Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: An Affordable Music Server

Thanks grumpy. Rane was the first place I checked before I posted. I may try the direct method to see how it works before obtaining impedance matching XFMRs etc.

My latest conundrum is wondering whether or not the digital volume control of the Connect will effect resolution at lower listening levels.

All part of the learning curve here.
    DIY Array, 2242 sub, 4408, 4208, Control 8SR, E120 Guitar cab, Control 1, LSR305.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Zeppeli View Post
    My latest conundrum is wondering whether or not the digital volume control of the Connect will effect resolution at lower listening levels.
    Yes it will. Consider the digital volume control as a low-fi convenience feature.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    You can use a Chromecast Audio, with BubbleUPnP server and Logitech Media Server on your PC, and the paid version of the BubbleUPnP app on an Android phone or tablet. Total cost is under $40 and it streams up to 24/96 files (flac or wav), from the hard drive, or even the cloud without a PC. You can also use it for Tidal and other streaming services if you're OK with CD quality.
    No reaction to my under $40 solution? OK, I'll sell you one of my Kromecasters, which does 24/192 instead of just 24/96, for $3,499.

No reaction to my under $40 solution? OK, I'll sell you one of my Kromecasters, which does 24/192 instead of just 24/96, for $3,499.
    If I didn't already have a few Sonos Connects I'd definitely be looking at the Chromecast Audio. I have a few Chromecasts (original version) and they're great.
    DIY Array, 2242 sub, 4408, 4208, Control 8SR, E120 Guitar cab, Control 1, LSR305.

If I didn't already have a few Sonos Connects I'd definitely be looking at the Chromecast Audio. I have a few Chromecasts (original version) and they're great.
    Connect a regular (or new Chromecast Ultra) to an HDMI DAC and you have a "high end" Chromecast Audio. That's essentially what my Kromecaster is. You don't even need a computer (server) running if you've uploaded your files to the cloud. One Drive works the best. There's a tiny bit more lag time when playing files from the cloud vs. from a local server, but you can't beat the cool factor. It's the future of high end audio, I assure you. I've been doing it this way since 2014.

Connect a regular (or new Chromecast Ultra) to an HDMI DAC and you have a "high end" Chromecast Audio. That's essentially what my Kromecaster is. You don't even need a computer (server) running if you've uploaded your files to the cloud. One Drive works the best. There's a tiny bit more lag time when playing files from the cloud vs. from a local server, but you can't beat the cool factor. It's the future of high end audio, I assure you. I've been doing it this way since 2014.
    So the server is ... not needed. I just plug the Chromecast thingee into a spare HDMI port on my receiver,
    (or an HDMI DAC, apparently), plug in its power supply and ... pick what I want to hear on my phone?
    I use my phone to stream tracks from my NAS or existing computer to my audio system with this?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    So the server is ... not needed. I just plug the Chromecast thingee into a spare HDMI port on my receiver,
    (or an HDMI DAC, apparently), plug in its power supply and ... pick what I want to hear on my phone?
    I use my phone to stream tracks from my NAS or existing computer to my audio system with this?
    I've never used a regular Chromecast with a receiver but yeah. And I don't even know what an NAS is so it must be easy. If you want to stream music files from your computer's hard disk you will need to install (and configure) BubbleUPnP Server and Logitech Media Server on your computer and put BubbleUPnP ($3.99) on your Android (sorry iPhone users) phone or tablet. If you have previously uploaded the files to One Drive (other cloud services alter the files), you can stream them with just the phone. The Chromecast Audio has its own DAC (firmware limited to 24/96 for now) so you just plug it into a high level analog audio input of your preamp or receiver. The Chromecast Audio sounds (and measures) quite good. I've compared it to extensively to my $3,499 Kromecaster and they're very close indeed, even when it's downrezzing to 24/96. Not bad for 100/th the price! There is a bit of setup involved, but once you've configured everything the sound and ease of use is as good as it gets. For under $40. Here's an archived link to the first version. The current version has a choke filtered power supply and a much nicer case and sells for a lot more. link http://web.archive.org/web/201503202...omecaster.com/

I did a quick google - wikipedia says

Network-attached storage (NAS) is a file-level computer data storage server connected to a computer network providing data access to a heterogeneous group of clients. NAS is specialized for serving files either by its hardware, software, or configuration.

================================================== =============================

So basically it allows you to put drives on your network without having to run an actual computer OS/server -
    No windows, no MacOS to worry about - probably a simple Unix varient server burned into firmware in the drive case ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I did a quick google - wikipedia says

Network-attached storage (NAS) is a file-level computer data storage server connected to a computer network providing data access to a heterogeneous group of clients. NAS is specialized for serving files either by its hardware, software, or configuration.

================================================== =============================

So basically it allows you to put drives on your network without having to run an actual computer OS/server -
    No windows, no MacOS to worry about - probably a simple Unix varient server burned into firmware in the drive case ...
    I don't know exactly how the whole thing works, but "it" allows you to stream WAV or FLAC files from a computer that's on the same wireless network as the Chromecast attached to your stereo, or from Tidal or any other Chromecast compatible streaming service, AND your own files that you've uploaded to One Drive, even with your computer tuned off. Loading 24 bit files from the cloud takes a few seconds longer than from the computer, but it's a bit more elegant (in the physics definition of the word) and if your computer is in the same room as your system and has audible fan noise, that's a plus. I demoed it (The Kromecaster) at the 2014 in the Harman room, but it never really took off and other things have taken over my life in the interim so I haven't been able to market it properly.

I just use a 'NAS' (external hard drive) attached via USB to my router. It shows up as a network drive on all devices on my wifi network and we can stream from there.

The cloud seems like a cool idea but for some reason I distrust it with my music collection.

Warren

Yeah, I use the decicedly non-budget approach of Synology NAS with Sonos Connect in most every room and the garage. I also have a couple of Chromecasts and one PC with all my ripped flac files (stored on the NAS) arranged with JRiver - and of course I can still play the CDs. It's hard to beat the Connect for flexibility and ease of use, at the expense of expense, but stream off the net or off a storage drive/NAS, you can even hook a turntable up to line in and play albums to every other Connect system. Hella dinero for even a couple of rooms - you still need a stereo system for each Connect, and they don't do hi-res files.

TL: DR Not a budget solution.

...The cloud seems like a cool idea but for some reason I distrust it with my music collection.

Warren
    It's not like I upload my files and delete the originals, I've just keep a clone my music collection "up there."

Mac mini server problem

I've been running a similar set up for about two years, but have recently been having a problem. The setup is a 2.1 mini USB>Bryston BUC-1 S/PDIF>Bryston BDA-1. The BUC-1 makes itself the master clock. Until recently this all worked very well. A short time after turn on signal is lost except for very brief bursts. When the BUC-1 is switched off the Mac system midi defaults to internal audio. and I can hear the music over the internal speaker. When I change the sample frequency in the Mac's audio midi utility burst interval and duration both change. I substituted another UBS converter with a similar result: worked fine for some weeks and then the same symptom. Is this a clock fight? Any help would be appreciated.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

I've been hearing music since restarting the Mac 165 minutes ago. (I can also hear the IT people groaning.)

Rev:5:10 pm
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Have you tried bypassing the BUC-1? In my system this sounds pretty darned good and no problem yet.

Widget

Thread Information