Thread: Old l100

Old l100

What would you recommend. I have a very early set
    Of L100. Modified with the 2405 tweeter. The crossovers are bad . I have since replaced them
    With jbl l100 t3 . But would like to get them working again

You replaced the crossover from an L100 with the crossover from an L100T3? That is very odd, because the two speakers have absolutely nothing in common other than the name. The only speaker where the L100T3 crossover is an upgrade is the L100T, since the L100T and L100T3 use the same drivers.

Where you go from here I suppose depends on what your goals are. Are you looking to restore them, or are you looking to continue with DIY "upgrades"? If it were me, I'd try to make them original again. If you don't like their sound, you can sell them for good money, which you could then use to get something you might like more.

Sorry I meant I replaced the whole
    Speaker with l100 t3 .
    You are probably right saying to sell them but I can't sell them with a bad crossovers . I tried to get it repaired twice but failed each time .
    I really like the l100 t3

What version of the L100 are yours? What is very early?
    What is "bad" about the crossovers, it's only 2 caps and 2 L-pads, unless your L100s are verticals?
    If they are the 2 cap networks you can build a pair from scratch for about $40-45 dollars

Joe

It's the vertical l100.
    I have no idea what's wrong with the crossover
    I tried an electronic crossover and tri amped
    But the setpoints were way off . I took the speakers once to houston tx and once to new Orleans LA
    But they couldn't repair them and or refused to repair them because the parts are no longer available from jbl

So my options are repairing the crossover.
    Wich so far have failed to .
    Option 2 find a electronic 3 way crossover
    That will work properly

Quote Originally Posted by Jbl jeff View Post
    It's the vertical l100.
    I have no idea what's wrong with the crossover
    I tried an electronic crossover and tri amped
    But the setpoints were way off . I took the speakers once to houston tx and once to new Orleans LA
    But they couldn't repair them and or refused to repair them because the parts are no longer available from jbl
    Thank you
    I'll try it another way, what is the symptom that makes you believe the crossovers are bad?
    Do the speakers just not play at all with the original networks in them?

Joe

They do not sound very good .
    When I get back home I will try them again
    Professional audio service in Memphis TN rebuilt them in the early 90s they sounded fantastic.
    Thanks for your help

What did you try to do to repair the crossovers? Used crossovers pop up on Ebay all the time so the entire assembly could be replaced, or at least harvested for needed parts, primarily the inductors.

Or a new crossover can be built using the original values, or there are a couple of alternative crossovers which some people feel smooth out the frequency response of the L100.

At any time were the speakers played by someone else, or possibly were damaged by over playing, excessive signal or power, or an amplifier fault?
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Quote Originally Posted by Jbl jeff View Post
    They do not sound very good .
    When I get back home I will try them again
    Professional audio service in Memphis TN rebuilt them in the early 90s they sounded fantastic.
    Thanks for your help
    Well, that's not very helpful for me to try and offer any help to you
    The LX12-10 is a pretty straight forward network and there's not really anything in them, short of L-pads, that can "go bad" and make your speakers not sound very good
    Unless something was literally burned up
    Especially if you had them gone through in the '90s, UNLESS they used some cheap electrolytics instead of film types and then what you are alluding to kind of makes sense
    I think you need to look at or consider other causes rather than ruin your nice verticals swapping out crossovers chasing something so vague
    I keep talking to you about this as I am intrigued as to why you are just assume something's wrong with your crossovers? Why do you tink the crossovers are bad or at fault?

I have no idea why that shop told you what they told you, there is nothing in that network that can't be bought brand new, today, parts wise
    Weird trend lately of people obsessing over crossovers as the source of all their problems, that and the feeling that they all need to be "rebuilt"
    I thought that was pretty much the domain of the Klipsch crowd
    Are the speakers exhibiting some actual symptom or are you just not happy with the way that they sound to your ears now?
    What is it that "sounds bad"? Please describe the problem

Joe

Thread Information