Hi tjm001,

    I would suggest 2202 , 2311, 244x/2450,...if exact 4345 clone is not so important, but E110, or 2123, 2251 can be used, but sssshhhh sound of 2307 sound is something that I do not like

    Regards
    Ivica

  3. #3
    Senior Member tjm001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Potomac Falls, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    Hi tjm001,

    I would suggest 2202 , 2311, 244x/2450,...if exact 4345 clone is not so important, but E110, or 2123, 2251 can be used, but sssshhhh sound of 2307 sound is something that I do not like

    Regards
    Ivica
    Thanks for the opinion and info. I already have the LE85/2420 along with the 2405 in my L300s. Amazingly, I have tentatively located a pair of 2122Hs. But they are not cheap. I can get cheap E110 and 2123H cores easily, but original JBL 2122H re-cone kits for them are extinct. So my main question at this point is how close to an original JBL 2221H will a E110 or 2123H core with a Speaker Exchange aftermarket ($70) 2122H re-cone kit in them perform? Thanks.

    Tom

  4. #4
    Member gcarlberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    49

    designers Comments

    "I noticed a comment earlier in this string regarding the 2122H. It is a really good voice transducer. It always has been and always will be. Things just sound really natural through it. Another one that might be slightly better is the 2123. It is a little less smooth but perhaps a little more realistic on voice. Either are really good for that critical range from a few hundred Hz to about 1500 Hz."

    As posted here:

    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...esigner-s-Post

  5. #5
    Senior Member tjm001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Potomac Falls, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by gcarlberg View Post
    "I noticed a comment earlier in this string regarding the 2122H. It is a really good voice transducer. It always has been and always will be. Things just sound really natural through it. Another one that might be slightly better is the 2123. It is a little less smooth but perhaps a little more realistic on voice. Either are really good for that critical range from a few hundred Hz to about 1500 Hz."

    As posted here:

    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...esigner-s-Post
    Thanks for this. I do recall reading this some time ago. At this point I'm torn between an offer to buy a pair of 2122hs with fresh JBL C8R2122H re-cones, a pair of E110s with JBL C8R2122H re-cones, or just buying a pair of 2123Hs. The 2123H route is by far the cheapest. Indecision....

  6. #6
    Senior Member Flodstroem's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    303
    Why not a 2012H I think its a better driver than the 2123H I have had both of them and there is a significant difference between the two drivers with a clear benefit to the 2012H (crispier, more dynamic and better transient properties) Maybe you have to fiddle a little in the crossovers........
    Flodstroem

  7. #7
    Member Chevelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Hannover, Germany
    Posts
    84
    I am happy with my "1st.generation" 2123 in my 4343. Great on guitars and drums. Buy them as they are cheap and have a try.

    Hjalmar
    Attached Images Attached Images   

  8. #8
    Senior Member Flodstroem's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    303
    Discovered this old discussion from the Forum, might give you som directions
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ht=2012H+specs
    Flodstroem

  9. #9
    Senior Member tjm001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Potomac Falls, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    156
    Thanks guys. I'm gravitating to the probability that it will not make a hell of a lot of difference which one is used. It seems the crossover will be the biggest issue I'll have to face once I select all of the components. No?...

    Tom

  10. #10
    Senior Member BMWCCA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    6,455
    Quote Originally Posted by tjm001 View Post
    Thanks guys. I'm gravitating to the probability that it will not make a hell of a lot of difference which one is used. It seems the crossover will be the biggest issue I'll have to face once I select all of the components. No?...
    Plenty of info here on crossover design for the 4345 and updated schematics. I'd certainly start with that.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. My DIY clone of 4345
    By zeljkor in forum Lansing Product DIY Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-20-2013, 03:37 AM
  2. To clone or not to clone? 4344 vs. 4345 vs. XPL-200 Advice will be appreciated.
    By Amnes in forum Lansing Product General Information
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 02-09-2011, 03:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •