Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Samsung to acquire Harman

Samsung to acquire Harman

Bloomberg is reporting this 2am Monday 11/14/16.... can't find any other news on this transaction....

...Sidney [RIP] and Jane hit the social scene...

What an interesting turn of events, especially for Allan Devantier and Jerry Moro

The solution to the problem changes the problem.
    -And always remember that all of your equipment was made by the lowest bidder

This should be interesting...or devastating.
    DIY Array, 2242 sub, 4408, 4208, Control 8SR, E120 Guitar cab, Control 1, LSR305.

Thumbs down

Samsung's looking at it as the acquisition of an auto supplier company?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...llion/93786364

I guess Pollywog finally leads the company into the swamp and confirms his status as a slime-eating bottom feeder. "But I made a lot of money! Thanks Sidney. Hope you're proud of me." (not an actual quote)

Out.

Good News

I think this could be good news. Koreans love JBL. Maybe Samsung will take a long term approach
    and build the brand. Current management was just looking for a quick buck.

The future is here

Name:  JBL1.JPG
Views: 1150
Size:  63.0 KB
    The solution to the problem changes the problem.
    -And always remember that all of your equipment was made by the lowest bidder

I lived in the Marriott hotel in S. Korea for +3 years.... The Koreans are driven to succeed but I assume Samsung will destroy any remaining value of this company.... hopefully, I am wrong....

The press report on the transaction indicates that Harman is a "force" in car audio.... Really?

Could someone please, please, please tell me how Harmon/JBL lost the sound reinforcement business? In recent years, I'm rarely seeing any JBL equipment flown for music concerts, ball games, race tracks, etc.

HOW THE HELL DID THIS HAPPEN?

This could go any of a hundred ways but I am doubtful that Samsung would let such valuable brands wither and die. Having a backer with the funding necessary to breathe life into the company areas we love is promising.

However it's really easy to be pessimistic because (my .02) Asian companies are not all that great for audio. Short of some interesting really high end stuff from Sony I have no memory of ever finding a Samsung or LG audio product tempting in any way. I have no doubt one result will be more branding of Harmon brands in bastardized products like TV's with "sound by JBL" or other such garbage. Samsung phones with JBL speakers, etc.
    JBL doesn't want to sell you Performance Series speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Slare View Post
    This could go any of a hundred ways but I am doubtful that Samsung would let such valuable brands wither and die.
    Harman has been doing a pretty good job of letting their own brands wither and die... I can't imagine Samsung making this situation worse.

Having a backer with the funding necessary to breathe life into the company areas we love is promising.
    I don't think money has been in short supply... it has been a "vision thing". With luck someone at Samsung will bring a new vision to this group of companies.

I have no doubt one result will be more branding of Harmon brands in bastardized products like TV's with "sound by JBL" or other such garbage. Samsung phones with JBL speakers, etc.
    You can count on that, but that sort of thing is harmless.

Widget

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Zeppeli View Post
    This should be interesting...or devastating.
    Yes. JBL has been an automotive supplier for some decades starting with Lincoln in the seventies. Business is booming as customers demand more and more high performance audio in their cars - a big seller! I have two huge Harman sites within 5 miles of my house. Today, cars are rolling entertainment capsules and JBL/Harman and numerous others are more than willing to provide whatever is needed. This is not the 50s; any successful business is looking for new markets - especially in this global environment. It's compete or die - it doesn't have to be a negative. Time marches on.

Hey i fully agree with the evolve or die principle for businesses. I just wonder how Harman's other business ventures (dbx, Crown JBL) will be affected by the change. If the automotive business represents 65% of their revenue then that spreads the other areas pretty thin.
    DIY Array, 2242 sub, 4408, 4208, Control 8SR, E120 Guitar cab, Control 1, LSR305.

For me it's getting harder to even care.

Oldsmobile Pontiac and Mercury are gone, brands I just thought would be around for ever.

The mission critical dbx and Crown stuff is still made here and for the moment so I am going to try to fill in my want list before the future obscures my abilities to buy from home.

It's funny, for several reasons I bought a pair of Danley SH50's and they have become my easy favorite overall for casual listening. I guess there is still somewhere to shop for me.

At least Music Group didn't get JBL.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Thread Information