Thread: L300 LE85 2470 swap

L300 LE85 2470 swap

So I came across a real nice pair of 2470's (phenolic diaphragms) on Ebay. I was going to put some titanium diaphrams in them and compare them to the LE85 diaphrams (Original D16R2420). But my curiosity got the best of me so I decided to put them in my L300s and see how they sound. To my surprise, they sound better than the LE85s. Much warmer and smoother. I'll do more critical listening this weekend, but those LE85s may not be going back in. Has anyone else did that particular swap, i'll be interested in knowing your thoughts.

There is a subset of hi fi nuts, including one of our fearless founders, who prefer phenolic diaphragms to any of the metals. Never tried them myself. I have a pair of 2470's I was going to try in something, but my search ended with beryllium.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    There is a subset of hi fi nuts, including one of our fearless founders, who prefer phenolic diaphragms to any of the metals. Never tried them myself. I have a pair of 2470's I was going to try in something, but my search ended with beryllium.
    I personally think they sound better. Makes me kinda wonder why JBL didn't offer that particular setup.....077, 2470 and 2235

Well...,

I used LE175s for many years in my quasi-L300s because the 175 is warmer than any of the 2420s/LE85s I had listened to. So I hear what you are saying.

Then I got a pair of 4320s that had tangential diaphragms. These were warmer than the other 2420s/LE85s I had heard (diamond surrounds) and while not quite as warm as the LE175s, they had better intelligability and coupled with the longer L300 horns, replaced the LE175s/HL-91 horns in my cabinets.

Earlier this year I happened upon an original tangential 2420 diaphragm that looks to be in perfect shape and "ohms" perfectly (within 0.2 ohm of my L/R). It was mismarked on ebay as a 2412 and put in a 2421 diaphragm box, and I guess that no one but me recognized it for what it is, so I got it for the minimum $65 bid price. My center speaker has a 2420 with a 2421 diaphragm, and this will be changed to the tangential diaphragm when the woofers are refoamed this week.

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    Well...,

I used LE175s for many years in my quasi-L300s because the 175 is warmer than any of the 2420s/LE85s I had listened to. So I hear what you are saying.

Then I got a pair of 4320s that had tangential diaphragms. These were warmer than the other 2420s/LE85s I had heard (diamond surrounds) and while not quite as warm as the LE175s, they had better intelligability and coupled with the longer L300 horns, replaced the LE175s/HL-91 horns in my cabinets.

Earlier this year I happened upon an original tangential 2420 diaphragm that looks to be in perfect shape and "ohms" perfectly (within 0.2 ohm of my L/R). It was mismarked on ebay and put in a 2425 diaphragm box, and I guess that no one but me recognized it for what it is, so I got it for the minimum $65 bid price. My center speaker has a 2420 with a 2421 diaphragm, and this will be changed to the tangential diaphragm when the woofers are refoamed this week.
    I have the original tangential (LE-85/2420) diaphragms. The DCR on mine are 6.2 and 6.5 ohms respectively. The 2470s sound better to me. It could be the crossover (40+ yrs old), the equipment i'm using (Emotiva), the dynamics of the room or a combination of all 3. When I have time, I'm going to make a Nelson pass crossover (with ClarityCap ESP) and bi amp with tubes on the highs/mids and SS on the bottom with active crossover. Then I'm going to compare the two (LE-85 vs 2470) and see if I still have the same opinion. But in stock condition, the 2470 is much better than the LE-85/2420...to my ear anyway. But as we all know, this is a very subjective thing

Quote Originally Posted by 300_Summit View Post
    I have the original tangential (LE-85/2420) diaphragms... The 2470s sound better to me. It could be the crossover (40+ yrs old)...
    It could be the networks, it could be subjective opinion. I think it is most likely that your old original diaphragms need replacing. The unfortunate truth is that JBL's aluminum diaphragms simply wear out. If you want more info on the topic search for "work hardening".

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    It could be the networks, it could be subjective opinion. I think it is most likely that your old original diaphragms need replacing. The unfortunate truth is that JBL's aluminum diaphragms simply wear out. If you want more info on the topic search for "work hardening".

Widget
    I think I will get some new diaphragms for the LE-85s (once I build my new networks) and compare the two.

Check this out if you haven't seen it.

Thread Information