Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C44 Paragon info

C44 Paragon info

So short story I have managed to inherit a paragon. Looking for info on what year it would be from the serial number(42854 A) as well as try to figure out the best way to take a look at the drivers to make sure they are in good shape before I power it up. I have been doing a lot of searching on the internet but it looks like this is the best place to get the right info and answers. Cheers!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

There have been a few attempts at some serial number database, at least two threads just up the page from this one (and one thread has a link to yet a third thread). There is no definitive or official serial number registry. You'll can just provide the number and let the buyer decide if it's in a range they'll pay for, I guess. Do you have any experience disassembling speakers? I'd be more afraid of damaging the thing by taking it apart than I would be gently applying music to it and seeing if it plays. It'll likely bring more in an untouched condition, anyway, so long as it functions.

Thanks. I don't plan on selling it so anything I do is going to be to keep it in the best possible working condition and to preserve it. Can't wait to get it hooked up properly. Does anyone have any recommendations on amps and pre amps that work well with this thing? I'm thinking solid state so that my wife will also be able to operate it as well. Any help or recommendations on anything to do with it would be greatly appreciated. I feel very fortunate to have this as a part of my collection.

You can narrow down the year built to within a year or so buy in order to do so you will have to get a look at the driver load and the serial numbers
    This assuming yours is an unmolested original
    It's not that difficult to break down a Paragon, just have a helper with steady hands and some common sense
    Sliding up and off the front curved panel is the most delicate part, the rest is easy
    But you don't even need to do that as you can access almost everything from the back
    Do all final screw torquing by hand and you'll have no problems

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Drew78 View Post
    I'm thinking solid state so that my wife will also be able to operate it as well. Any help or recommendations on anything to do with it would be greatly appreciated.
    Why can't your wife operate a tube amp?
    I would lean heavily in favor of tubes, I have heard them with both
    If it has to be solid state a well restored early JBL amp or a Marantz, even one of ther 22xx series receivers like the 2270. Early KENWOODs like any of the TOTL "KA" series will sound nice too
    Some may scoff at my suggestions but the match with these older well built solid state amps and receivers is sublime
    BUT ONLY IF RESTORED WITH A CLEAN BILL OF HEALTH

Joe

I'm just thinking ease of use as well as maintenance for going with older solid state gear. And definitely want to match it up with something of the same vintage. I actually used to own a Kenwood KA9100. Very solid well made receiver. I did try to carefully pull the screws off the back to access the drivers but the panels don't want to budge and I don't want to force it. I do have a pic of the ring radiator with the serial number on that if that helps?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That badge looks like it is from the late 1970's. So, I would imagine yours is from the latter part of the production.

Quote Originally Posted by 4345 View Post
    That badge looks like it is from the late 1970's. So, I would imagine yours is from the latter part of the production.
    I agree... late '70s or early '80's.

You really must open the woofer chambers as it is very likely your LE15A or LE15H woofers have rotten foam surrounds.

Widget

Thanks for the advice. Looks like I will be trying to carefully take the back covers off. Anyone know if they used glue to seal these on when the screwed them on? The one I tried to pull off was on there very solidly. Is there a good place to buy the speaker foam surrounds?

Cool

Rick Cobb for foams.

[email protected]

Should not be any glue, but paint tends to stick together after 30 years...
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

Much appreciated!! I'll take all the help I can get!

Last Paragon was built in '83

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I agree... late '70s or early '80's.

You really must open the woofer chambers as it is very likely your LE15A or LE15H woofers have rotten foam surrounds.

Widget
    Or Lans-a-loy if he has LE15As
    Definitely with the LE15H
    Either way, he'll need new surrounds in all likelihood

Joe

Didn't get the back off yet but did use a light and mirror to look around and at the drivers from the front side. Definitely need new surrounds. Some of the foam has fallen right off.

Registry records suggest your Paragon is from 1980 or 1981.
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

Thread Information