Thread: Luxman integrated amps (L-80v/L-100) with JBL L65As?

Luxman integrated amps (L-80v/L-100) with JBL L65As?

Hi all

I've been running my L65As with a Bryston 2BSST power amp, which somehow feels emotionally wrong. Don't get me wrong, the combo sounds great, but part of me knows that they don't look right together and the Jubals should really be working alongside a classic amp from the same era.

So this has led me to investigate the classic Luxman amps from the mid-70s, which I've always loved the look of. There are a couple near me, an L-80v and, costing a little more, an L-100. They both look beautiful!

I'm not sure about the Jubals' sensitivity - the archive here says 78dB, but that's at 15 feet. Elsewhere I've seen 89dB which seems about right. So I don't know if the L-100's extra power is necessary. Sources would be streaming from a nearby computer and, down the line, a similar era turntable. This is for my second system, in the living room. My main system in the music room runs active ATCs, so very different...

So I suppose what I'm asking is:
    Does anyone have any experience with 70s Luxman amps in general, and these models in particular, with 70s JBL speakers in general, and L65s in particular?

Help me scratch this itch...

I had a Luxman R1050 receiver. I played it with some L100s and L80Ts. It seemed to perform to beyond its modest ratings, I never heard any clipping ever. My experience is that it was completely reliable, at a time when all of my Marantz receivers seemed to be failing. It's been about ten years since I sold it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    I had a Luxman R1050 receiver. I played it with some L100s and L80Ts. It seemed to perform to beyond its modest ratings, I never heard any clipping ever. My experience is that it was completely reliable, at a time when all of my Marantz receivers seemed to be failing. It's been about ten years since I sold it though.
    Don - Agree re the Luxman reliability vs Marantz. In fact, my old Lux pre still sounds decent! The Lux gear always seemed better built to me - rugged. Spent a lot of time nursing the old Marantz 7 along in the meantime (which, nonetheless, sounded better). But, all this old stuff gradually degrades so I don't know how any meaningful comparison could be made with newer gear per the inquiry here. People don't seem to realize how much proprietary componetry goes into those old engineering marvels. My experience is that even when you do "refurbish" them, they don't sound the same. Best to move on. Mike

Thread Information