Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 250ti Purchasing questions

250ti Purchasing questions

Hi All,
    I've located a pair of 250ti's on the other side of the country that I'm considering purchasing.

As I am unable to audition these, I'm attempting to perform as much due diligence as possible before fully committing to them.

The dealer claims that all drivers are original. He says the woofer surrounds have both been replaced. However, he says they were replaced individually about two years apart from one another. I am uncertain if this should be a concern.

The dome on one of the 104H's is crinkled. He claims the performance is unaffected by this.

As is somewhat standard on most of the 250ti's, the bottom lip on each cabinet has some chipping (see photos).

He is charging, what I consider to be, top dollar for this pair ($2800, plus shipping).

While I realize this is a personal decision, I am hoping to receive some feedback regarding the wisdom of this purchase.

Would I be better served to find something local to me? I live in Socal and there are many, many speakers available locally. Just no teak 250ti's.

I thankful for any feedback, opinions, and/or advice.

Lastly, I have more photos...if that would help.
    Name:  250.1.jpg
Views: 1196
Size:  105.7 KBName:  250.4.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  77.1 KBName:  250.2.jpg
Views: 1052
Size:  96.5 KBName:  250.3.jpg
Views: 1056
Size:  37.7 KBName:  250.5.jpg
Views: 1032
Size:  51.3 KB

$2800 plus maybe $400 in shipping gives you a lot of leeway for comparison shopping. Is there something you can find locally with 14" goodness to compare?
    Point being that any of the various models with 14-15" woofers will have some things in common. Obviously nothing compares to the grace and style of the 250, but the value of that is up to you.

You are lucky enough to live where these practically grow on trees so I'd just be patient and wait for a local set. Leave the ones on the right coast for some local JBL fan to buy. It took me a year to find mine and another year to get them upgraded from L250 to 250Ti. It's worth the wait for the right ones.

And if some XPL200's show up first, go hear them before you decide...

jblnut

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    $2800 plus maybe $400 in shipping gives you a lot of leeway for comparison shopping. Is there something you can find locally with 14" goodness to compare?
    Point being that any of the various models with 14-15" woofers will have some things in common. Obviously nothing compares to the grace and style of the 250, but the value of that is up to you.
    I've listened to a pair of 4430's. With the pair I listed to, I found the highs to be lacking for my taste and passed. The bass was fantastic.

As far as comparison shopping goes, I'm currently being tempted by a locally available pair of B&W Matrix 800's...the BIG, funky looking ones that received a glowing review from Lewis Lipnick.

Quote Originally Posted by jblnut View Post
    You are lucky enough to live where these practically grow on trees so I'd just be patient and wait for a local set. Leave the ones on the right coast for some local JBL fan to buy. It took me a year to find mine and another year to get them upgraded from L250 to 250Ti. It's worth the wait for the right ones.

And if some XPL200's show up first, go hear them before you decide...

jblnut
    These 250's, as you know, are rare beasts....regardless of where you live. I located this pair purely by accident. I actually spotted them tucked into the corner of a photo advertising a different pair of JBL's for sale. I fear letting them slip from my grasp. I just don't want to pay top dollar for a beat-up set.

Curiously enough, there seem to be plenty of 250's in Europe...at least the LE piano black ones.

I was unaware of the XPL200's. Thanks for the tip, although I don't currently see any for sale....anywhere. Looks like another unicorn. I can be patient for "the right" speakers.

"be patient young Skywalker"....sage advice for Jedi or JBL shoppers alike.

You will find 10 more pairs in LA before another comes up on the East Coast...that is certain. They don't seem to be that rare out there and I can't count how many I had to pass up out there because of shipping concerns.

If you're willing to stretch some on the budget the Array 1400's are already into the $5k range. Might be worth a listen to those if you can find a pair.

Of if you are really up for something unique...these look...insanely awesome!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-JBL-X...AAAOSw44BYLeww

jblnut

"be patient young Skywalker"....sage advice for Jedi or JBL shoppers alike.

You will find 10 more pairs in LA before another comes up on the East Coast...that is certain. They don't seem to be that rare out there and I can't count how many I had to pass up out there because of shipping concerns.

If you're willing to stretch some on the budget the Array 1400's are already into the $5k range. Might be worth a listen to those if you can find a pair.

Of if you are really up for something unique...these look...insanely awesome!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-JBL-X...AAAOSw44BYLeww

jblnut
    Sage advice, indeed. Thank you.

I actually saw that pair you just linked when I did the XPL200 search.

I had no clue what to make of them. I'm wayyyy too much of a novice to even understand what this fellow has built. You think they may be worth a listen, eh?

He's got some quality parts in there for sure. You may have to supply a lot of discrete channels of amplification because he's using an active Xover, but that's not that hard actually. Any decent multi-channel home amp could get you up and running.

Not sure he'll get even close to that asking price...check in with him in a few months and see where he is at. At $3k it's just about a no brainer. At $4k you need a true JBL enthusiast with some deep pockets. And at $5.5k where he is at ? Probably a pretty touch sell....

jblnut

I'd say the pair of 250ti's you've found are overpriced for their condition by about $1000, even before you figure the shipping. You're lucky to live in California, as others have said. Just be patient and keep looking. The right pair will show up. This is how I found mine, about 100-miles from my house.

Name:  250ti in boxes.jpg
Views: 3790
Size:  53.7 KB
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thanks for confirming my doubts about this pair and for the solid advice.

I'll keep an eye out locally, as suggested. Something cool is certain to appear.

I've been watching the market on 250Ti's since buying my pair in 2008.

They generally sell in the $2,000 range ... very few go higher. And even at that price they'd better be near perfect. (except for the dreaded "skirt damage") . I really enjoy mine and bought them w/o having heard them in advance. They do NOT have the classic JBL "West Coast" sound. Probably more accurate. Lots of bass, when the program material actually calls for it.

SoCal should be a happy hunting ground for them, they will appear if you wait. Be willing to make a drive.

There are not really any problem areas. The 044ti tweets are vulnerable , and if you do buy the 250's, then look for a 044 donor set of lesser speakers for backups. (18ti is a favorite backup)
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I'd be ready to send the 044Ti's out for replacement of the foam damper. Mine are getting done right now and I'm hoping this finally gets the high end to settle down some. Been trying to voice them with tube rolls and cables, but it was time for the big hammer approach.

That and a re-foam of the LE14H-1 and you'll be good for another 20 years....

jblnut

I'd be ready to send the 044Ti's out for replacement of the foam damper. Mine are getting done right now and I'm hoping this finally gets the high end to settle down some. Been trying to voice them with tube rolls and cables, but it was time for the big hammer approach.

That and a re-foam of the LE14H-1 and you'll be good for another 20 years....

jblnut
    I fear mine should be requiring some attention soon.

Bought them out of the Seattle area many years ago, and they have lived in our dry climate here so far so good, but the clock is ticking.

I'd be ready to send the 044Ti's out for replacement of the foam damper.

jblnut
    If you are a quasi DIY person, we batted that op around in this thread ==>>

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ighlight=044ti
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

You might want to check these out: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ele/5869641645.html

Asking price is high, but you can always make a offer.

Sure looks like a stock catalog photo.
    Even at the asking price, it's a better deal than $2800 and cross-country shipping!

For posterity:

JBL 250ti vintage speakers-colectors item! - $3000 (Redding)

These are rare speakers! What's more rare is the condition they are in!! Excellent condition for there age. I also have an extra set of midranges and tweeters for these speakers. Woofers have been re-coned.
    Call Doug at
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thread Information