Thread: looking for some information on these altec lansing speakers

Question looking for some information on these altec lansing speakers

Hello there. First things first, this is a new field for me so pardon my ignorance. These speakers were dropped in my lap this morning by a friend.

some pictures:

http://imgur.com/a/Nt0fB

2 of each, 416-16z and 806a's.
    I can't seem to find any cabinets that look like that for the 416-16z. anyone recognize this? or is it a custom build?

Can anyone give me a little info on these speakers? I'm not even certain what I should do with them. I don't have a decent listening area at home, let alone an amp for these. recommendations?

Thanks in advance for letting me tap into your knowledge!

Quote Originally Posted by Mneten View Post
    These speakers were dropped in my lap this morning by a friend.
    Wow! I'll bet that hurt!

Welcome. I'm sure someone with the knowledge you seek will reply shortly.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Looks like parts and a box someone experimented with.

The woofer enclosure looks like a home-brew that's loosely based on the JBL 4530 (http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...pro/page08.jpg, lower left-hand photo), but as you can see, there are lots of differences. (It looks to me like they were trying to horn-load the port.) The HF horn looks like an Altec 511B.

Nice score! (If your friend is looking for more laps upon which to drop things, mine is available .

Quote Originally Posted by Mneten View Post
    Hello there. First things first, this is a new field for me so pardon my ignorance. These speakers were dropped in my lap this morning by a friend.

some pictures:

http://imgur.com/a/Nt0fB

2 of each, 416-16z and 806a's.
    I can't seem to find any cabinets that look like that for the 416-16z. anyone recognize this? or is it a custom build?

Can anyone give me a little info on these speakers? I'm not even certain what I should do with them. I don't have a decent listening area at home, let alone an amp for these. recommendations?

Thanks in advance for letting me tap into your knowledge!
    A) Definitely a home brew cabinet, but not shabbily constructed. It is not a knockoff of a JBL 4530. It's obvious the chamber was designed to accommodate an ALNICO ALTEC woofer. I have doubts that anyone who knows about horn design would have been involved in the design process.

B) A rear loaded horn is the last thing you want to load with a 416. It sounds awful, unless mushy, inarticulate bass is your goal. The 416 by no means is a horn loader.

The 416 may have been removed from a Valencia cabinet. 416-16Z was the designation for that model loaded in the 846.

The boxes, putting aside their external appearance, may be salvageable. If you have access to a JBL 2220 woofer, load it into the box. It's the only model speaker that will operate well in that type of enclosure other than the 130A, and 150-4C. Not knowing the intimate details of the cabinet design, there is a very good chance it will sound much better than the 416. On that note, the 416 operates much better in a bass reflex design. 4.5 cubic feet being the minimal. The Valencia 846 or 934 as examples. Or 9 cubic feet being optimal, which would be the 620 enclosure, AKA Model 17 and Model 18.

If the cabinet is a horn loaded port design, the math behind that is a whole different dynamic which is not applicable or similar to a horn flare.

As hsosdrum noted, if the H.F. horns are as the same width as the enclosure, indeed they are the 511 model.

H.F.

Thread Information