Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fender rhodes

Elusive Disc has come to AXPONA in Chicago for years, selling music in the Marketplace area of the huge show. Interesting company. Most years I have picked up a $5 or $10 bargain XRCD. I got this one a few years ago for ten and the next year they had it for five. XRCDs have been an audiophile staple for years. Three Blind Mice was a label that put out about 100-130 titles back when; the music selection, recording, and pressing quality was always top notch. The JVC (Japanese Victor Corporation) K2 recording and XRCD release technologies were as good as it gets until SACD came along. The exposition of them in the CD booklet explains them well. I was especially taken with the microphone placement information provided in the booklet; the geek factor is high in the Japanese market. Notice the Rhodes was not miked, it went line in directly to the console. Sounds outstanding!

The Big 4 disc seems so fresh it gives me a mortality twinge when I realize the fifty and thirty-year-old musicians would be seventy and ninety-something now.

My main music stop at the show is always MA Recordings, Todd Garfinkle's one-man company. He gets outstanding musicians together in acoustically superior venues (churches, concert halls, etc) and records in the most accurate manner of any recordist on the planet (Two super high-quality microphones, modified, with custom FET preamps directly to a digital Dual DSD recorder. No board, no mixing.) All the music is original, excepting Classical and Baroque titles. He lived in Japan for a quarter century and is an outstanding musician himself. He is very well connected. Direct sales only.

Another all original label music is Colin Townes' Provocateur in the UK. A more standard recording technique but top sonic quality, unusual and interesting music always by phenomenal musicians, of which he is one. Their online store is gone, but he uses Import CD, CD Baby, and other such outlets.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...-music-part-1/
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Actually, I prefer the sound of the Wurtlizer electric piano. It has more intonation than the Rhodes, but more likely to "breakup" when played hard.

Whereas the Rhodes used "wands" to produce the sound, the Wurtlizer used reeds. I had one of the first generation Wurtlizers. You would tune each note by adding/removing solder from the tip of the reeds, whereas on the Rhodes you would move a weight on the wand.

Joni Mitchell used a Wurtlizer as did the Carpenters.

https://youtu.be/q3SjqGfe-yM

Wurlitzer "Live at the Club"

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    Actually, I prefer the sound of the Wurtlizer electric piano. It has more intonation than the Rhodes, but more likely to "breakup" when played hard.

Whereas the Rhodes used "wands" to produce the sound, the Wurtlizer used reeds. I had one of the first generation Wurtlizers. You would tune each note by adding/removing solder from the tip of the reeds, whereas on the Rhodes you would move a weight on the wand.

Joni Mitchell used a Wurtlizer as did the Carpenters.

https://youtu.be/q3SjqGfe-yM

Warm vibraphone-similar sound: the Wurlitzer played by Joe Zawinul in the original version of "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy" from 1966 LP "Cannonball Adderley Quintet, Live at the Club". In subsequent live performances Zawinul prefered the Fender Rhodes piano. Sorry, i can't show the original LP: this one is a mid 70ies German reissue.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Deodato, Carly & Carole, 1973

One of Deodato's best solos played on the Fender Rhodes. Dedicated to Carly Simon and Carole King. Plus a fantastic guitar solo by Jay Berliner followed by a fine flute solo by Hubert Laws. Another superb Fender Rhodes solo on "Baubles, Bangles and Beads" A2.
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

I was completely unfamiliar with this record except for the title track single. Just heard Cold, Cold, People on the radio. Very interesting, the whole record is apparently just a beat box and organ for instrumentation. Not a Fender Rhodes, (apparently a Lowrey) but an interesting album.

https://www.allmusic.com/album/why-c...r-mw0000105338

Timmy Thomas, Why Can't We Live Together, 1979, TK France, 508654

Quote Originally Posted by rusty jefferson View Post
    I was completely unfamiliar with this record except for the title track single. Just heard Cold, Cold, People on the radio. Very interesting, the whole record is apparently just a beat box and organ for instrumentation. Not a Fender Rhodes, (apparently a Lowrey) but an interesting album.

https://www.allmusic.com/album/why-c...r-mw0000105338

Here you have the 1972 funky live version with big orchestra and fat horns. And a rap in JB style!

Great line up and some very nice Fender Rhodes work.

Name:  0003125941.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  54.1 KB

https://www.allmusic.com/album/red-clay-mw0000188315

Beatles, Don't let me down, 1969

The most famous Fender Rhodes tune? The whole song is seasoned by Billy Preston. "I'm in love for the first time, don't you know it's gonna last..."

Doors: Riders on the storm

Fender Rhodes sounds color the dark mood of a night ride and add hypnotic effects of dripping raindrops. Ear cinema. A song for eternity.

Well, Riders has been mentioned yet in #2...

Best regards!

Zombie thread!

Still no love for Norah Jones and her Fender Rhodes work?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by Kay Pirinha View Post
    Well, Riders has been mentioned yet in #2...

Best regards!

You're right. But i am so excited... Gruss nach Deutschland, die Grenzen sind wieder frei: Fritz

Zombie?

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Zombie thread!

Still no love for Norah Jones and her Fender Rhodes work?
    Show it! Fritz wants to know. From Switzerland. No Zombies here at all.

Though in this video it's a Wurlitzer, here you go:

Found this, too: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/fo....asp?TID=71933
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Wurlitzer or Fender?

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Though in this video it's a Wurlitzer, here you go:

Found this, too: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/fo....asp?TID=71933

Wurlitzer or Fender Rhodes - that's the question.
    Wurlitzer look here: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wurlitzer_Electric_Piano
    Fender Rhodes look here: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Rhodes

Thread Information