Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: JBL L5 set vs Studio

I would have really preferred the Cherry.

I just hope they aren't damaged when they arrive, seems like shipping issues are very common. Pretty stoked!

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    Yes, the UPS monkeys are still on their mission to wreck everything that rolls past them. However, the damage my 580 cabs had was from production, not shipping (except for one speaker), and it was on two different pairs not just the first pair. I don't know how they got by QC. A few people at JBL got an earful for that I can tell you.

I'd recommend that as soon as you unpack them, inspect every cabinet edge/corner for dents and the interface around the horn and how the grilles sit when mounted. They should be flush with the baffle, not bowed out in the area just below the horn. IMO, whoever designed the grille interface should have specified another pair of studs there to counteract that tendency.

Also inspect the feet where they screw into the underside of the cabinet. They can crack the MDF or be pulled out from dropping the boxes on the ground. One of the 580s took that damage as I stood and watched the delivery primate drop it from shoulder height to the floor. IMO, JBL should have designed the stabilizer feet to be user-installed to help avoid that problem, but natch Harmin' just had to save a few pennies there. Idiots.

The 590s are of course heavier and larger, so if you have shipping damage I'd recommend contacting JBL and insisting that a replacement pair be shipped truck freight on a pallet. That's how mine arrived intact.

A few more basic things: when positioning, keep them away from the walls! They'll have plenty of low end a few feet out from the rear wall and better soundstage away from side walls. Use the bi-wire or bi-amp option if possible. Give them at least 40-60 hours of playing time to start sounding like they should.
    Lastly, turn them up to 103.4 dB and bask in the pleasant reality that you didn't buy a set of Klipsch "Reference" series.

Someone needs to dissect a pair of these and show us what the innards look like. Ti-Dome style.

LowPhreak, really appreciate that write up. Looks like they are arriving truck freight tomorrow.

They'll be bi-amped through a HT receiver until I figure out my active setup.

I'll report back when they are setup and broken in!

Calestus - No problemo any time. I think you'll like them. BTW, they're pretty flat across most of the midrange though you may notice the 2-3dB peak around 8-9kHz, but it's easy to tame with a mere 11 o'clock position on a typical 10kHz treble pot or similar.

For your perusal. I don't recall if this plot was anechoic or adjusted for in-room, but at any rate it shows the general FR curve and is helpful for the mids and upper end. I have more such as impedance, X-O points and port responses if you're interested.

Name:  JBL Studio 590 FreqResp.jpg
Views: 1074
Size:  57.5 KB

Don - I've been inclined to do so, but didn't think anyone would be interested. I've had the mid/woofs out and poked around a bit; the X-Os seem to be half decent, etc.

Maybe I'll dig out my camera and give it a go.

I have the ones from here:

http://i.nextmedia.com.au/avhub/aust...ers-review.pdf

Do they differ much from the ones you have?

No, I've seen that review and the measurements I have are virtually the same so all good. The FR curve above I think was from a report out of Europe.

Is this speaker built in the Mexico facility or elsewhere?
    The Studio 590

Looks as if you all caught a good deal, that or an error
    This 590 model is back priced at a grand a pop
    Discovered that while trying to determine country of manufacture using the link from page one of this thread (still no luck there)
    http://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/STUD...=Black#start=1

Assembled in P.R.C

Like almost everything else these days.

Quote Originally Posted by LowPhreak View Post
    the interface around the horn and how the grilles sit when mounted. They should be flush with the baffle, not bowed out in the area just below the horn. IMO, whoever designed the grille interface should have specified another pair of studs there to counteract that tendency.
    Speakers are here! No damage, but...
    Arhg! I have the above, it is bowed out and the grills look "wavy" across the face when they are on. *sigh* Guess I'll shoot them an email.

They sound great already and are squarely in the more enjoyable than the L5s they replaced category. The L5s really needed my pair of subs to sound their best with EQ cutoff at ~60hz. I haven't even bothered to kick the subs on with the 590s yet.

I bought these to save on electricity is what I'm telling my wife. If you don't hear from me again, she came home and used something pointy or heavy and blunt on me

Eh...subs, shlubs. If I still had the REL Stentor III I'd bring it in somewhere around the low 30s and the 590 would do the rest. But not really needed unless you're...a LowPhreak. Quit reminding me of how much I miss that thing.

I don't care much about saving no stinkin' electricity. But I'll remember that one for future reference. Good luck with the wife!

Seriously though, see if you can contact Chris Smith at JBL (if he's still there). I still have his phone # I can PM you. He did the search for replacement grilles but be warned: it took almost a year to find some. He even checked EU at one point but no luck. I'm sure he's just itching to do that again. haha Ridiculous but eventually I received a new pair.

Same Chris? If so, he may be busy
    http://pro.harman.com/news/harman-ap...tions-division

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Sullivan View Post
    Yep that's him AFAIK. Well then someone else may have to help, but I have to say Chris hung in there until replacements were found, also with continuous prodding from me.

Not an easy thing since apparently JBL hates keeping any inventory around nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by LowPhreak View Post
    Eh...subs, shlubs.
    Ha, Love the low's. I built two sealed 10s being fed by ~900w each just for my 2.2 setup.

Thread Information