Thread: jbl lsr32 and lsr6332 mid/tweet changed side?

jbl lsr32 and lsr6332 mid/tweet changed side?

hi
    I have the JBL LSR32 speakers. I use them in the upright position.
    my question is, when in the upright position, do the mid/tweet is on the inside or outside?
    im really confuse about this because on the manual, it seems its supposed to be on the outside (look page 7, its written JBL LSR32L (left I suppose mean Left):
    http://warehousesound.com/r/jblLSRmanual.pdf

BUT
    it seems the new jbl lsr6332 is inverted? meaning the tweeter/mid is shown to be on the inside: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LSR6332L

im very confuse about this and would like to know if indeed, the jbl lsr 6332 and jbl lsr 32 mid/tweet position have indeed changed design wise and that the lsr32 mid/tweet must be on the outside VS lsr6332 in the inside....

thanks

Usually you'd put the mid/highs to the outside to widen the imaging; especially in the near-field. I wouldn't put too much credence in the Sweetwater pics, they're probably backwards.
    DIY Array, 2242 sub, 4408, 4208, Control 8SR, E120 Guitar cab, Control 1, LSR305.

I think your right and both the lsr32 and lsr6332 mid/tweet needs to be on the outside.

the lsr 6332 manual shows the right speaker
    https://www.jblpro.com/ProductAttach...BL.LSR6332.pdf

sweetwater have inverted the speakers.

Don't know if JBL has ever published polar plots for them, so aside from the way they are labeled, it's a matter of how they work best in your room, the trade off being width of soundstage versus any concern you may have about early reflections from side walls.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

In the Harman room the tweeters are positioned inboard.

http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2009/0...-listener.html

When you take the right speaker and use it in the horizontal configuration outboard becomes inboard. My guess is their intent is tweeters inboard but the rotating baffle adds some confusion. I think speakerdave said it best because its still comes down to what works in your room.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I have played with the midtweet inside or outside when the lsr32 are placed vertically (woofer under the mid/highs) and my findings is that the LSR32 sounds plain odd when placed on the outside like JBL recommends.
    imaging is too diffuse when the mid/tweet is on the outside and I find the highs stick to the speaker and doesnt seem to escape the speaker.

I much prefer the sound when the mid/tweet is placed on the inside like this just like in the Harman room:
    free upload image

The relevant factor determining your listening experience, as you describe it, may be your listening position, it being correct for one orientation of the speakers and not the other.

Another factor, as mentioned in one of the early responses to your post, is the distance to the sidewall, which seems to be different for the two speakers, and the one on the right is probably close enough to the tweeter/midrange when they are in the outer position to cause an early reflection which would scramble the image.

In any case, your having found a satisfactory way to use those speakers is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    The relevant factor determining your listening experience, as you describe it, may be your listening position, it being correct for one orientation of the speakers and not the other.

Another factor, as mentioned in one of the early responses to your post, is the distance to the sidewall, which seems to be different for the two speakers, and the one on the right is probably close enough to the tweeter/midrange when they are in the outer position to cause an early reflection which would scramble the image.

In any case, your having found a satisfactory way to use those speakers is a good thing.
    its a illusion, since there's a corner behind the left speaker that go to the balcony. the left speaker is actually not closer to the side wall then the right side.

the right speaker measure very good, almost ruler flat: very impressive measurements for a untreated room. my listening position is 38% away from the back wall.

but the left side measurements are much worst. I have a peak at 1khz and around 100hz. I think ill try to move the left speaker away from the side wall indeed: screw the decor!
    ill report back

Fitting a stereo into a living room and trying to optimize the imaging can be a real challenge. I love good imaging because it adds to the excitement of assembling a successful system. To tell the truth, though, when just listening to music I usually don't care about it.

Lucky those who have a dedicated listening room!

Personally, Id go as far as to say that too good imaging is somewhat confusing for me. The kef ls50 for exmaple image somehow so spaciously that I find myself losing concentration from the music and just listen to the special imaging.

I finally made it . took me 3 hours to find a good enough place for the left speaker and then readjust the right speaker. the odd thing is that no matter the position or the L or R speaker, I am not able to get rid of a small 600hz to 1.2 khz bump of about 4db. Im able to have a relatively flat response from 50hz to 1.2khz (minus the 600hz to 1.2khz bump) but then from 2khz to 20khz, its very flat but about -3db in comparison to 50hz to 600hz. Looking at that, one would think the sound would be dark. but somehow music sounds a bit brighter then id like. not sure why... Maybe its the characteristic of the Kevlar midrange to sound a bit... hard?

ill post my measurements tomorrow. all in all though, for the money I spent for the lsr32, Im laughing at the quality of SQ and the dynamic and the imaging is definitely great (better then my small harbeth). not as good in the mid as my small harbeth, but still very enjoyable for my secondary setup and for rock music well they ROCK

Thread Information