Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jim Lansing JBL 001 speakers custom made rosewood

Jim Lansing JBL 001 speakers custom made rosewood

What exactly did I find here? I got this crazy capehart console that was gutted and rebuilt in 1959. It has a pair of really amazing rosewood jbl speakers. I cant find much information on them or anything quite like them. Should I keep them? Would they be something a collector would go crazy for? Any input or advice would be appreciated. The capehart console has some water damage on the veneer apparently the cabinet got wet from a fire. The speakers were untouched and are in pristine condition.

A youtube video I made of the jbl can be seen here https://youtu.be/BEfKa3mWvAY
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Your find

Nice find.

Look at the 1957 JBL catologue in the Library and you'll see what the 001 system is.

The cabinets were custom made, as was often done in those days. They have no collector value, but perhaps some utility value if someone likes them. I like some things about them, but I think that was the wrong stain, or perhaps the varnish has darkened a lot with age.

Did you get the McIntosh amps too?

Your turntable has a lot of wow.

I think I would have liked Miss Anna O'Brien had I met her.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Thank you for sharing... these were certainly someone's pride and joy back in the day and it is always interesting to see.

I'm assuming you have little interest in these yourself. That also seems to be the case with the majority of folks out there. That said, there are people who dig this old stuff, but collecting is a pretty personal thing. One man's treasure is another's landfill.

If the JBL components are as pristine as the documents then they will have value, but not as much as some other JBLs of the same era. The cabinets will likely be hard to give away, but then if the right person sees them... who knows.

Widget

Pretty interesting.

I would suggest that you include video-links to your other finds.

( I thought that some of them showed-off the speakers a little better ).

Agree with the above, also interested in whether you also found the McIntosh amps that were in the system and the invoice. Probably would be MC30, MC60's, MC240 or MC275's. Plus if there were any extra tubes included for all the components.
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    ...Your turntable has a lot of wow...
    I think you meant "wow factor."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KPCF0Ziw7s

Turntable

I am going to part out the console if you have any interest in the table feel free to let me know. Im not technically inclined enough to restore it.

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    I think you meant "wow factor."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KPCF0Ziw7s

Jbl rosewood

The capehart cabinet got water damaged due to a fire and has some rippling veneer so its getting parted. The cabinets were untouched and are mint. The jbl drivers are in pristine excellent working condition. Tbe cabinets are brazilian rosewood and the craftsmanship is the likes of which ive never seen before and better than any jbl cabinet I have ever come across. I posted them on my facebook as well and everyone is after them for the cabinets. They were a frigging fortune to build based on the receipts and building ones like it would be unbelievable expensive today (Brazilian rosewood is also banned now. Sure you can get rosewood but its still expensive and inferior in my opinion).I sold the mcintosh mc30 already since I have a marantz model 8 and they needed to be restored. My friend is restoring the pilot sp215. As far as the cabinets having bad stain. Thats far from the case. The cabinets are like museum worthy. It may look dark because the room I have them in is pooly lit. Ive attached some more pictures and a video of the Jim Lansing's can be seen here https://youtu.be/BEfKa3mWvAY i hooked them up to some of my nicer stuff and they have been really blowing me away.

Quote Originally Posted by mech986 View Post
    Agree with the above, also interested in whether you also found the McIntosh amps that were in the system and the invoice. Probably would be MC30, MC60's, MC240 or MC275's. Plus if there were any extra tubes included for all the components.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Yeah its a Shame mrs Anna kicked the bucket. She must have been a really classy wealthy broad to be dumping that kinda money into a console. Looks like total she spent close to 5grand on everything in 1959 which is equivalent to like $40k+ in todays money. Anyone in the dc area is welcome to come see and hear them. The pictures really dont do the system justice.

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    Nice find.

Look at the 1957 JBL catologue in the Library and you'll see what the 001 system is.

The cabinets were custom made, as was often done in those days. They have no collector value, but perhaps some utility value if someone likes them. I like some things about them, but I think that was the wrong stain, or perhaps the varnish has darkened a lot with age.

Did you get the McIntosh amps too?

Your turntable has a lot of wow.

I think I would have liked Miss Anna O'Brien had I met her.

Quote Originally Posted by Moediggz View Post
    . . . . As far as the cabinets having bad stain. Thats far from the case. The cabinets are like museum worthy. It may look dark because the room I have them in is poorly lit . . . .
    My mistake. What actually happened was your auto exposure camera reading the white walls as the average tone and underexposing the scene. Thanks for the additional photos.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

After watching all your videos I assumed you'd already be aware of ( or quickly acquire ) the value of actual Brazilian RoseWood ( even if simply a veneer ).

I'm thinking the wood ( if you have any solid pieces there large enough for a "dreadnought" guitar back ) will bring you as much money ( to the right wood-worker/luthier ) as the 001 components.

Just my 2 cents.

PS; However it works out, it would be nice to know what transpires with those cabinets/wood .

Glad to hear of your progress. The Marantz 8 should be a nice complement and is even period correct. Moving the MC30s was probably very expedient.

that Pilot is something I've not seen before. Looks like it could look pretty contemporary with jus a set of new and matching machined knobs.
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Edit - looks like they are sold, so no advice needed.

The speakers are not sold. I have the entire setup minus the mc30 mono blocks. I am trying to figure out what to keep and what to part with and figure out what exactly I have. Thanks for all the input guys.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    Edit - looks like they are sold, so no advice needed.

Thread Information