Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is 4 Way design dead?

As l said earlier check the system response data sheets.

In this instance l preferred the 4338. I don’t need to justify my preferences but l do trust my ears.
    Just because the business put out a design does not mean it’s a winner. Jbl has had some technically superior system that were flops.

I think it’s a case by case preference. It would be ludicrous to suggest because the DD67000 is not multi way system with a 10 inch mid that it is inferior because it uses a 15 inch woofer and a horn.

Side by side my impressions of the 4348 and the 4338 were the 4338 was a better all round system of the two.
    That view was as l found out later the opinion of a Jbl engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    As l said earlier check the system response data sheets.

In this instance l preferred the 4338. I don’t need to justify my preferences but l do trust my ears.
    Just because the business put out a design does not mean it’s a winner. Jbl has had some technically superior system that were flops.

I think it’s a case by case preference. It would be ludicrous to suggest because the DD67000 is not multi way system with a 10 inch mid that it is inferior because it uses a 15 inch woofer and a horn.

Side by side my impressions of the 4348 and the 4338 were the 4338 was a better all round system of the two.
    That view was as l found out later the opinion of a Jbl engineer.

that´s fine for me

I know a guy in US that have owned both S9800 and 4348 and he did like the 4-way design 4348 better in nearly every way
    he said at 4348 have way better low end than S9800

Ari

An individuals opinion having listened to a product is what this hobby is largely about. Not an opinion based an another’s opinion.

From an industry perspective the problem we find with forums is that opinions and posting popularity of a product can turn into a lot of activity based purely reading another’s option rather than listening for your self and forming your own opinion. That doesn’t do the reader any favours or the product subjective appeal.

An individuals opinion having listened to a product is what this hobby is largely about. Not an opinion based an another’s opinion.

From an industry perspective the problem we find with forums is that opinions and posting popularity of a product can turn into a lot of activity based purely reading another’s option rather than listening for your self and forming your own opinion. That doesn’t do the reader any favours or the product subjective appeal.

I am totally agree with you!
    I have play with both 2-way and 4-way, I have my K2-s9900 and DIY 4348MkII project, for my taste I like the 4-way better

Ari

Quote Originally Posted by hlaari View Post
    that´s fine for me

I know a guy in US that have owned both S9800 and 4348 and he did like the 4-way design 4348 better in nearly every way
    he said at 4348 have way better low end than S9800

Ari

Low frequency Linearity of a 4 way is always positive if thats what the markets wants.

in Japan there is a strong legacy following of the blue baffle systems that goes all the way back to the 43xx legacy systems. its the old monitor presentation that appeals and the way the drivers were built. People also hold the aspiration improving these systems without impacting on the integrity of the design.

The S9500 and all the newer S9800 ect are voiced differently and they appeal to a different taste in the Japanese market.
    Its more hifi listening. When you think about it that is where the industry has gone as a movement and if the top influencer in Stereo Sound says its good they will buy it. That is how the business tends to work. But the individuals is always going to have a unique set of likes or preferences that make up their illusion of the artists or producers intent. So no one product will ever please everyone the same way. There are no absolutes and opinions are just opinions.

Your diy projects will be either better or worse than the Jbl factory product but not the same.

We also have to allow for frozen ear drums in the northern hemisphere. Lol.

Btw what is the 4348mk11?

my DIY 4348 project

Ari

A diy project always sounds better ⛏😀

Low frequency Linearity of a 4 way is always positive if thats what the markets wants.

in Japan there is a strong legacy following of the blue baffle systems that goes all the way back to the 43xx legacy systems. its the old monitor presentation that appeals and the way the drivers were built. People also hold the aspiration improving these systems without impacting on the integrity of the design.

The S9500 and all the newer S9800 ect are voiced differently and they appeal to a different taste in the Japanese market.
    Its more hifi listening. When you think about it that is where the industry has gone as a movement and if the top influencer in Stereo Sound says its good they will buy it. That is how the business tends to work. But the individuals is always going to have a unique set of likes or preferences that make up their illusion of the artists or producers intent. So no one product will ever please everyone the same way. There are no absolutes and opinions are just opinions.
    But why so many of us like vintage 4 way JBL,such as 4343/4344/4345/4350/250Ti than 2 way vintage JBL?do you really think that today JBL has no need for mid range cone at all?
    46 lover

[QUOTE=Ian Mackenzie;423515]Your diy projects will be either better or worse than the Jbl factory product but not
    they are going to be different from the original version, with different driver parts (W1500H, dual 251J, 476Be and 045Mg)
    this system will be fully active

I think at I will call them 4348MKII

Ari's great 4348MKII system
    46 lover

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor_Electron View Post

Guess #1:
    Cost. A four way with top notch drivers cost big bucks (as in the 4315, 4333, 4343, 4350 et al), were and are very expensive,

Might have to do/due with management

Name:  2014-06-Julie-Segal-ceo-interview-Dinesh-Paliwal-article-page.jpg
Views: 990
Size:  197.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Brian DK View Post
    Hi.
    In the good old JBL days, there where systems like 250ti and verious 43XX 4ways systems.

Today JBL seams to "only" design 3ways.?

Why is that?

I remember the "old" 4 ways systems as very good systems.
    Why is that design discontinued.?
    It's all about the music.

IF you can get equivalent quality from a 2 or 3 way, why then build a more complex 4 way ? Keep it as simple as possible to still get the job done. Drivers are much improved since the 4 way era.

Personally I have 4 way 250ti's and on some programs prefer my 1 way Walsh's.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    It's all about the music.

IF you can get equivalent quality from a 2 or 3 way, why then build a more complex 4 way ? Keep it as simple as possible to still get the job done. Drivers are much improved since the 4 way era.

Personally I have 4 way 250ti's and on some programs prefer my 1 way Walsh's.
    Hi,008,do you seriously think that 1.6T/2.0T engines can totally replace the position of those V8 5.7/V6 3.5 beast engines?
    46 lover

Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post
    Hi,008,do you seriously think that 1.6T/2.0T engines can easily replace the position of those V8 5.7/V6 3.5 beast engines?
    whatcha smoking Martin

wrong forum.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post
    Hi,008,do you seriously think that 1.6T/2.0T engines can easily replace the position of those V8 5.7/V6 3.5 beast engines?
    Not an appropriate comparison.

I am wondering how you access these forums?

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    whatcha smoking Martin

wrong forum.
    You know,just metaphor
    46 lover

Thread Information