Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's up with the Kenrick "KRS Artificial Leather" surrounds?

Quote Originally Posted by lordoflight View Post
    Is there a way to "soften" the surrounds in order to get more bass?
    Maybe more flabby bass?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Is there a way to "soften" the surrounds in order to get more bass?
    It depends. Do you have old woofers on which the accordeon fabric suspension has stiffened over time? If it's the case, then sure, there are ways to soften the suspension to bring the woofer back to original specs.

surround softening

I have a new 2235 recone kit from SS audio installed on an E140 chassis. I was wondering if softening the foam surround somehow will improve the bass.

I have a new 2235 recone kit from SS audio installed on an E140 chassis. I was wondering if softening the foam surround somehow will improve the bass.
    So - most folks with new surrounds talk about break-in time before they reach the expected sound.
    Since JBL did not sell replacement surrounds, and recommended recones when surrounds aged and failed,
    it may depend on what materials were used in your non-factory replacement parts.

If you decide to try and apply some material/compound to change the sound, suggest that you run tests before and after
    and see what you think.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

The foam surround on a 2235 has little effect on the Fs.

In the thread "Butyl Rubber Surrounds from Japan" the measured difference from surrounds old and new and none are posted. The effect from none to new is only several Hz.

If I were looking to mod the bass output of a 2235 I would look elsewhere.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    If I were looking to mod the bass output of a 2235 I would look elsewhere.

Barry.
    Indeed. Especially that the 2235 is known to have a great bass. I suggest the problem is not the woofer. Too much mids? Too much highs? Bad room?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    I meant the latter but read this

"for all intensive purposes"

"Both for all intents and purposes and for all intensive purposes are widely used to mean “for all practical purposes” or “virtually".

For all intensive purposes is a fairly common eggcorn derived from the original phrase. It’s often heard in speech, but it’s rare in published writing because it generally doesn’t pass through the editorial process."

Just throwing it out there

(Auto word correct on the iPhone and my dog licking me can result in a loss of exact meaning)
    I'd never seen it used before, but I really liked the immediate visual image that it brought to mind. I immediately imagined a group of technicians in white lab coats running around in circles with "intense purposes" as they tried to solve a problem. My addled mind. I really thought that you might have stumbled on a new twist on the words, but I guess somebody else beat you to it. Drats. Nonetheless, I like it and will be looking for creative ways to use it. And thanks for not taking offense. I certainly meant none.

(And I certainly understand the dog issue. My dog is resting on my lap as I type this using a keyboard that is clogged with dog hair and morsels of dog treats. That scenario has resulted in more than one typo, I can assure you. )

GeeDeeEmm

Bad room

I think bad room is indeed the issue. When I moved in my new home with my old proacs which had a lot of bass in the concrete walls 21 sqm room Now in my new plaster walls 60 sqm room the bass is gone. I thought replacing them with a pair of good ol 43xx jbl will do the trick due to the large 2235s and boy I was wrong. The bass is nowhere to be found.

Then go up to the 18 (2245H)

Hi GeeDeeEmm,

Far from being a literary expert but l think in terms of English grammar.

The egg corn you picked up on is said far more than it is written.

Of course how ones thoughts are said and written is about style.

Someone recently compared my style to Vollmann which is hilarious if you ever read his bio.

My first article which l wrote 20 years ago for the Melbourne Audio Club magazine was lifted and published by the editor of Australian HFi Greg Borrowman.

The article caught Borrowman's eye as l used the JBL slogan "nothing even comes close " referring to how the JBL 4343 monitor can play any kind of music at almost realistic volume levels which of course the average hifi shoe box won't do. That caused a stir in the annals of the oldest Hifi club in the world (founded by Alex Encel).

I try to be clear and concise but l do tell it as is if the need calls for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Then go up to the 18 (2245H)
    or put some carpets on the floor and stuff on the walls to reduce reverberation and abundance of mids...

btw 60sq.m is 645sq.ft - That's also a large room.

That be assault and battery, not an interior decorator. ☺

Do you know that they installed the mass ring when reconing the speakers? This will increase the bass at the expense of tightness in the lower midrange.

There is something that you can do to increase the deep bass, but most no-one here, other than me, would think about doing it (and it does work).

You can put a 100 watt non-inductive resistor in series with the woofer and reduce the mids and highs by ~3.5 dBA.

This works because of the inherent impedience spike in the deep bass range. Here the impedience can be >30 ohms. So when 8 ohms is added to 30 ohms, the volume decreases by 1.0 dBA. But when added to the ~7 ohms though most of the bandwidth, it decreases by ~3.5 dBA and if you turn the volume up by 3.5 dBA to compensate for this, you've increased the deep bass by 2.5 dBA relative to the bandwidth.

It does work and if you like the sound...

I think bad room is indeed the issue. When I moved in my new home with my old proacs which had a lot of bass in the concrete walls 21 sqm room Now in my new plaster walls 60 sqm room the bass is gone. I thought replacing them with a pair of good ol 43xx jbl will do the trick due to the large 2235s and boy I was wrong. The bass is nowhere to be found.

You can't compare Room Vs Room with different speakers....

you have to check for bass cancellation, for sure you have.

1st test, walk inside the room,between speakers, in the corner, on the back wall etc....to find "the bass", in the bigger room you have more problems than in the small one, much more problems.....you need acoustic correction.

I had the same problem. No bass at 4,5meter, huge bass at 5meter, tremendous bass in the 2 front corner, right bass between the speakers.

About Leather sorround, would be nice if Kenji-san post the 2235h T&S measures, if the value are comparable, why not evaluate an alternative or give a try...

Thread Information