Hi everyone,
I have been torturing my L 101 since I have them (around 6 years) and recently my new torture instrument is a mini DSP 2x4 HD. So the passive crossover has been removed (a condo and a pad is protecting the compressions) and the speakers are run in bi amp with two crown D75 in mono for the woofers and a MC275 mkII for the tweeters.
I am playing with the crossover part. I know JBL crossed the drivers at 1500 Hz but there is plenty of space to move this point as both drivers once equalized, overlap from 400 Hz up to 4000 Hz ! (Amazing drivers to me…)
My question bears on polarity: I was convinced that both drivers were of negative polarity. (I checked my self the woofer with a 9V battery). But if I cross them in LR 24dB and put both drivers in phase I get a dip while if I inverse the tweeter polarity I get the nice flat result you see on the picture….
I precise that I respected JBL principle and double checked the wiring: everything is black on black and red on red and the polarity is reversed (for both drivers) at the speaker terminal….
By the ear I have difficulty to tell the difference honestly but since I inverted the tweeters it seemed more harmonious and homogeneous…..
How come ?
What crossover point would you choose ?
Name:  SPEAKER WITH WITH AND WITHOUT PHASE INVERSION ON TWEETER.jpg
Views: 2314
Size:  76.9 KBName:  SEPARATE DRIVERS LEFT SPEAKER.jpg
Views: 1044
Size:  75.4 KB