Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 077/2405 phase plug

077/2405 phase plug

Planning on building a set of L65's, I have a pair of alnico 2405's and would like to get a bit of info for the phase plug. Namely I'm looking for the thread size of the stud inside the phase plug. I have a machinist friend who has access to cnc lathes and cnc milling and he doesn't see a problem machining it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kenp3 View Post
    Planning on building a set of L65's, I have a pair of alnico 2405's and would like to get a bit of info for the phase plug. Namely I'm looking for the thread size of the stud inside the phase plug. I have a machinist friend who has access to cnc lathes and cnc milling and he doesn't see a problem machining it.

Thanks
    Not much help but I think it is 1/4"-20, non-magnetic. Mainly I wanted to mention that when you tighten the screw, be absolutely certain not to allow the plug to move. If not the diaphram will twist and resemble one of those old "Jiffy-Pop" aluminum popcorn contraptions.

Are your 2405's missing their plugs? If you plan to convert 2402s to 2405's there are also two aluuminum "squeezers", for lack of a better word, in each 2405. Different diaphram also I believe. Just curious.

-D_E-
    "Why don't you Mine your own Bismuth, so you won't be mining mine?"

Sorry I missed this;

10-32. It is just a philister head machine screw inserted from the rear and they are regular old zinc coated steel.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Thanks for the replies. I have the plugs, just wondering what size it was 10-32 seems small. In one of the 2405 there was 2 small aluminum washers in the other there were none, what's the purpose of those?

Washers where?

Can you post a pic?

Unless someone has modified it 10-32 is the size.

Barry.

i would say 1audiohack is right, he probably reconed/fixed hundreds of drivers already...
    unless its modified like he said...
    Semper Fidelis

Just to be clear, There's an aluminum stud with a 10-32 female thread on one end, is it 10-32 on the other end too?

that stud is screwed in the middle of the back of that phase plug, you have to take the decal off the back of the magnet and you will see that screw.. if you take that off,l the plug will come off..(with the housing disassembled already of course)

I bet if you youtube it youll see exactly what it looks like... im not doing that for you...
    Semper Fidelis

Name:  IMG_20161021_140028[1].jpg
Views: 533
Size:  33.1 KBName:  IMG_20161023_143342[1].jpg
Views: 515
Size:  34.5 KB

Just thought I'd update this post. I had a machinist friend make a pair of acrylic phase plugs. They fit perfect, same size and shape and the sound is identical.

Cool!

You will be able to market those!

Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Cool!

Barry.
    Yeah, they wear out so quickly, even faster if you turn the treble up. I replace mine every two years. The difference is night and day.

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    Yeah, they wear out so quickly, even faster if you turn the treble up. I replace mine every two years. The difference is night and day.
    ?!?

You don't think anyone has ever thought about making 077's from 2405's?

I'm not going to be rude, so I will just say wow.

Barry.

FWIW, 3 of the 5 "Similar Thread" links below are from guys wanting these phase plugs - and I know that's just the tip of the iceberg.

The only thing I wasn't sure of is the hole size/thread size in the plug, we just went with 5/16". The part was first turned on a cnc out of acrylic rod turned around and the holes were done, then another cnc mill to make the profile, the post was turned out of aluminum with 5/16" male on one end and 10-32? female on the other. All in all they look pretty good.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Cool!

Barry.

One would think...,

But maybe not so easy. Most people aren't going to want to take their tweeter apart, possibly damaging it, to change the plug if the diaphragm is not being changed at the same time.

And even then, how do you get the word out? ePay is only so effective.

I had also considered doing acrylic phase plugs. But I would just take an existing plug and make a mold from it and use that to cast acrylic. Machining is not really the way to go on something like this. I have access to this equipment and/or people who do this regularly.

But I'm really not seeing the market to warrant the initial investment in time, effort, and money.

Thread Information