Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mostly JBL Pro DIY 3-Way

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    I would call this a good result, as FR is only one of many measurements...
    Then there is the listening
    I use both the 2012 & the 2123 in small SR cabinets ( delay +/or front-fill boxes that don't handle much below 100hz ).
    - In that capacity, I find the two models interchangeable ( & audibly, mostly indistinguishable, once EQed ) .

Ultimately though, (at the end-of-the-day PLUS all those other tired cliches ) the 1/2" deep gap ( of the 2012 ) should offer the listener, a higher resolution listening experience .

The trouble is, there are countless different ways to derail arriving at that audible benefit .
    - For instance; nothing turns great audio quality ( quicker ) into some piss poor sounding ( MP3-like ) listening experience, than lousy acoustics ( which is normal in my work experience ).

Anyways, Good Luck NWCg with your project !

Quote Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
    .....The aquaplas coating is critical for home usage in my view, raw titanium is to much for up close listening (13 ft distance from speaker to the primary listening position).....
    Yeah, I gotta disagree with that. Titanium is fine. I sit in the near field (7-8 feet), and my system is very smooth on top. It's what you feed it that matters, imho.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty jefferson View Post
    Yeah, I gotta disagree with that. Titanium is fine. I sit in the near field (7-8 feet), and my system is very smooth on top. It's what you feed it that matters, imho.
    Well, I'm sure not going to disagree with your experience!!!!

Your new speaks look great, NWCgrad! They have a very functional and muscular look to them that is sure to stimulate the appropriate "Look Here" neurons. I especially like the horn loaded midrange speaker. Based on the components alone, those puppies are sure to sing quite a siren's song.

And thanks for posting pics of the build in process. You have a very keen sense of order and precision that is exemplified by your attention to detail - even where the sun don't shine.

Surely you need more bracing, though!

Well done, sir.

GeeDeeEmm

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Your new speaks look great, NWCgrad! They have a very functional and muscular look to them that is sure to stimulate the appropriate "Look Here" neurons. I especially like the horn loaded midrange speaker. Based on the components alone, those puppies are sure to sing quite a siren's song.

And thanks for posting pics of the build in process. You have a very keen sense of order and precision that is exemplified by your attention to detail - even where the sun don't shine.

Surely you need more bracing, though!

Well done, sir.

GeeDeeEmm
    Thanks for the kind words. I am pretty sure I could find a way to wedge more bracing into the cabinets. I spent about a year dreaming/scheming on the project before starting, took awhile to gather all the drivers.

I think he was going for ironic, they look to be well braced.

You did a real nice job. The 2242 is one sweet bass driver. Keep us posted how the tuning goes.

My order of the waveguides and compression drivers should arrive tomorrow. I ended up ordering the JBL 2452H drivers instead of the 2453H-SL (backorder, worried it could take forever to fill the order). I will be ordering the appropriate SL diaphragms for the 2452's ASAP. My understanding is that any of the aquaplas coated 4" diaphragms will work in the 2452's. I will probably order the part number for the 2452 unless I find an exceptional cost differential. I really want the Truextent beryllium, but that will have to wait at least 48 months.

I hope to install them over the weekend, but my wife's 50th birthday is coming up and she may have other plans for the weekend.

Will post measurements soon, waiting until I get the new drivers installed. I am hopeful that the JBL drivers will perform better than the B&C DE250's in this configuration.

Any thoughts on the lowest XO setting that the VTX/STX waveguide will support? I am shooting for 800 Hz, but that may be to low. Measurements and distortion data will be useful for this determination, but if more experienced users could chime in I would be grateful.

Preliminary XO settings (theoretical):
    LF: BW-12, 25 Hz / LR-24, 200 Hz
    MF: LR-24, 200 Hz / LR-24, 800 Hz
    HF: LR-24, 800 Hz / Flat

Will play around with actual XO slopes, theoretical rarely survives measurements and listening tests.

Will post measurements soon, waiting until I get the new drivers installed. I am hopeful that the JBL drivers will perform better than the B&C DE250's in this configuration.
    In my experience with the DE250 and other 1" exit drivers vs larger compression drivers is is they can't compare to the dynamics and less distortion you get out of the bigger drivers. The smaller drivers may have the advantage on HF extension but personally I always find my self gravitating back to the bigger drivers even with out the use of a UHF driver. Of coarse this is all personal preference but I think you'll be happy with the switch.

Al

I returned the 2452H drivers, ordered three 2453H-SL drivers in their place. For less money than the 2452H + the 2452H-SL diaphragms I was able to get three drivers allowing me to have the same waveguide/compression driver across the front.

Ordered a new Dbx VENU360 and three Crown XLS1500 amps to go with my new Crown CT4150 amp. Will have all Harmon products for the LCR'S, from DSP to amplification and drivers.

Once all the materials come in I will be in full dial in mode. Will be taking a lot of measurements in what will likely be an iterative process.

Everthing has arrived, the 2453H-SL drivers were on backorder.

Because the waveguides are rebated into the cabinet, and the JBL ones are slightly larger than the ones they are replacing, I need to make a new jig for routering the recess. Not looking forward to manhandling these brutes. I can't see getting them outside, will router the new waveguide recess in the house. Not a good option, but only removing around 1/8" material on each end of the HF horn rebate.

Hopefully by end of weekend will be 100% complete with construction and can then focus on dialing them in with the dbx unit (which is a great 👍 piece of gear)!

Hopefully by end of weekend will be 100% complete with construction and can then focus on dialing them in with the dbx unit (which is a great 👍 piece of gear)!
    Nice speaker build NWCgrad and thanks for posting all the good picture of your project.
    Btw, Hey, They are really good the Bela Fleck and the Flecktones Thanks for making them visible to me
    Flodstroem

I am glad you like Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, I listen to a wide range of music and this CD is always in the rotation.

When I'm in the right mood, the several BF&F recordings I have are great
    Looking forward to your system progress!

Finally prepared the VTX waveguide and 2453H-SL drivers for mounting. Due to the physical differences between the 2453 and 2452 drivers a 1/2" spacer wad added between the CD and the waveguide.
    Name:  1486047871612-307582584.jpg
Views: 1372
Size:  64.0 KBName:  1486047893267-398665836.jpg
Views: 1312
Size:  56.7 KB

Third midhorn waveguide for future center channel build:
    Name:  bamboo_horn2.jpg
Views: 1285
Size:  89.3 KB

Thread Information