Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mostly JBL Pro DIY 3-Way

Another view of the third midhorn:

Name:  bamboo_horn.jpg
Views: 2513
Size:  94.6 KB

I will modify the horn a bit to make the mouth 3.5" x 3.5" vice the standard 4.5" x 4.5" because I am going to use a new JBL Pro 2169H 8" mid driver for the center channel speaker. This driver was designed for a 4" mouth horn. A 4" circular opening is essentially the same area as a 3.5" x 3.5" mouth. I doubt the 2169H driver will reach 300 Hz, but if it can get to 350 Hz I will be happy.

Is that bamboo, or what am I seeing here?

It is bamboo. Crazy hard material should be great for a horn. I did not make this one, it is being gifted to me. One of the best gifts ever in my view!

Quote Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
    It is bamboo. Crazy hard material should be great for a horn. I did not make this one, it is being gifted to me. One of the best gifts ever in my view!
    Whoever gifted that should talk w/wayne at Pi speakers and see if he would want to stock them- that's really attractive. I'd probably not pursue it personally as I'm sure they'd have to be several benjamins but there's a market for a really great looking horn like that.

Out PHUNKIN Standing! craftsmanship!

I installed the VTX waveguide and 2453H-SL drivers today. Have not had time to measure to optimize. For now I have set the HF XO at 1 kHz, LR-4th order; MF at 200 Hz and 1 kHz, and LF at 200 Hz. I am sure it's not optimal in regards to phase, measurements will tell the story.

I ran autoEQ on the dbx unit to equalize the volume of all the drivers and set preliminary PEQ. Sounds pretty fair for automated, no effort approach.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Front stage:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Outstanding! Howzit sound?

Very nice NWC!! Those are reminiscent of the VS 3218-6's. Very cool speaker!
    Always fun learning more.......

Thanks guys.. Right now they sound pretty good, just tweaking the XO/DSP a bit more. I will post some measurements once I get them off my crappy basement computer I use for measuring.

The inspiration for the build was the 4345, the Cinema 5732, and the VS 3218-6.

Now that this build is mostly done, I am starting on a new center channel build.

I do not have the room for a third one of these monsters, so am going with a similar three way design in a smaller footprint. Design will use a passive XO between the HF and MF drivers, active for the bass.

Name:  JBL VP7315_PRX735 Inspired DIY Design 2.png
Views: 2870
Size:  133.6 KB
    Name:  Rotatable MF_HF section.png
Views: 2172
Size:  107.0 KB

As I don't yet have an acoustically transparent screen, the speaker will have a rotatable HF/MF section. Inspired by the AM7315/95 and the VP7315 designs but with the VTX HF waveguide based on I found from this website site. The 2453H-SL driver sounds great on this waveguide, I did add a 1/2 in spacer between the waveguide and the driver due to phase plug differences outlined in the VTX waveguide thread.

Great project mister!

Looking forward to those measurements when you get around to it. Using REW?

Warren
    DIY Array, 2242 sub, 4408, 4208, Control 8SR, E120 Guitar cab, Control 1, LSR305.

I am using REW, I need to put the files on a memory stick and transfer them to my main computer so I can post them. Sometimes I get lazy.

A few pictures of the Midhorn assembly and one REW graph of the Midhorn in action (taken at ~24 in, unsmoothed)
    Name:  20170224_154007.jpg
Views: 2444
Size:  57.3 KB
    Name:  1a.jpg
Views: 2312
Size:  69.0 KB
    Name:  Various MF Filters.jpg
Views: 2151
Size:  74.2 KB

Looks like I can go out to 2 kHz with the CMCD-82H on this particular horn. I have purchased the components (inductors, capacitors, resistors) to build a variety of crossovers, starting with slightly modified JBL Pro designs (dropped the contour networks and notch filters as I will be running active PEQ to dial in the design).
    Name:  Assortment of JBL Pro XOs - some slightly modified.png
Views: 2555
Size:  67.5 KB

I plan to build all these, test via REW and hopefully listening later on once I build the cabinets. Trying to dial in the XO first, as I know I will get distracted once the cabinet is built.

Schematic of the center channel speaker:
    Name:  Schematic of active_passive approach.jpg
Views: 2414
Size:  60.3 KB

I am thinking of running the two big speakers HF/MF on the dbx Venu360 (along with the pseudo 2-way center) and the LF for the mains using the Peavey unit. The Peavey unit is very limited on PEQ filters (5 per output) and I think I will be better served using the better dbx unit on all the higher frequencies and leaving the Peavey for the bass. I may try to modify the final MF/HF XO I develop for use with the mains, so I would have three pseudo 3-way speakers that could all be ran from the dbx unit.

The idea for using a limited function XO for the MH/HF came from some of the newer JBL Pro designs that have a simple dividing network and rely on DSP for optimizing performance (JBL 7-series reference monitors, VTX M Series, and the VP7315 all come to mind). In fact, I modified a figure from the VTX M Series product literature for my schematic.

Ran a lot more REW measurements today:

Name:  VP7315 XO Measurements.jpg
Views: 2137
Size:  90.2 KB
    Name:  PRX735 XO Measurements.jpg
Views: 2133
Size:  89.3 KB
    Name:  PD6212_95 XO Measurements.jpg
Views: 2021
Size:  88.3 KB
    Name:  AM7315_95 XO Measurements.jpg
Views: 2030