Thread: Amplifier Selections

Amplifier Selections

Hi all...

Some of you know me, some of you don't, and half of the first group can't stand me LOL!

I am currently running an Ashly XR2000 crossover as well as a pair of Crown Amps - An XLS1500 on my JBL L5 mains, and an XLS602 on my 12" subs. The switch on pop in the XLS602 has me not wanting to put them on the L5's. The XLS1500 was purchased for sub duty, and am looking to move it there soon.

Aside from the 602, I have a wide range of non-functioning amps that need some TLC and wonder if I should put my money into one of them or buy something else for the time being

On hand at home there are:

2 X Bryston 3B NRB - Need them rebuilt by Bryston - looking about $1000 CDN total to get them up and running for the pair. Bridged mono is only possible at 8ohm tho - still an option if I have 8 ohm speakers and want big mono's.
    1 X Denon POA 2400 - a beast, but in need of a recap. It's collecting dust and not losing any sleep over it yet.
    The Crown XLS 602 - This is our bands PA amp - has seen more than it should have and has to go back into PA duty eventually.
    A few DIY amps that are at various stages of completion.

I've seen some stuff come up locally like a Yamaha P2500 and other Crown and QSC stuff... The L5's can take a lot of power from what I've read, so am mainly looking for anything over 200wpc @ 8 ohms. The Bryston amps were essentially free, I have less than 3 figures tied up in each of em. They stay, but no clue when they will go to Bryston for a rebuild.

My long term goals are to own a pair of 43XX (shame as I just missed out on some beautiful 4315s in my area for a great deal) and a pair of subs using something like the 2245. This is why I got the Bryston amps, as I intended to biamp the monitors, and use the XLS 1500 on the bass. Since I don't have said monitors, I am wondering if I should take my time with the Bryston rebuild and just find a reliable 2 channel amp to power my mains in the meantime?

Just looking for a little direction on what avenue some may take given the situation. Thanks in advance.

I run my L5s on primarily Crown PS200 amps with around 100WPC. They have a nice turn-on delay feature, too. I can't imagine them needing more power. I run my L7s on PS400s. Neither setup ever trips the IOC lights on the Crowns so I know the power demands are not that great for what my wife would call "loud" listening levels in normal domestic rooms.

I've paid anywhere from $100 to $200, and more, for PS400s and PS200s in perfect condition. I buy every one I see at that price because I think they're a real bargain—even at $400. BTW, I also own a Crown Studio Reference-II, several Crown DC300A-II and D150A-II, as well as a couple of Soundcraftsmen Pro-Power-Four amps, a Carver, an Adcom, and a JBL 6260.

To my question, just curious, with the JBL L5 having a sensitivity rating of 90dB and realizing full-well that JBL recommends a power range of 35-to-350-watts:
    Why do you feel your little L5s need that much power?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I run my L5s on primarily Crown PS200 amps with around 100WPC. They have a nice turn-on delay feature, too. I can't imagine them needing more power. I run my L7s on PS400s. Neither setup ever trips the IOC lights on the Crowns so I know the power demands are not that great for what my wife would call "loud" listening levels in normal domestic rooms.

I've paid anywhere from $100 to $200, and more, for PS400s and PS200s in perfect condition. I buy every one I see at that price because I think they're a real bargain—even at $400. BTW, I also own a Crown Studio Reference-II, several Crown DC300A-II and D150A-II, as well as a couple of Soundcraftsmen Pro-Power-Four amps, a Carver, an Adcom, and a JBL 6260.

To my question, just curious, with the JBL L5 having a sensitivity rating of 90dB and realizing full-well that JBL recommends a power range of 35-to-350-watts:
    Why do you feel your little L5s need that much power?
    I don't necessarily feel the L5 will need it - they won't be my last pair of speakers though - and would rather have too much than too little. We have spoke about the Crown PS amps before... I've hardly ever seen them come up, and when they have, they were far/expensive. Our used market here is funny. You guys get much better selection and prices south of our border.

Part of me is entertaining the idea of trying tubes... which means it won't be cheap.

Amp recommended for L7

Newbie here....can someone recommended an amp that will drive a pair of L7's? Currently using Denon X4200W to drive the L7's and a pair of Pioneer EBS73 (as surround) and a JBL sub. Room is about 16x12. Budget up to $500.00. Thanks!

I've run my L7s off of Crown PS400 and Soundcraftsmen Pro-Power-Four. Either is around 200 watts per channel at 8-ohms. Seems to be adequate for the L7. You could probably get two PS400s and bridge them both for your budget. That would get you about 600-watts. But, of course, that's just my suggestion.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Amp for L7's

I've run my L7s off of Crown PS400 and Soundcraftsmen Pro-Power-Four. Either is around 200 watts per channel at 8-ohms. Seems to be adequate for the L7. You could probably get two PS400s and bridge them both for your budget. That would get you about 600-watts. But, of course, that's just my suggestion.
    Thanks BMWCCA for the reply. Will single Crown XLi 3500 or Behringer EP4000 a good choice? How do I change the jumper setting - that blue wire (A, B, C) next to the two orange capacitors?

Quote Originally Posted by Summit101 View Post
    How do I change the jumper setting - that blue wire (A, B, C) next to the two orange capacitors?
    If you do that, you'll need two amps and an electronic crossover.

Jumper setting - JBL L7

If you do that, you'll need two amps and an electronic crossover.
    Do I need to simply remove the backpanel where the binding posts are, and then reset the jumper? What's the setting for that short blue wire? Is
    the tweeter (035TiA) wire connection soldered on or plugged in? I want to swap it (bent mesh) out with a good one from an L1. Thanks for help!!

Quote Originally Posted by Summit101 View Post
    Do I need to simply remove the backpanel where the binding posts are, and then reset the jumper? What's the setting for that short blue wire? Is
    the tweeter (035TiA) wire connection soldered on or plugged in? I want to swap it (bent mesh) out with a good one from an L1. Thanks for help!!
    Check the jumper position in the L7 Owner's Supplement. The tweeter is connected with Fastons, just be very careful not to disturb the hair-thin wire to the diaphragm when you pull it off. Hold the terminal on the tweeter with a plier and pull the wire. Do NOT hold only the tweeter body as you pull the wire loose or you'll likely break the wire to the diaphragm.

Thread Information