Thread: 2426J to H conversion

2426J to H conversion

Is the only difference between the 2426H and J version the diaphragm and coil ? In other words, can I convert a J to an H by simply fitting the correct diaphragm ?

Thanks,

Pete

Yes indeed. It is that simple.

Allan.

And apparently they measure the same too.
    DIY Array, 2242 sub, 4408, 4208, Control 8SR, E120 Guitar cab, Control 1, LSR305.

And apparently they measure the same too.
    Some further illumination (not intended as a correction, per se):

a 2426J with an H diaphragm will measure as a 2426H (impedance and amplitude vs. frequency)
    as it it now a 2426H in all respects other than the sticker/foilcal/white paint on back cover.

A 2426J will not measure the same as a 2426H or a 2426J with an H diaphragm.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Some further illumination (not intended as a correction, per se):

a 2426J with an H diaphragm will measure as a 2426H (impedance and amplitude vs. frequency)
    as it it now a 2426H in all respects other than the sticker/foilcal/white paint on back cover.

A 2426J will not measure the same as a 2426H or a 2426J with an H diaphragm.
    I am very ver confused now...

Quote Originally Posted by landiepete View Post
    I am very ver confused now...
    He just meant that a 2426J with a 2426H diaphragm will measure the same as a 2426H - changing the diaphragms makes them essentially the same drivers.

But, 2426J with a 2426H diaphragm WON'T measure the same as a 2426J with a 2426J diaphragm.

So in other words, the impedance (G,J or H) is determined by the diaphragm alone. You're good to go.
    DIY Array, 2242 sub, 4408, 4208, Control 8SR, E120 Guitar cab, Control 1, LSR305.

2426H impedance

Since everyone is already talking diaphragms, maybe I can get some advice, I recently got my hands on a pair of 2426H drivers (both stamped with 2426H), but i notice a sound difference, so measure impedance on both and one measures 4.8 ohms and the other one 7.8 ohms, from past experience that I have measure he 2426J models they usually have about 7.8 ohms, I'm thinking that the 2426H model was repaired with 16ohm diaphragm from a 2426J model, what do you guys think? any advice? I would nt want to use them like that, should I change the diaphragm back to an 8ohm for the 2426H?

Thanks.

Yes, If you want to use them together in a passively crossed over system you will want them to be the same impedance If bi-amping and with separate amps for each driver you could adjust as needed to make them work as is.

Quote Originally Posted by Tron21 View Post
    ... I would nt want to use them like that, should I change the diaphragm back to an 8ohm for the 2426H?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Riley Casey View Post
    Yes, If you want to use them together in a passively crossed over system you will want them to be the same impedance If bi-amping and with separate amps for each driver you could adjust as needed to make them work as is.
    Does anyone have a good source for Diaphragms? I've been browsing the web but no luck. thanks for the advise, I rather make them a matching set if i can find good quality and not to expensive diaphragms. Thanks.

If you don't 't need them right away then https://www.parts-express.com/JBL-D8...8-Ohm-294-4013

Otherwise a pair of these would work but with less HF extension and a more 'old school' sound.

https://radianaudio.com/collections/...1225-diaphragm

Does anyone have a good source for Diaphragms? I've been browsing the web but no luck. thanks for the advise, I rather make them a matching set if i can find good quality and not to expensive diaphragms. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Riley Casey View Post
    If you don't 't need them right away then https://www.parts-express.com/JBL-D8...8-Ohm-294-4013

Otherwise a pair of these would work but with less HF extension and a more 'old school' sound.

https://radianaudio.com/collections/...1225-diaphragm
    Great Thank you for the links, no rush, I didn't expect the price that high but like they say" you get what you paid for", I rather get these than the cheaper ones with a lower quality sound, Thanks Again.

Great Thank you for the links, no rush, I didn't expect the price that high but like they say" you get what you paid for", I rather get these than the cheaper ones with a lower quality sound, Thanks Again.
    Lots to discuss here...

D8R2425 has a green dot on the negative terminal (red) which causes backward diaphragm motion. Red dot is D16R2425.

When stating the titanium diaphragm has greater high frequency extention, that is simply not true. The diaphragm has an audible secondary resonance of 8KHz when swept at 16KHz. What is mistaken for high frequency extension is actually resonance distortion from the diamond pattern surround titanium suspension and thinner dome. The Radian diaphragm has MUCH less secondary distortion due to the proprietary aluminum alloy dome and the mylar surround. The JBL titanium diaphragms benefit greatly from a light coating of Aquaplas to reduce audible secondary resonances of the .002" thick diaphragm construction. The major advantage of the titanium diaphragm is the tensile strength should the diaphragm make contact with the phase plug from transient over-excursion. Especially valuable for live sound reinforcement. Aquaplas makes it sound "cleaner" if one knows how to listen.

Every customer that has experienced the Radian diaphragm has noticed details in recorded music they've never heard before. Lower distortion will unmask details everytime.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Thread Information