Thread: Blues

Blues

Anybody that likes Blues should get the Blues series "crucial Blues" by Alligator records some VERY good stuff there. Only in CD but what the heck.

Cool

Sounds awesome and I will definitely check it out but blues is the ONLY genre of music that I haven't heard on the radio in the last 20 years. It's dead like rock music.

Quote Originally Posted by earblessing View Post
    Sounds awesome and I will definitely check it out but blues is the ONLY genre of music that I haven't heard on the radio in the last 20 years. It's dead like rock music.
    Try Internet radio. A little of everything and lots of good stuff.

Just a suggestion: https://www.internet-radio.com/stations/blues/
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Not surprised, being as you live in Canada, the Land that blessed the World with Justin Bieber, Celine Dion, Neil Young, Avril Lavigne, Sarah McLachlan and k.d. lang to mention but a few

Turn on the radio, AM or FM, anywhere near the Mississippi, up or down, like West Memphis, or for that matter ANYWHERE close to the Delta and then tell me the Blues are dead on radio

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by quindecima View Post
    Anybody that likes Blues should get the Blues series "crucial Blues" by Alligator records some VERY good stuff there. Only in CD but what the heck.
    Very reasonably priced. It'd be cool if they put out a box set of this series, lot of good stuff, thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Smith Jr View Post
    Turn on the radio, AM or FM, anywhere near the Mississippi, up or down, like West Memphis, or for that matter ANYWHERE close to the Delta and then tell me the Blues are dead on radio

Joe
    That is great,

Rock is Dead ?!
    Just Play Music.

Get yourself a Sirius/XM satellite radio Internet subscription. They have a channel that's all blues 24/7 (B.B. King's Bluesville). They also have an all-bluegrass channel, 5 country channels, an all-jazz channel and a channel that plays big band & swing from the 1930s and 1940s. (And of course, a ton of pop and rock channels.) And they even have a "Canadian" category that includes indie, country, folk, news, talk, comedy and weather channels. My Internet subscription is only around eight bucks a month (US). TOTALLY worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by hsosdrum View Post
    Get yourself a Sirius/XM satellite radio Internet subscription.
    You must have different Sirius that what we get!

I couldn't stand listening to the quality of their sound, especially if I knew I was paying for such low-resolution crap. Even on a car radio (which I test daily in my work) it sounds awful, like someone screaming from inside a trash can. Better quality sound is available for free from the Internet.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Sirrus and all these other similar offerings are not what I consider IMO "RADIO" (am or fm) its all about (Merely genres/playlists, convenient yes, but not the marrow of Radio). Radio is free in every sense of the word. Progressive in the true meaning of the word, even in the Blues idiom.
    There is nothing like listening to regular radio and stumbling into some of the best Blues, Jazz etc. on a humble radio station, it is just apples and oranges. It is real and honest as it should be. Unfortunately those radio stations are harder to come across than in the old days. Plus I don't want to pay for these lifeless stations, I have only one subscription to rhapsody (now Napster) and that is more than enough for me, amazon prime has some good stuff too.
    They do have a lot to offer and capable of expanding one's horizons but it s jut not the same as listening to good old fashion RADIO!
    Just Play Music.

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Sirius and all these other similar offerings are not what I consider IMO "RADIO" (am or fm) its all about (Merely genres/playlists, convenient yes, but not the marrow of Radio). Radio is free in every sense of the word. Progressive even in the Blues idiom.
    There is nothing like listening to regular radio and stumbling into some of the best Blues, Jazz et. on a humble radio station, it is just apples and oranges. It is real and honest as it should be. Unfortunately they are harder to come across than in the old days. Plus I don't want to pay for these "playlists/genres". They do have a lot to offer and capable of expanding one's horizons but it s jut not the same as listening to good old fashion RADIO!
    No arguments there
    I am a true believer in OTA radio as well as television
    They are a tool and protector of freedom as much as they are a facilitator of access to true, and more importantly, often local cultural variety of content
    A great many people don't think of it that way today
    The murder of analog television on June 12, 2009 was the beginning of silencing many voices
    Anything sinister to it? I already know what I believe to be true and nothing is going to change that so I'm not interested in a debate, you decide for yourself what you think
    I will say, we are flirting with a dangerous situation as a lot of people, more and more every day, abandon them and rely exclusively on the subscription market

Aside from the local markets' cultural and artistic loss

Joe

I couldn't agree more with you Joe. Its a weird state of affairs. My kids and their friend probably don't even know what a radio really is, I guess we're just getting old . I only buy Cds, I like them better than streamed/mp3s, I like something tangible, thankfully vinyl has been making a comeback so I hope the cd wont vanish into the void.

I'm just really glad to know that out there somewhere some disc jockey is still playing Blues on the radio, that makes me smile.
    Just Play Music.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    You must have different Sirius that what we get!

I couldn't stand listening to the quality of their sound, especially if I knew I was paying for such low-resolution crap. Even on a car radio (which I test daily in my work) it sounds awful, like someone screaming from inside a trash can. Better quality sound is available for free from the Internet.
    I've been a Sirius subscriber since 2003 and have listened to the audio quality of their signal deteriorate steadily since around 2008. It got so bad that around four years ago I converted my home and studio to an Internet subscription. The audio quality is light-years better than that of their 'over-the-air' signal (which now sounds like a low bit-rate MP3, but I'm still stuck with it in my car), and is certainly good enough for me when it comes to background and non-critical listening (comparable with FM and other Internet Radio stations).

While I agree that the Internet is overflowing with radio station choices, the difficulty is finding what you want. Once you do you can bookmark it (laut.fm.progman is my go-to station for progressive rock), but my time is worth an awful lot to me, and I don't consider spending time searching all over the Internet for music to be a good value. I'd much rather spend a small amount of money for a service that provides a wide variety of music to my digital doorstep.

Where I live (Southern California, USA), there hasn't been an over-the-air radio station playing music that I like since the late 1980s. IMHO radio has been a total musical wasteland here since then. Although I'm not crazy about how 'Balkanized' Sirius' channel offerings have become (when I first subscribed they had several channels that played a huge variety of different types of music, but they've gradually phased those out over the years in favor of channels that each specialize in a narrower musical focus), but I can still get jazz and bebop, big-band and swing, all varieties of rock, and most anything else that fits my mood simply by changing the channel. To me that's totally worth $7 a month. And when I want to listen seriously and have a bigger emotional connection with music I can simply play a CD.

Life is good.

Since you are not in the Central Illinois area, the internet to the rescue. Just an mp3 stream, but it sounds good to me. WGLT, the Blues Blowtorch of the Midwest, had its music program curtailed a few years ago when the only responders to the annual listener's survey said more news less music. Their online presence is undiminished as a premier Blues and Jazz source - it's 24/7. Check out the Jon Norton interview format archives too if it sounds interesting. (They also have an acoustic treasure called Acousticity. http://wglt.org/programs/acousticity http://wgltradio.ilstu.edu:8000/wgltfolk.mp3 ) Splash Page: http://wglt.org/programs/glt-blues Streaming link:

http://wgltradio.ilstu.edu:8000/wgltblues.mp3

Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Re: WGLT, there are apps for IOS and android too. Works fine on my IPod Touch.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Thread Information