Thread: TAD TH 4001 or 4003 for my TD 4002

TAD TH 4001 or 4003 for my TD 4002

I could use some help or inspiration here. I have a TAD set-up with TAD TL 1602 and 4002 drivers playing in a (nearly) 200 liter cabinet with radial horns (not the TH 4001 though), and a really nice clone of a TAD Exclusive 2402 cross-over (made up of Jensen and Duelund components). Pictures are available on http://www.hifi4all.dk/forum/forum_p...807&PN=1&TPN=2

While I enjoy the loudspeakers, I also believe I can improve them in different ways, but I need some inputs from you.

I know I still have a job to do when it comes to improving the bass, but more importantly and the reason why I ask here: I miss punch in the midrange and have an unwanted peak somewhere in the upper midrange. As none of the components, including cabinet and horns fit the cross-over, the problems hardly come as a surprise.

Changing the cross-over is difficult, as I neither have the theoretical insight or technical knowledge to manipulate this. Changing the components could be a solution. Therefore, what is your experiences on combining a TD 4002 with a 2402 cross-over. Is it problematic and in what way? If I decide to go for a new horn, should I buy a TH 4001 or 4003 for my TD 4002, and how would this work with the cross-over. Or is the only viable option to move to TD 4001 and TH 4001.

And by the way, your 10C on if a tweeter is needed when using 4002, and if TD 4003 is so much better than the 4002 that I should look in that direction.

Best

Rasmus

Quote Originally Posted by Wendt View Post
    I could use some help or inspiration here. I have a TAD set-up with TAD TL 1602 and 4002 drivers playing in a (nearly) 200 liter cabinet with radial horns (not the TH 4001 though), and a really nice clone of a TAD Exclusive 2402 cross-over (made up of Jensen and Duelund components). Pictures are available on http://www.hifi4all.dk/forum/forum_p...807&PN=1&TPN=2

While I enjoy the loudspeakers, I also believe I can improve them in different ways, but I need some inputs from you.

I know I still have a job to do when it comes to improving the bass, but more importantly and the reason why I ask here: I miss punch in the midrange and have an unwanted peak somewhere in the upper midrange. As none of the components, including cabinet and horns fit the cross-over, the problems hardly come as a surprise.

Changing the cross-over is difficult, as I neither have the theoretical insight or technical knowledge to manipulate this. Changing the components could be a solution. Therefore, what is your experiences on combining a TD 4002 with a 2402 cross-over. Is it problematic and in what way? If I decide to go for a new horn, should I buy a TH 4001 or 4003 for my TD 4002, and how would this work with the cross-over. Or is the only viable option to move to TD 4001 and TH 4001.

And by the way, your 10C on if a tweeter is needed when using 4002, and if TD 4003 is so much better than the 4002 that I should look in that direction.

Best

Rasmus
    I guess this would have to be an effort at inspiration. Since you apparently are not confident about engineering a crossover (I believe this is wisdom), and you have a good copy of the 2402 crossover, it may be best to make that the anchor of your system, and move in the direction of standardizing around that. Original TAD horns are hard to find, but there are copies out there--how good I don' t know. The treble driver, horn and high pass network should be considered a triunity for best results. Since the TAD treble drivers are being sold long after the horns were discontinued they clearly are being used on something else. It might be worthwhile asking a TAD dealer for some suggestions.

Your bass cabinet size falls within the range "allowed" by TAD for that woofer, but I wonder how you arrived at that size, and I wonder how it has been built, braced and tuned, not that I have by any means great expertise in those areas.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Thread Information