Thread: speaker power & matching amp

speaker power & matching amp

Hi

Someone I know, author of two books on audio, currently uses Krell KSA 50 (Class A 50 watts) to drive his 4343 in single mode.
    For preamp, he uses Audio Research SP-8. After trying many high-end power amps with much bigger watts, he has concluded Krell KSA 50 is the best match.
    Now, according to the 4343 specifications, this is what it says:

Maximum Power Input*:
    Bi-amplification

Below 300 Hz 75 W continuous sine wave
    Above 300 Hz 75 W continuous sine wave
    Single amplification 75 W continuous sine wave
    (*Power amplifier headroom recommendation is 3 dB mimmum, i e , fora 75-watt rating use a 150-watt amplifier.)

Now, this is my question: Is 50 watts enough to handle this big JBL studio monitors like 4343? Or is it rather low power?
    Given its high SPL (93dB), I feel it looks okay. Still I'm curious because my main speaker system is 4343.
    (In my case, 40 watts for mid/high, and 175 watts for the woofers in bi-amp mode.)
    Thanks for your feedback and comment, as always.

It just isn't that simple. A really good 50 watt amp like the KSA 50 will sound better than a mediocre 200 watt amp. But the 200 watt amp will play louder (~6dB) with lower distortion than the 50 watt amp.

Most of us probably listen to music below 100dB in moderate sized rooms so a 50 watt amp will do that with 93dB/1w/1m speakers and have almost 10dB of headroom for peaks. This is likely all you need, but if you want recording studio playback levels that tend to get pretty hot, you'll need more power. 200-500 watts.

These higher power figures are assuming 20-50 watts continuous with 10dB peaks.

Widget

Hi,

what about biamping? You will have more headroom ( and probably a smile in your face.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    It just isn't that simple. A really good 50 watt amp like the KSA 50 will sound better than a mediocre 200 watt amp. But the 200 watt amp will play louder (~6dB) with lower distortion than the 50 watt amp.

Most of us probably listen to music below 100dB in moderate sized rooms so a 50 watt amp will do that with 93dB/1w/1m speakers and have almost 10dB of headroom for peaks. This is likely all you need, but if you want recording studio playback levels that tend to get pretty hot, you'll need more power. 200-500 watts.

These higher power figures are assuming 20-50 watts continuous with 10dB peaks.

Widget
    Thanks for your valuable feedback, Widget.
    I'm a normal listener with a moderate-size listening room like most of our forum members, as you mentioned.
    By the way, I've recently obtained Krell KSA 50 in good working condition.
    Even in bi-amp mode, I guess KSA 50 is enough to drive the woofers of 4343, given its 93db.
    I hear this particular amp is very efficient for bass.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    Hi,

what about biamping? You will have more headroom ( and probably a smile in your face.)

Thread Information