Thread: JBL LE 8 refoam

JBL LE 8 refoam

Hi Folks, newbe here to the forum (although I have visited many times as a guest) and I need some advice on getting a pair of LE- 8 drivers re-foamed. I just purchased a pair of Lancer 33 speakers and upon carefully removing the grills (they were glued on very well) I appear to have another pair of LE-8 speakers that were completely sprayed black prior to leaving the factory. The grills had never been removed prior to my removal and the complete driver is coated with a light coat of flat black paint. The surrounds are intact (no cracks) but very stiff and the speakers play OK but seeing how these are probably at least 50 + years old, I figure I should get new surrounds. Also, any advice on how to remove the black paint from the metal dust cap would be appreciated (but maybe not necessary since JBL never saw it as a concern ) Anyways, even though I have re-foamed several speakers the past years, I am very reluctant to work on the LE-8s as the cone appears to be very fragile and somewhat brittle. I would much rather commission someone who is an expert at re-foaming this driver. So, can anyone recommend who I might contact and/or where I might send them ? Does anyone know if Bill at MillerSound is familiar with re-foaming LE-8 drivers? I know he is very highly recommended for all things relating to speaker driver repairs - just not sure about LE-8s. Unfortunately, I was not lucky enough to find these at a garage sale for $25 or so - I paid a whole lot more than that for them so I do want to make sure that they are handled properly and taken care of.

Also, although we really do not have a lot of choices when trying to repair old vintage drivers, I was wondering if the current foam surrounds change the sound of LE-8s from their original ?

Thanks for hearing me out and I appreciate any comments and suggestions/recommendations.

Dean

Hi Dean

I have refoamed several LE8Tś including the 2115 which I think is the most comparable model to yours LE8?
    Refoaming is not any different compared to other smaller JBL foam surround speakers but everything is very tight as you already have figured out.

I recommend you to purchase the foam surrounds from Rick Cobb, I think he is the main source for foam surrounds for all LH community
    members if Im not totally wrong. Maybe he could recommend someone who can do the refoaming for you...........

I could have done your speakers but my location is Norway so its impossible do to expensive shipping.
    Flodstroem

Quote Originally Posted by Flodstroem View Post
    Hi Dean

I have refoamed several LE8Tś including the 2115 which I think is the most comparable model to yours LE8?
    Refoaming is not any different compared to other smaller JBL foam surround speakers but everything is very tight as you already have figured out.

I recommend you to purchase the foam surrounds from Rick Cobb, I think he is the main source for foam surrounds for all LH community
    members if Im not totally wrong. Maybe he could recommend someone who can do the refoaming for you...........

I could have done your speakers but my location is Norway so its impossible do to expensive shipping.
    Thank you Flodstroem for your response. I am familiar with Rick Cobb as I bought my last foam surrounds to repair a couple of JBL 122-A drivers for a pair of L 166 speakers from him. You mention that refoaming the LE-8 is not any different from any other small JBL speaker - my biggest concern is the fragile cone and also the stiffened, rubbery surround (Lansaloy I think it is called) that I understand can be difficult to remove without solvents. So, hopefully I can find someone Stateside.

Quote Originally Posted by DChristie View Post
    my biggest concern is the fragile cone and also the stiffened, rubbery surround (Lansaloy I think it is called) that I understand can be difficult to remove without solvents. So, hopefully I can find someone Stateside.
    Ah, I missed that Lansaloy info. I must admit that I have never done a refoaming on an old Lansaloy´ed speaker so I cant give you any advice on how to do it right. But there members here in LH that I know can step in with smart advices to you I hope. Btw I think JBL used the same cone kits as in the 2115A speakers (see attached picture), its a thin and dark-gray cone but yours appear to have been painted? or was only the Al center dome painted black?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Flodstroem

Please post a picture of the woofer! If the surround is Lans, the same procedure applies. Just use a NEW xacto style blade to slowly remove the old surround, supporting the cone with your free hand. Tough part is the thin rubber gasket which has to be removed first between the frame and the surround. Just go slowly and remove it in one piece. There are no, let me repeat this NO solvents to be used! Once again, post some pics and/or PM me with any questions. I have done several of these over the years.

Thread Information