Thread: Anybody Seen, Used or Heard Transducer Labs Tweeters?

Anybody Seen, Used or Heard Transducer Labs Tweeters?

Couldn't find the name mentioned in a site search, so I'm posting here. I recently restored a pair of L110's, and after two months work on the cabinets and XO's, blew an 033 tweeter my first listening session. I've been wrenching on vintage JBL's for about 15 years now, and have seen components drying up, but it was on this project that I starting seeing how tough its getting to source spares - especially tweeters.

Today I saw a listing for these tweeters: http://meniscusaudio.com/images/N26CFR-A.pdf

Obviously not JBL, and some may be offended by the aesthetics of the carbon domes. But they do seem to fit the 5" mounting holesName:  td.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  20.2 KB of so many JBL tweeters. Wondering if anybody knows anything about them.

They have pure silver leads... they must be good.

But seriously, they look fine on paper. I'd be hesitant to use carbon fiber on a tweeter, but maybe they are fine. I think I'd go with a Morel silk dome, but they may cost more than you want to spend. The Morels would definitely be an upgrade over the original if you made the appropriate changes to the networks.

Widget

Here's the rub(s)

Thanks for the response, Mr Widget. I see these for sale at $300/pair, so they're not cheap - especially considering the lack of rep and reviews. The critical part for me is that they fit the typical 5" mounting hole. If you happen to have (as I happen to have) a pair of dead 033's, one could always source new tweeters to bolt to the 033 face plate to fit. Seems somewhat simple: find something close to 4.0 ohms, ~95 dB efficiency and a resonant frequency of around 1,000 Hz. But I searched on Madisound and didn't find a single dome tweeter at those specs.

Otherwise you go for the [still out there] used 035Ti's, 052's or some such, and plug and play. To be absolutely correct, one would redo the tweeter circuit in the XO, but I don't think many will do that.

Thread Information