Thread: 4350

Hello , has any one attempted to quad amp a pair of 4350's? i have 2- 4 way crossovers i can use in mono and was thinking of using each crossover for 1 speaker and not use the internal one. it sounds great the way it is but was thinking of attempting this. i know it would be a challange to set up but it might be fun or is this just diminishing returns. i have tri-amped a pair of soverigns in the past with mac tube amps and it was great. Would appreciate the good, bad and the ugly comments on this idea. Also any comment on adding a second 077 to each cabinet?, thanks

Mine are driven with five amps. Penta-amped?

I use a dbx4800 for the crossover and eq.

Worth it? Hell yes!

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

HI Barry, sounds fantastic, can you give me an idea what amps used for each driver, tube, solid, stereo or mono and should i use the 4800 or the newer model 4820?, thanks, ken

Hi Ken;

I have no tube amps. Not because I dislike them, just never got around to that, yet.

The 4800 and 4820 are identical in function but since the majority use them via ethernet they discontinued the 4800 with all the front panel function.

These two smoke any other dbx product in power and sound quality and in my mind are absolutely worth the money. They sound like a wire to me.

Also they have Auto Warmth wich is something I have gushed over here before. It is a programmable low frequency loudness curve that is absolutely magic. For the record, I don't like dbx's sub sonic synth much at all but AW? Worth the price of admission.

Currently the amp rack has a three Crown K2's, one D75 and one D45. One K2 channel for each 15 and one split for the 12's. So far it's been plenty of power. Are there better amps? Sure.

What are the crossovers you currently have?

Barry.

HI Barry, i have 2 Rane AC23S which didnt cost much but willing to upgrade to something else like yours. so if i can get a deal on either 4800 or 4820 it should be ok right? or do you have a preference? currently i have 2 mac 2105's 1 channel per 15 and 2 primaluna dialogue 7's running the rest. is it difficult setting up the dbx?, also do you have power conditioning? thanks, ken

Hi Ken!
    Sorry to be so damn slow.

4800 vs 4820: I like the front access of the 4800 for playing around but it is a light show and may distract you in a dimmed room.

They both run on Harman System Architect via Ethernet or RS232 9pin, not on the dbx software that most of the other drive racks use so you will need the program if you don't already have it. The last I looked it was still a for purchase program. The 48's come with a disc in the box so try to get it with from wherever you purchase a dbx 48 series processor.

There is a learning curve no doubt and without acoustical measurement gear and the knowledge to use it one certainly won't get all that a high quality DSP product and speaker set on this level can offer.

The Rane's sound better than a lot of people give them credit for if they are healthy. If you are new to this, there is something very instructive in being able to turn a knob and hear what happens. I still have a couple in daily use. It sure wouldn't hurt you to start there.

Power conditioning: I ran a 30A 240V drop for the stereo and use a TripLite 6000 step down transformer for all the line level stuff and run amps on 240V when I can. (Amp dependent) All the 120V stiff is on a computer server grade Middle Atlantic 2200UPS. Did it make any real difference? Not much. You?

All the best,
    Barry.

Hi Barry, no problem thanks for the all the detail info, helps a lot., i have tri amped the soverigns in the past with a luxman tube crossover. The techs at rane suggested i stay with analogue with no dsp for home audio, something to do with amplifier power. he is familar with the 4350. maybe a better choice for me would be the ashley xr4001. reasonable price and i think i can handle this easily. I have a new p10 conditioner that was on sale for nearly half price., first conditioner i owned, wow. what a difference. dedicated lines 20 amp with 10 gauge and separate grounding. any recomendations for tube amps for the 2440 and 2405. thanks, Ken

Help with EQ and 5th amp

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Mine are driven with five amps. Penta-amped?

I use a dbx4800 for the crossover and eq.

Worth it? Hell yes!

Barry.
    I am thinking to setup like you did ( I have 5 2 channel and Ashly xr4001) my question is why we need eq and 5th amp? could help me to set it up? and what eq you recommend? Kevin

Hi Kevin!

These sound pretty good with no eq if all the drivers are level matched for loudness. Mine have different 15's and 12's as well as Be in the 2440's so your experience may vary some.

On the amp thing, I have done a fair amout of "watching" my music on an oscilloscope among other things watching for and recording peak voltage demands and have found the midbass drivers often have higher peak voltage demands even though the VLF drivers often use more average power. That has led me to use at least as much amp on the 12 as each 15. Five amps gives me a dedicated channel per driver so the 12 never wants for voltage and the 15's never want for current. I just love dynamics and the 4350's deliver!

Jump in, you will have fun.

Barry.

Thread Information