Thread: 4350 & 4355

4350 & 4355

Does anyone have an opinion why there seems to be more JBL Everest for sale than 4350's or 4355's?

Perhaps because they're newer, greater in number (?), and not yet collectible...

There are probably more 2017 SS Camaros available than 1969 Yenko's (there we go with the car thing again)

OK, That answers that.

A personal opinion below:

I think your car analogy is pretty close to perfect.

FWIW: I've had 4355 clones and DD66000s and they are very different beasts. Both will literally stun you, but only the newer one will seriously kick ass and then scratch that "audiophile" itch too. Don't get me wrong, those large vintage monitors with proper EQ and set up are very impressive, but in my opinion they really never enter into the "audiophile" realm which is also important to me.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    ...those large vintage monitors with proper EQ and set up are very impressive, but in my opinion they really never enter into the "audiophile" realm which is also important to me.
    That's okay. I've often heard people use "audiophile" as a derogatory term!

". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    That's okay. I've often heard people use "audiophile" as a derogatory term!

Absolutely... that's why it's in quotes. It also means different things to different people. To me it means uncolored, transparent, and with a higher degree of imaging. To some it means overpriced, snake oil, lacking dynamics, and god knows what else.

Widget

My wife thinks I am an "oddiophile"

I love sneaking things into the JBL room.

I think a 435x design can be suitably upgraded with newer drivers and horns, plus appropriate crossover or DSP to be much more competitive. Its issue is primarily the cabinet design which partially limits how much imaging you could get out of it. But take the components for mid and HF up out of the box and you might be surprised. Trouble is, the width of the whole cabinet is limiting unless you have plenty of room.

Quote Originally Posted by KTG View Post
    I love sneaking things into the JBL room.
    Yes, but neither the 435x or DD66000 would be easy to sneak into anywhere.
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

I have 19ft wide room x 29ft long so it kinda works for the 4350's. your right either one is difficult to sneak by. She got rather suspicious when the 18 wheeler showed up at the driveway.

I think your car analogy is pretty close to perfect.

FWIW: I've had 4355 clones and DD66000s and they are very different beasts. Both will literally stun you, but only the newer one will seriously kick ass and then scratch that "audiophile" itch too. Don't get me wrong, those large vintage monitors with proper EQ and set up are very impressive, but in my opinion they really never enter into the "audiophile" realm which is also important to me.

Widget
    Hi Widget,

May be 435x box, with 2 x 2216Nd + 2123 (or 2202, I prefer) + D2430K + M2 horn.... would be somewhere "in the middle", as M2 horn can be get, and may be D2 CD drivers.
    all with proper EQ

regards
    ivica

Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    My wife thinks I am an "oddiophile"
    Sometimes wives need educating.

Yesterday I padded down the modified quasi-L300s and brought the mids and highs as close as I could to the L112s (turned them way down actually), put on her favorite track (Stairway to Heaven), and showed her how to work the A/B/X switch.

At first she said she couldn't hear a difference. Then I told her, close your eyes, and I A/B'ed between the two and asked her to note the differences in the articulation of the the guitar in the opening in that you get a "tactile" feel off the strings with the L300s, and how much drier, but more "focused" (less ambience) the vocals are on the L112s.

Then I gave her back the switch and restarted the track. Then she could easily distinguish between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by KTG View Post
    I have 19ft wide room x 29ft long so it kinda works for the 4350's. your right either one is difficult to sneak by. She got rather suspicious when the 18 wheeler showed up at the driveway.
    Smuggle it in a piece a day in your lunch box.
    "Why don't you Mine your own Bismuth, so you won't be mining mine?"

[QUOTE=mech986;398080]

I think a 435x design can be suitably upgraded with newer drivers and horns, plus appropriate crossover or DSP to be much more competitive. Its issue is primarily the cabinet design which partially limits how much imaging you could get out of it. But take the components for mid and HF up out of the box and you might be surprised. Trouble is, the width of the whole cabinet is limiting unless you have plenty of room.

Yes! The best my old hardware ever sounded was when it was in the "Drew Daniels stage" with everything in separate enclosures stacked on top of each other. MANY advantages. I always assumed the old "fog horn" installed on the main baffle of the 43xx JBL 4-ways was as much a packaging issue as anything. Saves marketing the product in two major pieces. Engineering compromise. Easy to see why Array 1400 is hard to beat for normal home hi fi use.

Absolutely... that's why it's in quotes. It also means different things to different people. To me it means uncolored, transparent, and with a higher degree of imaging. To some it means overpriced, snake oil, lacking dynamics, and god knows what else.

Widget
    Nailed it again Widget, totally agree with you.

Thread Information