Hi All,
I recently lucked into a pair of coaxial LE-12c that were part of a DIY 3-way set using the 12c, a 5" Jensen mid, and a Rat Shack tweeter.

The LE-12 went directly to the speaker terminals and used the native JBL xcover attached to the frame, while the Jensen mid and RS tweet had an "over the counter" RS crossover also going to the cable terminal. As odd as it sounds and as cosmetically HORRIBLE as speakers and the woofers were, they sound great.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.p...#post-10190097

I'd love to keep these and clean them up and put them to good use, although I should be acquiring some L112 soon as well.

The literature says that the C-34, 36, and 56 cabinets were suitable of the 12c with the appropriate adapters (basically some sort of board that allows the woofer to be used with cabs that have various configurations such as a 14" woofer cutout).

The 12C require a 4'-6' cubic foot enclosure. I've been searching for any type of vintage box I could fit them in, keeping in mind my very basic wood working skills.

Here are some solutions I've considered:
1-An open baffle with a closed back mid-range added in, not sure it would work. Keep in mid the LE-12c incorporates the LE-20 tweeter and has its own enclosed two-way crossover attached to the frame. I could add a better capacitor to the old RS xover, use it for the mid only, then terminate both the mid and LE-12 at the speaker cable terminal (kind of what previous DIYer did).

2-Another idea is just to have someone build simple cabinets for me out of plain MDF. In that case I'd like to keep make the external cabinet no deeper than 12“ so I can use some left over walnut veneer rolls I have. Is that depth ok as long as the total volume is the same?

Also, I noticed that some of the old JBL cabs had multiple configs possible in the same box. Couldn't I have the baffles made with extra driver cutouts in case I want to try different driver combinations, i.e. run the LE-12c solo, run it LE-12c plus a mid, or “3-way" with the LE/plus mid/plus another tweeter (the current DIY config)?

I do have an LE-5-6 mid and would only need one more in that case.

3-If anyone in SoCal has cabinets that would work I'd be interested, but the cabs I have seen on C-list and FeePay cost more than really nice custom jobs would.

I'm excited about this find, but a bit intimidated. I'm ready to go back the JBL sound I had when I briefly owned a pair of 4311. Lordy, it was magnificent, full, and powerful.

I've been running a beautiful pair of modded Klipsch Forte I, but I think JBL floats my boat more.

FYI, I have 3 amps: Rogue Audio v.2, a rebuilt Sansui AU-717, and a back-up unit, Carver MXR-150. I may sell all and upgrade to separates or tubes.

Mech986 has been super helpful on the AK website, but I thought I'd run it by a JBL specific site where there are multiple fanatics, I mean fans, to draw upon.
Much obliged ya'll!