Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yuichi horn a-290 with JBL 2445J high-end project

Yuichi horn a-290 with JBL 2445J high-end project

We choose for a simple system, a 2way-system. Now finding out what's the best solution for mid and high.
    To come to this i want only one driver, the best is from 500Hz to 20.000Hz.Because we don't want to make a three-way like most. We don't want crossovers in the terrible sections like 1800-4000Hz. We can choose for TAD 4001 or JBL 2445. After long reading from different forums I chose this one: Read: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ht=#post282347

I believe this guy, The TAD 4001 seems to be the best, but it's so expensive. So my choice like this guy: The JBL 2445, this driver is like a tank, you can buy it on e-bay around $500,- Then you put a berylium diafragm in it and you have one of the best drivers for mid/high Look also at: http://www.inlowsound.com/
    This horn is also very good, but its impossible to place in small room in holland.
    So i did my research at forums and it seems that the Yuichi a-290 horn is one of the best horns there is and only 62,5cm x 23 cm high.

Here you can see the making: http://www.geocities.jp/arai401204/Horn/A290/A290.html
    Well this settled down for mid High. Now the low frequenties. First we don't want: a woofer that's slow, like car-woofers with x-max over 10 mm. We want clear and fast low-frequenties, but not to low like lower then 32 Hz, because
    the problems off small living rooms, well 37 Hz tuning is very good. And if we want dynamics we also need a woofer with high SPL. This search was very difficult ,but i maked a decision.After reading the incredible Daniel Herz M1, i though
    THIS GUY IS NOT CRAZY, if you put a 18" Beyma woofer in a hifi-system , this woofer must be incredible. he uses a tweeter thats not so good(I think) as the JBL 2445 with Yuichi a-290 and berylium. Also I an skip the 12 inch mid-range
    ,so the system keeps simple.I think the 18 inch can be used to 500Hz. Well the crossover must be active, because of time-difference. We use the hypex high-end crossover,pre-amp. For amplifiers we can use N-core or we can use a 7 watt
    tube for the JBL, The system has 100DB 1watt !!! I'm very curious what that tube will do, we will try it. For the bass section i will put pyramids inside, because i liked it in our monitor, it was great. The 2-way sytems i saw on internet i did't like
    so i want my speaker better looking, the front must be rounded with the horn.Sizes will be 112 x 67 x 43. It's a big 200 liter bass-section, but we need it for 37 Hz tuning.X-max is only 7,2mm, so that's great to reduce doppler effect.

Now it's 01-02-2016 and i'm going started. Will put the entire building with foto's and it's all free, no secrets. I will put the whole building on this site, so everyone who's capable, can make it also.
    Tomorrow i will begin with the making of the Horn, i think that will take some months, but keep visit my site, because it's a high end project, you don't pay 100.000 dollars like the daniel herz, with some skills i think 8000 dollars and 400
    hours of working.

The beginning of making the Yuichi A-290 horn

First make the shape of the sides, make a sample and copy it to 5 plates(9cm thick plywood)
    Then Make the shape for the horn. This piece was very difficult to make. First make the radius of the horn, then increase the radius with 1,5 cm above plywood.
    Then again increase the radius with 2cm for the mill-conductor. Then again increase the radius with 4cm, this is to keep your mill 90 degrees to the horn
    I will show you how to make this next foto

Here is the foto:

Here to get your mill 90 degrees:

The beginning of the shape:

First part ready:
    r
    Here the side panels,a bit more difficult, but i wanted the lines also on the sides

here the vins, made it from wood and not from multiplex, because multiplex can't make sharp ends:

Almost ready:
    look at the nice sides, i love this horn

System will be active with the best amplifier there is, 4 times 400 watt with high-end cross-over, including pre-amplifier. all you need is a source.

De Yuichi a-290 ready. Wohhh, beautiful. The very best on audio. nice JBL 2446J with beryllium driver.It's now 01-09-2016.
    Really began June, 3 months work for these horns in the evening and weekends. Next pair will go 3 times faster.

Next plan is the bass-compartment with 18 inch closed enclosure, beginning next week.
    105cm x 66cm x 46cm

Testdrive with 2214ef woofer,just fast setting my crossover 500Hz, 36Db.maybe 400Hz is possible 48Db. In any way is this already the best sound ever heard.

Hans Alkemade

Thanks for sharing, nice work you've done there!

Great work, thanks for sharing. Id like to build a pair myself one day.

Yes, again, NICE work... I have had the great pleasire of visiting John Inlow who you linked in your post, Inlow Sound... hearing both TAD and Be in JBL at his home. I have to agree, swapping in the Be from Truextant really makes our venerable and trusty JBLs into something new and really superb.

I am beginning work on some "final" systems myself, ones that I have had in mind for decades, and am just getting started with...[ Yeah, getting older, just want to build some last few projects in the next few years and enjoy them without the internal pressure of doing yet another something down the road ]. I will live with the Ti diaphrams in the stock 2446 for the cinema system, but do plan in upgrading the other pair that will go in the actual music system...Yes, they DO, to the ear at least, open up the JBL drivers to level of detail recovery and extra speed that is remarkably similar to a TAD. so much so that I have abandoned plans to eventually have to search for a pair of TADs, and instead just order Truextant Be my pair that will go in the music system.

Awesome. Quite impressed with your horn build. I would love build a pair of these for my 2445s (and also upgrade the Ti -> Be one day!)

Are you using the Hypex amps? ETA: sorry I see you are using those amps. Looking forward to seeing this progress with the 18" sealed boxes.

Are you using NC500OEM module I can see and 2 SMPS1200A700, I'm buying two modules by my own also.

what's the module connected on the OEM connector? you have a reference code?

Are you planning to build and sell other of those horns?

Let me know

Nicely done. Something to be proud of. The horns are a lot of work but well worth the time and effort. Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

Woody

First speaker is ready

[attach]74747

Bass-compartment:

Name:  P1170949.JPG
Views: 8071
Size:  157.1 KB

Name:  P1180006.JPG
Views: 8451
Size:  152.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Wow I really like that! Very nice concept and execution!

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Looking forward for your progress!

Really beautiful!!

Charlie

Simply outstanding work. They look beautiful.

Very nice woodworking, congratulations!
    I really love the jig you made for the horns.
    My avatar: 4520 loaded with 2225H on E140 frames,
    1x 2202H on custom front loaded horn, 2x 2426 on 2370.

Big fan of the horns also.

Charlie

Oooh I like.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Thread Information