Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Are their any legit sonic reasons why 70s JBLs and paragons gone through the roof?

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    these days i dont think people are that stupid to pay crazy money for things that dont sound very good..
    Your premise that things that "don't sound very good" have less value is wrong. Also that someone would be stupid in any case, that's also wrong. People decide for themselves what has value, and your ideas don't enter into it.

I think there are other factors here that have only been slightly touched on.

My THEORY is that many of the L300's, L100's..etc are being bought by baby boomers who could not afford those speakers NEW. Now they have time to enjoy and money to buy.
    I lusted after L-100's in '73 , but at $273 EACH, they were way out of my price range.
    Now ? pffft. And even IF L-300's are going for $10K , current high end is more expensive than that. Plus, you generally are happy with gear you are familiar with.

Also feel that the nostalgia effect overpowers the lack of SOTA performance. Most in that age group don't have SOTA ears anymore either. Bang for the buck ..sufficing....why spend lots for capacity that isn't needed ?

And maybe listening habits add into the equation too. Maybe they are listening to classic recordings that sound better on vintage and are better suited than current high end speakers

My wife is Asian. I noted that many others are buying expensive houses although there are only 2 persons being housed. I asked her "whaz up wif dat" ??? Her answer surprised me..
    "You have to show your friends that you are doing OKAY"

Lastly .... I'm seeing a slight trends towards building MONO systems , film cameras, typewriters, cassette tapes , etc. Their prices are rising
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I have a question for vinny.

What exactly are driving at?

The only time I see a question mark in any of your posts is in the middle and it is always followed by a statement, where you answer your own question.

If you have come to tell us all that the money we have spent on our heritage equipment is stupid, then say it and be done.

Are you really trying to figure something out? If so, a little insight on why might help. It seems obvious to me that we are getting nowhere near helping you see this as we see it.

Sincerely,
    Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    I have a question for vinny.

What exactly are driving at?

The only time I see a question mark in any of your posts is in the middle and it is always followed by a statement, where you answer your own question.

If you have come to tell us all that the money we have spent on our heritage equipment is stupid, then say it and be done.

Are you really trying to figure something out? If so, a little insight on why might help. It seems obvious to me that we are getting nowhere near helping you see this as we see it.

Sincerely,
    Barry.
    Topic for conversation, learning from one another, listening to others viewpoints. Audio is never black and white.

Hi vinny;

OK. It just seemed to me like we were on separate pages and not getting anywhere. We do like being helpful.

Thanks for the clarification.

All the best,
    Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I suppose I should have chimed in earlier to perhaps change your opinion?

I have a pair of JBL 4345 clones using Kenrick cabinets and populated with new or refurbished-as-new drivers and charge-coupled crossovers. I will—and have—put these up against modern systems, and the vintage JBLs win every time. No need for subwoofers and a 200-watt amp is all that's needed to rattle the windows. I paid a fair price as asked in this group about eight years ago from a forum member. It was still far below the price good-furniture, wife-friendly JBLs go for but these also perform on a level quite a ways above your standard L300 or 4333. I truly think I'd expect to pay $30k, or more, for a new, modern speaker that could hope to compare with mine—and I have no reason to do it.

Try them, you'll like them.
    Your answer intrigues me i would like to build the ultimate vintage JBl system myself. I tried pmming you but your email is full need to make space lol

Thread Information