Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trying to identify a JBL 4343 speaker...

Trying to identify a JBL 4343 speaker...

Hello,

since this is my first posting here, I will not be impolite, but I'm under pressure... As happy owner of JBL L65 "Jubal" I'm tempted to acquire bigger studio monitors from JBL here in Germany and someone offered me JBL 4343, "all original, perfect condition, second owner etc..." Now i'm in doubt if this is true, I had to travel a long way to him and yesterday he told me, that the speakers who have american walnut veneer have also black baffle boards, black covered grills and straight edges instead of slanted ones surrounding the front of the cabinet. He say that this is original but I can't find images of such an 4343 version on the internet... Can you please help me? Did such a version of the 4343 exist? And sorry, I have no images, only the description of the owner...

Thank you

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by FLHX View Post
    Hello,

since this is my first posting here, I will not be impolite, but I'm under pressure... As happy owner of JBL L65 "Jubal" I'm tempted to acquire bigger studio monitors from JBL here in Germany and someone offered me JBL 4343, "all original, perfect condition, second owner etc..." Now i'm in doubt if this is true, I had to travel a long way to him and yesterday he told me, that the speakers who have american walnut veneer have also black baffle boards, black covered grills and straight edges instead of slanted ones surrounding the front of the cabinet. He say that this is original but I can't find images of such an 4343 version on the internet... Can you please help me? Did such a version of the 4343 exist? And sorry, I have no images, only the description of the owner...

Thank you

Michael
    Hi FLHX,

I think the most important is that the drivers and its parts and the networks are JBL original

regards
    ivica

Hello Ivica,

thank You very much for Your reply, but since the speakers are very expensive, the originality is important to me...

Best regards

Michael

Hi there,

I could be wrong but as far as I am aware, The 4343 came in two different cabinet finishes only. The walnut finished version with blue baffles, blue grills, and angled edges on the cabinet. This type had the suffix "WX" e.g. 4343 WX or 4343B WX (for the 4343B). Or the studio grey version which had black baffles, black grills straight edges on the cabinet with a textured gray paint on the outside of the cabinet.

I would suggest that these monitors may be one of two things: Either not original cabinets OR original Studio gray cabinets that have been veneered by someone at a later date. If the seller can provide some photos we should be able to determine which it is. I'm sure someone will jump in to correct me if I'm wrong.

I agree with Goldjazz. I have 4315's in both finishes that are flat fronted, though the Veneered ones have blue faces. Both of my 4343's are veneered and have the angled front trim and blue baffles. I think your seller has studio grade painted speakers that have been veneered or has home built speakers. If you look through the pro catalogs, even the older models (4340/4341) have the flat front for painted, angled front for veneer, so I wouldn't believe a claim to a flat front, veneered 4343 being "Early production" or prototype.
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

Hello Goldjazz and HCSGuy,

thank you very much for your statements, that helps a lot, I have no photos from the seller, only claims: "The veneer must be original, it looks all so perfect" and "This must be a special order". So I will not make the long trip and continue to search for original ones. Again, thank all of you very much for the help...

Best regards

Michael

No photos = no sale. Should be a rule when buying vintage gear for >€100.
    In the past I wasted so many kilometers going to pick up stuff that was listed and assured by the seller being in 'good condition' it's absurd.

Also, flat front - DIY job. Wood veneer with black front - DIY job too.
    There were only two versions as someone mentioned before, the grey/black 4343 "Studio Finish" and the AWX/BWX (first letter refers to either alnico or ferrite versions).

By the way - I wouldn't bother that much in searching for original, they are as good as unobtainium and the prices are skyrocketing.
    I bet that you can let a carpenter make you a pair of 4343's in ANY finish you want, load them with JBL units, build new networks and still keep a lot of cash in the pocket.

Hello Martin,

thank you, the image gets clear, these 4343 are not original... But for 6000 euro the 4343 should be at least original... If the speakers were much cheaper, I wouldn't bother about the originality of the cabinets... But for this price? Are the prices for 4343 in original condition higher than 6000 euro at the moment here in Europe?

Best regards

Michael

Hi Michael,

Even as an owner of original 4343's I find €6k an utterly riddiculous price for 4343's, they serously should be on the edge of NIB/NOS condition for that price.

6k should easily get you 4344 or 4345. I also saw 4350's going for 7,5k. The K2 9800 are going at around 9k atm.
    The problem is finding them!

But seriously I think that you can build a perfect, fresh copy for <4000 with no problems.

Hello Martin,

thank you very much for the information, in fact I'm searching JBL 4341, 4343, 4344, 4345 or 4350 in an original condition, but it seems very difficult to get clean examples here in Europe at the moment... I would be willing to travel nearly europewide to pick up a nice and clean and original pair of JBL studio monitors... Maybe I should try on the marketplace here?

Best regards

Michael

How much is freight and customs from the US? I wonder if it makes sense to look over here. If you don't find a pair, let me know - I can live with one less pair of mine...
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

Hello HCSGuy,

I think freight is about 700 to 900 dollars, depending on the declared value I had to pay around 7% taxes and finally 20% VAT for the declared value plus taxes and the shipping costs... When my search here in Europe don't lead to results I will be happy to come back to Your offer. Do You have images? If yes I could send You my email address via PN... Anyway, thank you very much for the offer!

Best regards

Michael

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...per-clean-pair

These are still on the block. I know he can and will pack and ship.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by FLHX View Post
    I had to travel a long way to him ...

How far is "a long way"?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Hello Barry and BMWCCA,

thank You very much for the tip with the 4343 offered here, I have to check out the shipping costs and fees including VAT, in the end the speakers would perhaps reach 8000 - 9000 euro and that would be too much... The exchange rate for the euro isn't too good at the moment... And BMWCCA, long ways in Europe are surely much shorter than in the U.S., but the traffic here is heavy, even on the "Autobahn", so in this case 400 kilometer one way, but for a good pair of JBL studio monitors I would go up to 1500 kilometer one way... May I ask if BMWCCA is related to a bavarian car manufacturer?

Best regards

Michael

Thread Information