Thread: this early JBL transformer

this early JBL transformer

Hi

I need your advice on these two units of JBL SA600 of the 1960s era. I'm a great fan of vintage JBL gear.
    Just take a look at the two pics here. The first one show a very early version, and the second a much later model.
    At the moment, both have been tested work fine, all functions working.
    In particular, the first one has the early-style output transformer, compared with the later metal-mounted one.
    I'm curious about this particular transformer of the very early model, common in other vintage brands of the same era.
    Could anyone tell me some characteristics about this kind of transformer?
    Googling on this, it looks like they're magnetic components.
    Also, do you think it needs replacement in the near future, compared with the metal-mounted later model?
    What's the main difference between the early and later transformers?
    Any feedback and comments are welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

One simply has covers, or bells, the other does not
    They are, or can be, functionally identical, meaning the values found at the taps
    The windings and subsequent taps determine the transformer's ratings, the bells have nothing to do with it
    Leaving off the covers simply saves a few pennies per unit
    End bells can conceivavbly offer some degree of shielding if a unit is used in a sensitive area, but the efficacy of such would be circuit and design specific
    Many times, transformers with bells are also potted
    There may, or may not, be any technical difference between these two SPECIFIC examples, only a service manual or actual measurements could tell me this for sure
    But the bottom line is, it is merely a difference in manufacturing execution, not functionality
    It is also to some degree a cosmetic and safety practice
    The covers have noting to do with the function of a transformer, other than to facilitate potting and theoretically make for a safer and more quiet unit
    In the case of these two amps you have presented, the difference is probably because JBL sourced them from different vendors, or, the vendor changed their design
    One of them could even be an in the field service replacement, I do not have enough intimate knowledge of these amps to tell you whether or not that is the case, but I doubt that it is
    You can see quite clearly that more than a few parts underwent changes either in design or supplier over the life's run of the model
    No, you don't need to worry about changing your transformer

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Smith Jr View Post
    One simply has covers, or bells, the other does not
    They are, or can be, functionally identical, meaning the values found at the taps
    The windings and subsequent taps determine the transformer's ratings, the bells have nothing to do with it
    Leaving off the covers simply saves a few pennies per unit
    End bells can conceivavbly offer some degree of shielding if a unit is used in a sensitive area, but the efficacy of such would be circuit and design specific
    Many times, transformers with bells are also potted
    There may, or may not, be any technical difference between these two SPECIFIC examples, only a service manual or actual measurements could tell me this for sure
    But the bottom line is, it is merely a difference in manufacturing execution, not functionality
    It is also to some degree a cosmetic and safety practice
    The covers have noting to do with the function of a transformer, other than to facilitate potting and theoretically make for a safer and more quiet unit
    In the case of these two amps you have presented, the difference is probably because JBL sourced them from different vendors, or, the vendor changed their design
    One of them could even be an in the field service replacement, I do not have enough intimate knowledge of these amps to tell you whether or not that is the case, but I doubt that it is
    You can see quite clearly that more than a few parts underwent changes either in design or supplier over the life's run of the model
    No, you don't need to worry about changing your transformer

Joe
    Got it, Joe! Thanks a lot for your kind and detailed information on this.
    My long doubt on this issue has been finally solved!
    By the way, are the components of the transformer without end bell magnetic? Just want to double check.

Quote Originally Posted by pyonc View Post
    Got it, Joe! Thanks a lot for your kind and detailed information on this.
    My long doubt on this issue has been finally solved!
    By the way, are the components of the transformer without end bell magnetic? Just want to double check.
    http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/...er-basics.html

http://www.learnabout-electronics.or...sformers03.php

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformer_types

Quote Originally Posted by pyonc View Post
    In particular, the first one has the early-style output transformer, compared with the later metal-mounted one.
    I'm curious about this particular transformer of the very early model, common in other vintage brands of the same era.
    Could anyone tell me some characteristics about this kind of transformer?
    Seeing as how it's a solid state amp, and there's only a single transformer, my guess is that it's the power supply transformer - not an output transformer.

thin interleaved steel plates, regardless of covers or not...

Magnetic? Sure. Magnetized? Probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    Seeing as how it's a solid state amp, and there's only a single transformer, my guess is that it's the power supply transformer - not an output transformer.
    You know better than I, and you're right. Thanks for correcting me.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    thin interleaved steel plates, regardless of covers or not...

Magnetic? Sure. Magnetized? Probably not.
    Yes, magnetic..... Thanks for your sharp observation, grumpy.

Thread Information