Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jbl 4560

Jbl 4560

Hello all. I'm new to this so just wanting to say hi. I'm also fairly new to the big speaker ownership club. I have a pair of Jbl 4560's with what I believe to be Selenium 5650 horns on top. They came out of a church.

Welcome to Lansing Heritage!

4560's are fun. Way back when they were my first "known" exposure to JBL. I still have a pair.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Thanks Barry. I enjoy them a lot. I would really like to find a pair of Altec a5's or even a4's. The wife factor is fairly low. She's pretty understanding. I just need to find a pair that I can afford. Any ideas?

Are there Jbl speakers that compare in looks and sound to the a4? They are just big and awesome. I like both. The JBL's and Altec's.

Quote Originally Posted by Marine 0811 View Post
    Are there Jbl speakers that compare in looks and sound to the a4? They are just big and awesome. I like both. The JBL's and Altec's.
    The closest would be the 4550 bass bin, but it has a smaller internal volume than the A4's 210 bass horn, and therefore weaker deep bass performance. (Both would require a subwoofer to satisfy contemporary listening expectations.) You could then top it with the JBL radial horn of your choice. JBL also offered multicells into the early 1970s (based on the Altecs, which were developed in the 1930s when James B. Lansing was part of Altec), but I think they're hard to come by. It's easier to find the Altec multicells. (But prepare yourself for sticker shock.)

P.S. In my book a partner who is willing to live with A4s goes way beyond "pretty understanding" and even beyond "real good sport".

JBL 4560 output. It is designed more for sound reinforcement than sound reproduction.

The 4550 has the reputation to be awesome.

And then you have the RCA Unbangi ;-)

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...404-RCA-Ubangi

Wow those RCA's are pretty awesome to look at but how do they sound? And you are right,the wife may even be a little bit nuts. But good to me none the less. Did they make a lot of the "unbangi" ? Or should I stick with the Jbl Altec Lansing streak I've got going now. I recently purchased a decent pair of Altec Stonehenge I I . Some idiot replaced the 12" woofers with some cheap Jensen's he bought at Walmart. I also bought a beat up pair of Altec 1012's. I took the woofers from the 1012's and put them in the Stonehenge's just to be somewhat authentic. The guy I bought the 1012's from tol me bought them new. The woofers said "China" on the back? Could that be right? Looking for some input.

RCA 9462's (Ubangi's) are damn hard to find. Took me over four years to find my second one after I found my first one. They sound really good too. Ubangi's are two full feet longer than 4550's. 4550's don't suck.

Barry.

That's awesome Barry! My 4560's have Jbl 2220a woofers in them now. Not real deep bass but not bad. Any suggestions on woofers I could replace them with that would give me more bass? Or is it the bin not the woofer? What do you think of my woofer exchange in my last post? Cheap Jensen's just weren't doing it for me.

Barry, any ideas where I should look for old theater equipment? I'm in upstate NY and not a lot of theaters around here. Open or closed

Finding that stuff is getting super tuff. My first came out of Virginia I think and the other three were a wharehouse find in Ohio in a theater turned dance club.

Here is a story I heard several times during my years of searching but don't confirm:

A caompany called Theater Preservation Group canvased the country looking for nearly everything old in cinema under the guise of preservation. What they really were doing was making bank on preserving it in,,,Asia.

Anymore you just have to keep an eye peeled and hope to get lucky.

2220's are my favorite horn driver of all time. A bit fragile but they sound so good. The 4560 needs a sub no doubt. The box is the limiter and a heavy woofer just kills what the box does well so I would keep it as is.

I have no experience with the Altec stuff you have, sorry.

Barry.

Altec a7 500?

I just found a pair of Altec a7 500's for sale on local CL. 511b 808a but JBL d130f woofers. What I've been reading tells me the d130f's were for guitar amps. Why would they be in these cabs? Any thoughts?

Also looking for a pair of Jbl 4550's if anyone has some to sell

Quote Originally Posted by Marine 0811 View Post
    I just found a pair of Altec a7 500's for sale on local CL. 511b 808a but JBL d130f woofers. What I've been reading tells me the d130f's were for guitar amps. Why would they be in these cabs? Any thoughts?
    Whomever had them at one point was probably using them in a rock band's sound system and toasted the original 515s (or 416s). When you're on the road and have to make noise at tomorrow's gig you need a quick-and-dirty repair, and the D130Fs were probably the only things available. (They were a lot more common than Altec 515s or 416s. My guess is that they took the D130Fs out of a Fender Dual Showman cabinet.)

I wouldn't think fender guitar amp woofers would sound too good in these cabs? I'm thinking of adding these to my home system that already consists of Jbl 4560's. I just don't want to spend the money on these if they are nothing I can use. They are only $400 which I thought was reasonable. The horns and cabs are probably worth what he's asking.

Thread Information