Thread: Opinions on JBL 4350 Orientation...

Opinions on JBL 4350 Orientation...

First off, I apologize if this topic has been covered...

I would like to pose a question to the forum on my JBL 4350 studio monitor orientation. I know that JBL designed these speakers to stand or be flown. In both cases, the speakers are in there original horizontal plain. I was curious (because of room & convenience) if I would still be achieving (or at least nearly) the sound the JBL designers designed into these monitors, if I stood them on end vertically? I would have to re-orient the tweeters for the proper off axis response etc... and of course, I would not be able to use the midrange dispersion lenses. So that would place the woofers one above the other not side by side, and no mid/high lenses.

As far as my listening room goes. My listening position is around 14' in front of the 4350's with the speakers being placed in the corners of the room. The ceiling is vaulted so around 7.5' on one end and 9' on the other and the room is carpeted. It would sure be nice to have the speakers sitting vertically, but I am worried about the wave fronts, and interaction of the drivers in this configuration. Time alignment wouldn't be a problem. Anyway, I am toying with the idea. I would also like to build a couple really "classy" dollies for the speakers to sit on. The dollies would have wheels on them, so as to lend themselves mobile, so that I can more easily perform maintenance on the cabinets i.e. keeping them cleaned and oiled. I'm guessing this would also de-couple the speakers from the floor...

I appreciate all opinions on this subject. So I can make an informed decision on this basis.

Many Thanks, Tom

Name:  jbl orientation.jpg
Views: 5016
Size:  79.6 KB
    Last edited by Loud & Clear; 07-13-2016 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Add Photo...

Two Time "Kidney Transplant Recipient"

Are you going to use the lens on the horn? Won't that sort of block the tweet or interupt the dispersion pattern somehow?

Quote Originally Posted by Loud & Clear View Post
    ... I would have to re-orient the tweeters for the proper off axis response etc... and of course, I would not be able to use the midrange dispersion lenses....
    He gets that.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

First off, I apologize if this topic has been covered...

I would like to pose a question to the forum on my JBL 4350 studio monitor orientation. I know that JBL designed these speakers to stand or be flown. In both cases, the speakers are in there original horizontal plain. I was curious (because of room & convenience) if I would still be achieving (or at least nearly) the sound the JBL designers designed into these monitors, if I stood them on end vertically? I would have to re-orient the tweeters for the proper off axis response etc... and of course, I would not be able to use the midrange dispersion lenses. So that would place the woofers one above the other not side by side, and no mid/high lenses.

As far as my listening room goes. My listening position is around 14' in front of the 4350's with the speakers being placed in the corners of the room. The ceiling is vaulted so around 7.5' on one end and 9' on the other and the room is carpeted. It would sure be nice to have the speakers sitting vertically, but I am worried about the wave fronts, and interaction of the drivers in this configuration. Time alignment wouldn't be a problem. Anyway, I am toying with the idea. I would also like to build a couple really "classy" dollies for the speakers to sit on. The dollies would have wheels on them, so as to lend themselves mobile, so that I can more easily perform maintenance on the cabinets i.e. keeping them cleaned and oiled. I'm guessing this would also de-couple the speakers from the floor...

I appreciate all opinions on this subject. So I can make an informed decision on this basis.

Many Thanks, Tom

Name:  jbl orientation.jpg
Views: 5016
Size:  79.6 KB

Hi Tom,

Using 2441 loaded with 2311 without 2308 lenses would produce large FR and spacial dis-balance, so I would not suggest You at all.
    If You would succeed in installing 2308 lenses then You can make large diffraction problem for 2405 driver as 2308 would cover part of the 2405 face.

regards
    ivica

To

I would think the vertical position as shown may have superior imaging due to vertical orientation of horn and mid.

You may wish to try the array on the inner side of the woofers.

With the woofers vertically aligned there will be less floor "bloom" and improved bass definitio

As to the 2308 the frequency the slot /2405 interact the impact of the lens is not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    Hi Tom,

Using 2441 loaded with 2311 without 2308 lenses would produce large FR and spacial dis-balance, so I would not suggest You at all.
    If You would succeed in installing 2308 lenses then You can make large diffraction problem for 2405 driver as 2308 would cover part of the 2405 face.

regards
    ivica
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    I would think the vertical position as shown may have superior imaging due to vertical orientation of horn and mid.

You may wish to try the array on the inner side of the woofers.

With the woofers vertically aligned there will be less floor "bloom" and improved bass definitio

As to the 2308 the frequency the slot /2405 interact the impact of the lens is not an issue.
    Sorry for the delay, I didn't think I was going to get any answers there for awhile. I appreciate the feedback guys. I understand what is being said here. Ian has a valid point on the mid-bass and high end becoming more of a line array. I can also appreciate the being a problem in the wavefronts with the mid/high and UHF drivers setting side by side horizontally. I'm curious as to why It would be advantageous to have the woofers on the outer side of the layout? Thanks.

Time to try some options and find out what works in your room.

Essentially you have two conflicting requirements:

Equilateral triangle distance between the horn centres and your listening position and; the lateral horizontal inflection angle of the horn and slot from the hornVC and the slot VC

It really amounts to your room dimension and the best imaging .

If on the outer the horns are giving you the right centre image don't loose sleep on it.

Otherwise disconnect everything and wheel the boxes opposite sizes and do it all again.

Personally l would have a Sierra Nevada Pale ale and a good slash before any further determinations .

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Time to try some options and find out what works in your room.

Essentially you have two conflicting requirements:

Equilateral triangle distance between the horn centres and your listening position and; the lateral horizontal inflection angle of the horn and slot from the hornVC and the slot VC

It really amounts to your room dimension and the best imaging .

If on the outer the horns are giving you the right centre image don't loose sleep on it.

Otherwise disconnect everything and wheel the boxes opposite sizes and do it all again.

Personally l would have a Sierra Nevada Pale ale and a good slash before any further determinations .
    Thanks Ian. I do not believe the "sweet spot" equilateral triangle will be much of a problem, but I think that the horns will be a little high throwing them a little of axis. Best dig out my tape and run a few numbers before I flip em'...

Thanks Ian. I do not believe the "sweet spot" equilateral triangle will be much of a problem, but I think that the horns will be a little high throwing them a little of axis. Best dig out my tape and run a few numbers before I flip em'...
    Hi,

If You look at the 2308 (lenses) off-axis response You can see that 30 deg. off-axis F/R response is OK, so I would suggest You to use 2308 in its correct orientation.

Regards Ivica
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information