Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade Bug On the Loose

Upgrade Bug On the Loose

Greetings to All,

I've had my current speakers, a nice set of JBL L100t3's, for a while now and I am getting the itch for something else. I certainly do not dislike the my L100t3's - they are sounding great. Just looking at something else. The JBL L300's and 250ti's are well beyond my budget, but there are others I'd consider - JBL 120ti, 240ti, L7, ... I've never heard any of these three, so I'm hoping that a few forum members who have heard these could perhaps rank them for me in sound quality. I do like the JBL vintage speakers. Would they be an improvement? I currently have a 225 wpc NAD amp (a 2.1 system) - I assume that's enough power for any of these. Once upon a time, I had a set of L5's (different amp) with a sub - they were awesome, so may as well add these to the mix. Don't remember why I sold them. Any others to consider? At the risk of sounding like a heretic, any other brands that would be of interest? My budget would be "around" $1500.

Thank you for reading and any help/ideas you may offer,

Rick

The speakers you list have little or no support from JBL in key areas, and I mean the areas in which they are an upgrade over what you have, the midrange and tweeter, and in my opinion are somewhat of a sideways move. The best JBL technology at that price is a used pair of LSR32's. Shop for clean. Still supported by JBL. Dusted Ti dome tweeter vs. naked makes a big difference. Excellent midrange driver covering a long range. Revel F32's are in some ways a similar concept and would be better WAF for sure and a sound you would perhaps prefer, but you'd have to shop for a price and stretch your budget too. Well worth it, lmo. Not sure about support. Revel, like JBL, is a Harman brand.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Thank you speakerdave for your advice. I had not considered more modern speakers as my upgrade. Your thoughtful post has given me a lot more to think about and research.

240Ti

I would look for a pair of clean 240Tis. You can have the LE14H-1 woofer and 044Ti tweeter serviced by a qualified JBL service technician to make them good as new, such as Ken Haer of Upland Speaker Service. if they haven't been serviced yet, they'll need it. The woofer will need a new surround and the tweeter will need to have its VC gap cleared of deteriorated damping pad particles and a new pad put in place. Going from a 12' woofer in an L100/LSR32 enclosure up to an LE14 in a larger floor standing tower provides a significant step-up in bass power and punch. I've heard them many times and assert they are superior to most of the 12" based woofer models and some of the mid-size pro models as well, including the 4430. You can definitely find them in your stated price range and do the required service over time if necessary.

. . . or you could have maybe three pair of L7s for the same money and melt your house or neighbors. Really, I doubt anything you'd consider in that price range would actually offer a tremendous improvement over your L100T3s.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Not familiar with the L100t3's, but.... what about a pair of 4430s? there is of course the WAF?
    I would think for $1,500.00 one should be able to get a nice set of JBLs, I've been shedding speakers so I may be out of touch with some current prices.
    Unless you're in a rush and keep a vigilant eye out for a particular item they usually pop up & maybe even get a good deal on it.

Good luck.
    Just Play Music.

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    I don't know if they'd be an upgrade from the L100T3's, but if you've grown a little weary like I have of searching for parts, making repairs, refoaming/reconing woofers, and overpricing on the vintage stuff, try the JBL Studio 590s or 580s. One or the other should be in your price range, depending on discounts and such. There's a 30 or 60 day in-home trial period from JBL so nothing to lose but some shipping if you don't like them.

http://jblsynthesis.com/productdetail/studio_590.html

I've had both models (590s now) and I'd say proper room set-up as usual (a good space from side & rear walls), spike the cabs solidly to the floor (no wobbles) and your NAD should have no problem with them. They're pretty easy to drive with no tough phase angles/impedance dips.

Since in a larger room (mine is about 26' x 18') the 590s can easily do the low 30 Hz range with a few dB boost in that area, you may not feel the need for a sub but if you do, then bring it in fairly low or things might get murky. The midrange is pretty flat until you get to the 2.5-3 dB rise centered around 8-9 kHz; that can be cured with a slight cut on the typical 10 Hz treble pot or EQ.

Dispersion, imaging, and all that audiophile stuff. I like them and I'm a bit grouchy when it comes to speakers. They sound better in many ways than, for example, the Nautilus 803s I used to have that cost me 3x more 15 years ago, or the Maggie Tympani IV-Ds, and others.

I'm with Speakerdave on the LSR32's however the LE14H based speakers are one of my all time favorites for sure. I would skip the 120Ti's considering what you currently have. L7's are a nice speaker as well, but even harder to find parts for.

The newer studio 580's and 590's are decent (the 80's were my preferred speaker) however they are loaded with a compression driver instead of a tweeter. http://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/STUDIO+580.html

EDIT: I see the studios were mentioned already.
    Always fun learning more.......

Since the OP has a subwoofer he doesn't need the LE14-1' though I agree it is a fine woofer. To equate the LSR32 dual voice coil plus a braking coil neodymium woofer with the 2214 in the L100t3, as if all 12 inch woofers were the same, is just ignorance. C'mon, try to keep up here.

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL View Post

The newer studio 580's and 590's are decent (the 80's were my preferred speaker) however they are loaded with a compression driver instead of a tweeter. http://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/STUDIO+580.html

EDIT: I see the studios were mentioned already.
    I liked the 580s size/aesthetic better than the larger 590s box, even in a larger room. They're very similar sounding though, but for a tad more reach in the lows and the larger (taller) soundfield of the 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    Since the OP has a subwoofer he doesn't need the LE14-1' though I agree it is a fine woofer. To equate the LSR32 dual voice coil plus a braking coil neodymium woofer with the 2214 in the L100t3, as if all 12 inch woofers were the same, is just ignorance. C'mon, try to keep up here.

I certainly was not trying to convey a comparison to the 100t3 to the LSR32 in any form because there is none, I am however sorry if it seemed that way.

I was merely answering his questions about the 3 speakers mentioned in the OP with of course my opinion, and we all know what that really means lol!

Carry on!

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL View Post
    . . . . Carry on!
    Thanks, and I will, but I wasn't referring to anything you said.

I'm with speakerdave on this one. I've been on a speaker safari for years, including electrostatics, B&W 802's, plus numerous others. The LSR32 and current LSR6332 are very good speakers. Typical of very accurate JBL's, only as good as your electronics. The differential drive 12 inch woofer is superior in punch and definition, if EQ'd to the room. The midrange and tweeter are in the same league as the low end, very linear and superior in definition. Very good choice and the LSR32 is usually a bargain on the used market.

Regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    Thanks, and I will, but I wasn't referring to anything you said.

Then I am the one who has misunderstood! My bad!!

Even at full asking price and shipping, (i'm sure you could do better as well) these would be a better deal (if the condition is good) than most speakers for the price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-JBL-LSR32-...wAAOSwU-pXuWgT

There certainly may be better deals out there. I not trying to sell anything here, but my last monitors were a pair of Event Opals. I used them for about four years in a stereo system. On a whim I bought the a pair of JBL LSR6332's. They were definitely a serious upgrade IMO. This was the second time with JBL's. I owned a pair of L110's in the 1970s. Always regretted selling those. I will admit that I have become a JBL fan since then. Have 4333Bs, 4425s, and LSR 6332s at present. A pair of M2s under construction, although the wood working end of that is not going very well.

Regards,

John

Thread Information