Thread: WiConnect to Eliminate Subwoorer

WiConnect to Eliminate Subwoorer

I've dealt with subwoofer hum for years. I've got it to where it's minimal but it's still there. I saw this linked device from Velodyne and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with one or something similar.

My subs are only about 8 feet away from the equipment rack. I'm using a Crown amp to power the subs and an Audiocontrol Richter Scale III crossover. It appears that this might be a nice way to break the ground connection.

Any my experiences or comments are appreciated. Thanks!

http://velodyneacoustics.com/product-accessories/wiconnect-system.html

http://velodyneacoustics.com/pdf/wic...stemManual.pdf

A transformershould eliminate the hum completely

Have a look at

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/

They have special subwoofer solutions.

Ruediger

Quote Originally Posted by svollmer View Post
    I've dealt with subwoofer hum for years. I've got it to where it's minimal but it's still there. I saw this linked device from Velodyne and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with one or something similar.

My subs are only about 8 feet away from the equipment rack. I'm using a Crown amp to power the subs and an Audiocontrol Richter Scale III crossover. It appears that this might be a nice way to break the ground connection.

Have you tried to remove the "ground lift" on the Crown (if it has one)? My PSA-2XH had some hum until I removed this jumper. That's what it's there for.

Quote Originally Posted by svollmer View Post
    I've dealt with subwoofer hum for years...I'm using a Crown amp to power the subs and an Audiocontrol Richter Scale III crossover...

Are you driving the Crown with a ballanced signal / differential drive from the Richter Scale? The Crown amp accepts a ballanced signal I presume.

I also have an Series III R.S.

Barry
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

I had the same issue. I fixed it using a cheater plug. (my kids haven't died yet but my dog looks like Billy Idol.)

Going from balanced to unbalanced and using three-prong gear with two-prong will give headaches.

An isolation transformer may work as well.

Something commercial and from Velodyne looks expensive.

You have options.
    DIY Array, 2242 sub, 4408, 4208, Control 8SR, E120 Guitar cab, Control 1, LSR305.

Wow! Thanks everyone for the quick responses and advice. I've tried all the options described as well as a HUM X from Ebtech. http://www.ebtechaudio.com/humxdes.html

I've known about the Jensen transformers, but was hesitant to purchase one because they're kind of expensive too. I emailed Jensen and asked them if it didn't work could it be returned, but didn't get a reply.

I just thought the WiFi connection and its ability to completely remove the electrical connection was an interesting idea. I've got the hum very quiet now and it's not really noticeable at the listening position, especially when music is playing.

The Richter Scale does not have balanced outputs, but I may be changing crossovers in the near future and if I do, the one I'm looking at has balanced outs. So, I guess I'll just hold for now.

Thanks for all the great advice!

Steve

Good morning Steve;

Your Richter does have ballanced out, it's just not convenient. It has two RCA outputs and one is inverted ie polarity flipped. Send this inverted signal to pin three and and the other standard signal out to pin two of an XLR and you are in business. (This assumes an amp with standard pin two is hot convention!)

I connect the shield only to the RCA shells on the Richter, and not to pin one or the shell on the XLR going in the amp. This leaves no connected ground path in the signal chain at all and increases you signal drive 6dB. At the very least this should drive the signal to noise down another 6dB.

Works on mine.

All the best,
    Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Good morning Steve;

Your Richter does have ballanced out, it's just not convenient. It has two RCA outputs and one is inverted ie polarity flipped. Send this inverted signal to pin three and and the other standard signal out to pin two of an XLR and you are in business. (This assumes an amp with standard pin two is hot convention!)

I connect the shield only to the RCA shells on the Richter, and not to pin one or the shell on the XLR going in the amp. This leaves no connected ground path in the signal chain at all and increases you signal drive 6dB. At the very least this should drive the signal to noise down another 6dB.

Works on mine.

All the best,
    Barry.
    Thanks Barry! I never knew this. I have always used the L/R "low out" connections. I have four stacked 2245H subs; two get the left signal and the other two get the right signal. It seems to work better than the summed mono output. But should I use the "invert" and "normal" connections wired to XLR jacks?

Name:  RSIII.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  55.7 KB

Balanced Line Technologies

See the following pape for an in-depth discussion of balanced I/Os.

http://www.douglas-self.com/ampins/b...d/balanced.htm

Ruediger

Yes sir, the invert and normal outputs. This does however combine all your subs to a mono signal.

Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Good morning Steve;

Your Richter does have ballanced out,

Love it.
    DIY Array, 2242 sub, 4408, 4208, Control 8SR, E120 Guitar cab, Control 1, LSR305.

Thanks very much everyone! I have some reading to do and some XLR's to be ordering.

Steve

Just need a second unit to go bass/stereo/balanced ... with the additional benefit of
    individual sub tuning

(Although I'm a little surprised at what people are still getting for those)

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Just need a second unit to go bass/stereo/balanced ... with the additional benefit of
    individual sub tuning

(Although I'm a little surprised at what people are still getting for those)
    Agreed on the price. I've had mine since new, but I know there are a lot of xover alternatives today, especially with A/D - D/A conversion.

Thread Information