Thread: C50SM cabinets, needs drivers

C50SM cabinets, needs drivers

Hi.
    I just bought a pair of C50 cabs. They are in very good shape for age and stock with no hardware holes from hanging. I am hoping I can get some suggestions as to what driver/crossover combination other than the original S7 might be a good match without breaking the bank. It appears that if I charge out and buy le85's, 2235h and lx5's, I will have more in them than you could buy a pair of L200's for.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards,
    Mike

Alternatives for S7 load in C50

Mike, I have a similar problem in an Olympus, curiously also C50. I have tried PA 15s with the LE85, but do not have an LE 15, 2215, or 2235. I tried 2234(early Olympus is about 6 cubic feet, unvented) which should work well in your monitor (vented) cabinets. Remember, you also need 2307 or similar horns, and slantplate lenses. These items add up, as you have pointed out. 2425 or 6 or? (on Selinium horns?) should save dramatically. I have considered modifying the baffle to add a port, a midrange cone and placing a horn on top, but cannot decide. I tried the 136HS Synth S2S driver using the network opening as a vent, but it does not reach the LE85 very well. The new drivers are also dear: but for that, 2216H should be perfect. I will next try 2255, because $. The good news is your new networks will be better than the old LX5. P.S. Also, consider the mask (adaptor rings to utilize smaller bass drivers)

Red face

Thanks for the input. I'm still not sure which way I'm going to go. Although the cabinets are nice and original in the grand scheme of things they don't really have a lot of value per say. For that reason I think I will load them with a three-way set up that will perform well in the ported 6 L cabinet. Second to listening to them, research is half the fun anyway. Still open to suggestions, thanks.

Thread Information