Thread: Gauss 3184

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Gauss 3184

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about this 10" mid bass driver?

It came in two variants that I am aware of. Gauss 3184-A and Gauss 3184-B

Gauss 3184

The Westlake HR1 uses a 3184 not sure if A or B.

I picked them up (HR1's) yesterday in LA. The cables that came with them are like battery jumper cables I kid you not. All eight are only 6 feet long each, creating a nightmare for reaching the power amps. I called Westlake to enquire about 15 footers. They wanted 2500 for them. Think I will make the 6's work.

I spent today hooking them up. I have a slight ground loop on the Crown D-150 I am using for the 2426 HF drivers. I have tried everything to get rid of it to no avail. Any advice would be appreciated.

The HRX-4 Active crossover is amazing. For 6,000 it should be.The tweakability of this crossover is outstanding. Each driver can be turned off and on without need of turning the volume down. Each of the 8 output sections (4 per side for quad applification) have gain adjustments. This xover is divded into 2 seperate channels with independant power supply's. There is an overall gain control for each channel as well. Each channel is designed and matched to the serial number of each enclosure.

The down side:

These are the industrial version with black cabinets and look odd in a living room situation. The horns have been damaged along the edges over the years and will take some TLC to get them looking good.

The grills just plain suc.

They weigh a %$#@ ton. 300lbs each.

My wife hates the way they look in our living room.

The price.

First impressions:

Unbelievable imaging and very tight bass. I have never heard a large format monitor that comes close to this in terms of imaging. The 2235H's are wonderfull on the bottom. I must admit the Gauss 3184's do a fine job on the mid bass. This system uses the 2446 on the large wood horn. I can see why so many love these horns as they are very smooth at high spl's. The 2426 seems to do a good job filling out the high's using a small wood horn.

Final thoughts after a long frustrating day...

These can be tweaked a great deal using the HRX xover. I will spend a good part of tomorrow doing that.

Will keep you posted.

Westlake

How about that SM-1. They suggest building a new studio around the speakers. At that wieght i dont blame them.
    Von Schweikert VR-8
    Canary Ref. 1 300B monoblocks. 300Bx16

Thread Information