Thread: Le14a dcr parameters

Le14a dcr parameters

Hello,
    I do not own the multimeter to test such a function, but a long time local stereo shop, I called was able to test the le14a for me free. it read 6.3,6.4 on the meter, after the test. I just wanted to confirm
    This is an acceptable dcr reading for this speaker, the lable it cam with is un readable while I bought it as an 8ohm I just wassent sure. its not blow, just needed surround, the worker at the store felt it was blown do tne the diminished lansaloy. he was saying the reading would not represent a actual figure it blow.

Name:  20161102_124938.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  105.6 KB
    Name:  20161102_125030.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  92.4 KB

Yeah, direct current resistance is one component of impedance, which in a voice coil experiencing signal, an alternating current, usually includes some inductive reactance and therefore usually will be a higher number.

Your friendly tech was probably using the term "blown," usually meaning dead due to abuse, as a synonym for "no good" in general. The dcr number indicates the voice coil is good. As long as there are no other problems the woofer should work after a new surround is installed.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

My second le14a arrived just a few minutes ago, from Nh.
    I've noticed the early alnico baskets are heavier then later serials my le10 alnico
    are the same way. the earlier mean newer serials are also taller. the basket itself to me feels
    lighter, but overall heavier dut to its magnet. the cone is also in nicer shape.

I noticed a seem around the edge of the surround of the newer le14a as well, which I tried to document
    Name:  20161102_132252.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  68.2 KB
    Name:  20161102_132302.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  77.3 KB
    Name:  20161102_132829.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  60.5 KB
    Name:  20161102_132806.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  43.2 KB

Anyhelp you can give me, on how to revive the baskets the aluminum has markings id like to restore back to the satin finish.

Interesting observation about the differences in frame/motor depth. I've never noticed that. Both surrounds need to be replaced with new correct black foam surrounds.

The black lines on the one frame face are paint, I think. I've never cleaned any, but I assume paint remover will take it off, although it may not be easy to recover the pure brushed aluminum look. Use that stuff in a well ventilated place, like a patio on a sunny afternoon.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

The only tips I can give is when new surround is glued it should also be on the front of the cone (as the lancaloy was) otherwise
    the voice coil will not be centered in the magnetic gap.
    Flodstroem

Interesting, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by bldozier View Post
    Anyhelp you can give me, on how to revive the baskets the aluminum has markings id like to restore back to the satin finish.
    Once I restored some LE8T baskets that looked even more worth than your LE14 baskets. I sanded them but not in a usual way you use the sandpaper. I turned the baskets upside down and pushed them on the sandpaper that was mounted to a very flat surface. I think I used the 40 grit but Im not sure about that.
    Regarding the sandpaper, I used that type of sandpaper that came from a sanding machine eg. a sanding belt. I cut it in the joint where the belt was glued. Then I had a loooong sanding paper for to push the basket on. You can try different grits depending on the original pattern on the baskets, something between 20-80 grit The clue here is to push the speaker in the same direction all the time so you dont get cross markings. For to move the speaker for to sand another area you have to lift the speaker and move it to another part for sanding keeping the same angel/direction
    Hope you understand my explanation
    Flodstroem

Name:  20161102_132302.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  77.3 KB

Name:  20161104_102229.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  55.0 KB

This is the 100grit. upon finishing I may drop down to 80/60

Wow, look at that
    I think the 60 grit will be fine (I think its closest to the original). You also had to finish with som type of thin varnish for to protect it from debris, oxidation, corrosion etc............
    Looks fine so far.......
    Flodstroem

Thread Information