Thread: Is this a Model 14 driver?

Is this a Model 14 driver?

I was very pleased to find a set of Model 14s. Unfortunately, the 12" drivers were missing. In my quest for finding the original woofers I ran across this one. Is this indeed a Model 14 driver? It sure has the tell tale signs of one. The basket, magnet, and slip on speaker connectors look like the Model 14. However, the cone and dustcover look a little different and in my research I haven't found a model 14 that had a red mark as a + indicator.

I have never seen a JBL driver with a flat edge surround attachment on the front of the cone, yet I am not familiar with a model 14.

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph Don View Post
    I have never seen a JBL driver with a flat edge surround attachment on the front of the cone, yet I am not familiar with a model 14.
    I'm assuming the OP was referring to Altec, not JBL. Maybe this will shed some light?: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...del-14-Woofers
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I'm assuming the OP was referring to Altec, not JBL. Maybe this will shed some light?: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...del-14-Woofers
    Indeed BMWCCA, I was referring to Altec Lansing's Model 14.

There are alot of similarities to the woofer you posted in the link other than the stamp number on the frame, which I can barely make out. It looks like it may have an "8" and a "4" in it?

Also I'm assuming it has been reconed sometime in its life because the cone looks like a different material and color and the dustcap a little smaller in diameter than an original Model 14.

Visually, are there any signs to say that this driver isn't from a Model 15 or Model 9? From my research on the net it looks like Model 15's have push style connectors vs. slide on speaker terminals.

Quote Originally Posted by ams5452 View Post
    Visually, are there any signs to say that this driver isn't from a Model 15 or Model 9? From my research on the net it looks like Model 15's have push style connectors vs. slide on speaker terminals.
    You'll have to wait for the Altec cognoscenti to check in. I'm just a JBL guy . . . other than my Altec Lansing earbuds which I consider disposable, along with my Altec Lansing computer speakers with subs I've purchased for my kids—all of which have failed over time.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Yes sir, ams5452 I believe that is a model 14 woofer. It also fits a model 15. If you decide not to keep it I have a friend who needs one for his model 15. My research found that the Foam kits fit all these…. Altec Lansing Model 8, 9, 14, 15, 9-Series 2, 50-03-034633, 391052, 23897, 33785, 34633, 391927, 53478, 1012, 897a, Santana 2, Stonehenge.

The woofer that came out of my buddy's model 15 looked exactly like that, purple cone included.

Hope that helps.
    Vintage JBL and Altec fan

Thanks for the reply shaansloan. I was pretty much basing my comparison on this post here: http://www.hostboard.com/forums/f700...bs/index2.html
    I have one genuine model 14 part number 34633 on its way from the UK. Just looking for a mate, but not sure that the one I posted here will be a good match according to the above posted link.
    I haven't acquired the driver in question yet.

Thread Information