Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Just acqired a pair of L212 speakers ...

So - yesterday morning I removed the 112A midbass drivers from the cabinets. After work I peeled off the "O-rings" that held the surrounds in place. I had already ordered and received the Surround kits from Rick Cobb, and have done many larger JBL surrounds in the past, so I figured it would be no big deal. I clean the bad surrounds and glue with MEK, which need LOTS of venting as its quite toxic stuff. I usually do the clean ups on our back porch, which is an open, screened in space. Its December, and its cold - about 30 degrees when I started to rub off the old surrounds, scrape the frames and wipe the surfaces thoroughly with MEK. Its messy, the MEK evaporates fast, and IT WAS COLD!

Once cleaned, I was eager to get back inside to do the glue work - no real fumes from that. I brought the "cores" in, popped them on my bench, and dropped the new surrounds in place just to confirm they were a good fit. I laid a clean bead of the glue on the inner edge of one of the new surrounds, slipped it around the cone, and pushed it against the back of the speaker cone. I went around it a couple of times to be sure it was fitted as the glue set up. Once that was done I started with the second speaker. But as I was working it around the cone I notice that moving the cone made a rustling sound. The Other One had NOT made any sounds and had floated free. This one rubbed and did not move freely. OMG - one driver is bad - and these drivers were rare when new and have been out of production for years! Parts have been NLA (No Longer Available) for years as well. Unobtainium!

Picture from yesterday, before I cleaned up the old surrounds -
    amazing 8 inch Alnico drivers with 3 inch voice coils! Vintage JBL quality.

Name:  112A-drivers.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  71.6 KB

Emma suggested i make a video to show the seller that there was a problem, so I grabbed the camera as she gently moved the speaker cones.
    Pretty easy to hear the rub
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69_mDMH0gSI

The seller refunded some of my money so I could get the driver reconed - (actually, if I go that route, I'd get both of them reconed so they stay matched)
    - but for now, I'm taking a couple days off for the holiday and will consider other possibilities. I did post a WTB ad in the marketplace, if anyone has a working spare 112A.

And - I dragged my vaccuum upstairs and tried to pull out the pushed in silver domes on the 066 tweeters - no success so far -
    it's very stiff and feels more like a metal foil of some kind, instead of metallized silk as I expected.
    But I'll haul the shop vac up in a couple days and try again. Maybe heat the domes up with a blow dryer (?) so they can pop free easier.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Good luck with them Heather. I always liked those speakers (mainly for the aesthetics I admit), looking forward to your thoughts on their sound once you get them up & running.
    Just Play Music.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    And - I dragged my vaccuum upstairs and tried to pull out the pushed in silver domes on the 066 tweeters - no success so far -
    it's very stiff and feels more like a metal foil of some kind, instead of metallized silk as I expected.
    But I'll haul the shop vac up in a couple days and try again. Maybe heat the domes up with a blow dryer (?) so they can pop free easier.
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post297332
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

066 Tweeter

The substrate is phenolic. The metallic finish was initially done by vapor deposition until the machine broke, thereafter brushed on. This from Giskard/Lancer/4313B ages ago, as I recall.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

For future reference - tho you can't find it via their "Support Pages" -

Harman Kardon still has the JBL L212 Service Manual online

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Service Manual/L212 sm.pdf

And the JBL L212 Owner's manual is here -

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Owner's%20Manual/L212Instruction-om.pdf

The crossover is here

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Technical%20Sheet/L212%20ts.pdf

2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Thanks so much, Tom - I'll have a go when I get some free time next week maybe!

Hi Heather,

I'm sorry to see that your purchase has turned into a "salvage project".

Here's a very important ( little ) thread to bookmark.

One wants to know the depth of the top-plate/gap ( .35" for this family of mid-rangers ) if ultimately, one is forced to rebuild the 112a ( using after-market parts ).

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Once cleaned, I was eager to get back inside to do the glue work - no real fumes from that. I brought the "cores" in, popped them on my bench, and dropped the new surrounds in place just to confirm they were a good fit. I laid a clean bead of the glue on the inner edge of one of the new surrounds, slipped it around the cone, and pushed it against the back of the speaker cone. I went around it a couple of times to be sure it was fitted as the glue set up. Once that was done I started with the second speaker. But as I was working it around the cone I notice that moving the cone made a rustling sound. The Other One had NOT made any sounds and had floated free. This one rubbed and did not move freely. OMG - one driver is bad - and these drivers were rare when new and have been out of production for years! Parts have been NLA (No Longer Available) for years as well. Unobtainium!
    Honestly I don't think you've proven it needs a re-cone - yet. Until its properly centered and surround is secured, you can't be sure it has a rub. If the coil measures proper DCR you should play with this some more. There may just be some crud in the gap, or its just not centered right.

I'm just sayin', its not "bad" till you do some more due diligence.

Subwoof and a couple others are leanin' towards crud in the gap - but with the holidays,
    its going to be a few days at LEAST before I get a chance to pull it apart and check ...

And honestly, I've plans to xacto-slice and remove the center cap and clean whatever I can get to
    before I take a shot at gluing the surround to the frame (already glued to the back of the cone).

speaker will wait ...

Christmas ... Holiday ... Sunday ...

4 day weekend ... Work Tu/We/Th ... then 4 day weekend again!

Good spirits ... Angels' Envy is great in Egg Nog ...
    (we tried & thought it was better than that rum in eggnog).

Picture from last year - Doublewood Carribean Cask was a Christmas gift last year -
    this year I asked for (and am hoping for) Monkey's Shoulder scotch.

Name:  Nog.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  86.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    Honestly I don't think you've proven it needs a re-cone - yet. Until its properly centered and surround is secured, you can't be sure it has a rub. If the coil measures proper DCR you should play with this some more. There may just be some crud in the gap, or its just not centered right.

I'm just sayin', its not "bad" till you do some more due diligence.

Name:  IMG_6261.JPG
Views: 606
Size:  238.8 KB

hope you get your wish!

That looks delicious! How do you like it?

They offered it up as 1 of 4 "expressions" to be sampled at the scotch tasting at the Highland festival in Richmond, VA on Oct 22 -
    (a mix of three different Speyside Single Malts - Glenfiddich, Balvenie and Kininvie)
    We found it real nice, which is why I asked for a bottle for Christmas (and my honey has hinted that - I asked, I got ...)
    I'll know for sure on Christmas day ...

Name:  IMG_3038.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  125.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post

hope you get your wish!

Quite pleasant. 🐒🐒🐒

You guys and your blended scotch don't know what you're doing.
    Single Malt, try some 18 year old Glenfiddich. But if you're really serious go with the 21. Of course they also offer 40 and 50, but if you have to ask the price you can't afford it.

BTW, only Glenfiddich is audiophile scotch. It makes everything sound real good.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    You guys and your blended scotch don't know what you're doing.
    Single Malt, try some 18 year old Glenfiddich. But if you're really serious go with the 21. Of course they also offer 40 and 50, but if you have to ask the price you can't afford it.

BTW, only Glenfiddich is audiophile scotch. It makes everything sound real good.

Fixed that for ya! (added the smile)

Monkey shoulder is 3 "family" single malts blended together - and was tasty. It will be the only blend in our cabinet.

I think Scapa 16 is the oldest scotch we have - personally I prefer the Abelour A'bunadh for tasting ...
    but the Balvenie Doublewoods are very nice too.
    My wife bought a bottle of Tamdu - we enjoyed it and bought the last 4 on the shelf in the local ABC store -
    the old bottle, before they closed down the distillery, sold it, and the new owner restarted it.
    We drank one, have an open bottle and gave one away ... and one stashed for the future.

Lots of good scotch to enjoy - but I have cookie baking to do today - gotta scoot!

(Vintage toaster, vintage mixer, & "You Want it Darker" Playing on the vintage speakers - UREI809As)
    Name:  THcookies_3301.jpg
Views: 4236
Size:  93.4 KB

Afterwards - the results of a day of baking ...
    Variations on Toll House cookies
    Name:  THC-tinned_3306.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  127.0 KB

Shortbread cookies - tho the first tray got overcooked, the second is perfecto!

Name:  Shortbread_3304.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  142.3 KB

Ha no scotch expert claim here. Was just funny I had some.
    Hope to see a working pair of L212s reported here in the coming weeks!

Thread Information