Thread: Input for PRX718XLF

Input for PRX718XLF

Hi There,

We have a PRX718XLF for use with our DJ business. We are NOT using the pass thru option on the speaker. Our full range speakers are on a separate output.

I understand the speaker has an internal crossover, and it is set-up for a full range input. However the mixer we are using, has a subwoofer output with frequency control. Is it OK to use this output for the PRX718XLF. If so, where should we set the mixer low pass filter (options are from 40Hz to 200Hz).

Thanks for your help.

Derek

Looking at the specs, it -seems- like it would be OK if mixer out was set for max freq. sub out.
    ... might have some phase issues to address as the sub crossover and 200Hz aren't too many octaves apart.

Also seems like a good question to call in for JBLpro support.

Thanks for the comments.

The mixer has a control which allows User selection of the cut off frequency for the low pass filter on a sliding scale. The control is marked from 40Hz to 200Hz. The control knob is quite small and I imaging not very accurate between the minimum and maximum. Am I correct in believing the idea frequency for cut off would be 103Hz?

Is so, I think it might be possible to select a frequency closer the 103Hz (i.e. set the knob to somewhere just under half way).

Suggested setting mixer sub xover to max freq to minimize interaction with the steep built-in powered-sub 100Hz filter and downstream setup faux pas.

Seems like you'd want to use one or the other, not both, but it's your gear to experiment with (and I have no idea re your level of experience, which may be more than mine re PA setup)... hence I continue to suggest you call JBLpro as they are paid to provide you with real answers, vs random internet opinions

My guess is that my "level of experience" if less than most of the posters here.

Thank you for your input, any information is appreciated. I have posted the same question with JBL Product Support. As you suggest that is probably the best place to ask this question

Thanks again

Normally a sub is used to relieve the main speakers of the duty of reproducing power hungry bass and allows the "tops" to work using better by relieving more of their amplifier power to reproduce the rest of the frequency range more efficiently. In other words, unless using an external 2 way crossover between the sub and your tops, you would be better off to use the output jacks from the PRX in order to roll off the bass from the tops. You have failed to mention what mixer, tops, and amplification for the tops is being used.
    Last edited by short_circutz2; 11-28-2016 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Typo corrections

Thread Information