Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Tribute to Lansing-Heritage-Forum and DIY 2405 & 2446 & E145 build

go down to 25-28hz in 170Lt.

TAD 1603 venting

These TAD 1603 woofers have additional venting-slots at the side of the magnet.
    There is a little foam-piece inside of each of them.
    Is this to stop dust and dirt to enter and should remain inside? Or do I have to remove these?

Name:  17410238_1381113158620485_427318712_n.jpg
Views: 1200
Size:  115.9 KB

Keep the foam filters in place .

They are particulant protection ( to the coil venting ) .

Thanks for your quick answer!

Leave the foam !
    Tune Fb to get 32Hz, with 180L you will be close to TAD and Rey Audio speakers designs. TL-1603 can be used like TL-1601b used by Rey Audio. RM-7VC has a big enclosure probably more for one TL-1601b than your 225L. You can also try not reducing the volume, with lower Fb.
    225L Fb 30Hz might work well, close to Rey Audio RM6-VC but for one driver, (be carefull adjusting a bit the mid/high level to adapt them).

Thanks a lot, very interesting infoīs!

Do you know about the original TAD bassreflex-ports?
    What dimensions do they have? What would be the the length for two 4" ports?

For TL-1601a (T/S parameters are a bit different) TAD used for TSM2/2402 around 135L of volume and Fb 32Hz.
    There were two 100mm ports (Japanese do not use units from the Middle Age ), with a length of 105mm. Suprisingly if you try to simulate them you will find another length, but this is the right one. Depending upon your exact volume and damping you'll have to adjust the length by doing impedance measurements.
    For RM-11BC using TL-1601b (T/S identical to TL-1603) I don't know the ports length, only that the port diameter is larger, around 120mm, but Fb is also 32Hz, with a larger volume than for TSM2/2402, something around 170L.

PS: Next time I'll be around Hamburg I can come with some measurement tools to help if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.db View Post
    These TAD 1603 woofers have additional venting-slots at the side of the magnet.
    There is a little foam-piece inside of each of them.
    Is this to stop dust and dirt to enter and should remain inside? Or do I have to remove these?

Name:  17410238_1381113158620485_427318712_n.jpg
Views: 1200
Size:  115.9 KB
    These are second hand units or not coming from a fresh stock ? The actual ones have a different orientation for the binding posts (as 1601a and 1601b). If there are from second hand you should check their T/S parameters, there are plenty of aged TAD speakers on the market, removed from studio monitors or PA loudspeakers. If you have any issue with one of them, the good address in Europe for getting recone kits is in Germany (hornstudio.de).

Quote Originally Posted by dn92 View Post
    These are second hand units or not coming from a fresh stock ? The actual ones have a different orientation for the binding posts (as 1601a and 1601b). If there are from second hand you should check their T/S parameters, there are plenty of aged TAD speakers on the market, removed from studio monitors or PA loudspeakers. If you have any issue with one of them, the good address in Europe for getting recone kits is in Germany (hornstudio.de).
    Indeed, they are second hand coming from another DIY-guy here in germany. He bought them new at hornstudio.de around 6-7 years ago... To be honest I have no measurement tools to check TSP.

Quote Originally Posted by dn92 View Post
    PS: Next time I'll be around Hamburg I can come with some measurement tools to help if needed.
    You are very welcome!
    Unfortunatelly I donīt live in Hamburg anymore, I have moved to Rostock. Thats about 200km away... But if you are around, feel free to give me a visit.

Not so old then and were not used for PA, they should be OK then.
    To tune the br ports length it is useful to have somthing for measuring the impedance response such as a Dayton DATS that is not so expensive.

Thanks for the invitation, same for you if you come to Paris

Indeed, they are second hand coming from another DIY-guy here in germany. He bought them new at hornstudio.de around 6-7 years ago... To be honest I have no measurement tools to check TSP.

You are very welcome!
    Unfortunatelly I donīt live in Hamburg anymore, I have moved to Rostock. Thats about 200km away... But if you are around, feel free to give me a visit.
    Hi Dr.db,

I'm wondering why you're not using the active system with ethernet interface?
    You can resolve a lot of frequency and phase response issues, experiment with different drivers, etc., all being very easy and comfortable without the need to mess with X-overs.
    As your drivers are very efficient, you just need one 6-channel amp or three 2-channel amps of moderate power and one DSP 3-IN 6-OUT or 4-IN 8-OUT (better) for future use in 3-way+SUB or 4-way system. Later on you can expand to more powerful amps if you like.

Mica

The initial plan of this project was to run the speakers by a single amp and minimise the equipment...

The initial plan of this project was to run the speakers by a single amp and minimise the equipment...

The passive system does not allow any errors and it is very difficult to optimize it in an original design like yours.
    In any case, we hope that the project will continue.

Thatīs true, thank you!

Sick

Very Sick. Please keep it that way!
    "Why don't you Mine your own Bismuth, so you won't be mining mine?"

Thread Information