Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Happens in the Brain When Music Causes Chills?

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    You did a heck of a job today Sailor and I like your beard" . Loved it. told that story to my chief and he just boiled. Pics turned out great.
    Hey, your beard didn't have squat on them eyebrows of his! But, wouldn't you love to get a haircut chit from CNO, with his autograph on it as the reporting entity! Looks like a trim might have been in order. Typical airedale.

Regarding the raw emotive power of awesome military aircraft "with the pedals to the metal", I often observed flight ops from "vulture's row" high up on the port side of the island. With two Phantoms or a Phantom and a Viggie cranked up to full military afterburner just prior to launch, it was as if the very teeth in your head were going to come out and your entire body would disintegrate shortly after.

There was a scene in an NCIS episode where Gibbs and Tony were having a conversation on vulture's row under such conditions, wearing no protective headgear/hearing protection. Oh sure. They could have been rendered painfully deaf for weeks. An enlisted man could be put on report for malingering. There goes your liberty time, for months.
    How is it that the production team lets such a foible make its way to the final release cut?

Ok, Silver Stars? While one shines brightly, another is heavily tarnished.

The honorable retired NFO by the name of Driscoll still has the right and privilige to posess his military decorations and wear them on special occaisions.

His former crewmember in the F-4J Phantom II, one r. c*ntingham, though, does NOT. Convicted in the biggest case of bribery and fraud ever visited between Defense Contractors and an elected "representative of the People", his citizenship status was degraded to that of second class, and he was stripped of any and all decorations and awards.

Second class is too good for the incredibly vain, egotistical, greedy, treasonous, and despicable P.O.S. formerly known as a U.S. Naval Aviator. Fie!

I was in the olid vicinity of him on the hangar deck, flight deck, and ready-room areas of the ship many times, and ran into him at the 1985 Gathering of Warbirds airshow in Madera Ca. A 24 carat gold-plated prick was he. When finally released from a Federal Penitentiary, he dissed and argued with the judge at his discharge hearing about not being allowed to possess a firearm, and whined about losing his pension. Scum.

Great thread, 'Wolf

-de-

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor_Electron View Post
    His former crewmember in the F-4J Phantom II, one r. c*ntingham, though, does NOT. Convicted in the biggest case of bribery and fraud ever visited between Defense Contractors and an elected "representative of the People", his citizenship status was degraded to that of second class, and he was stripped of any and all decorations and awards.
    Great thread, 'Wolf

-de-
    My first encounter with RC was his CVA64 ID photo session. Could already tell by his 'tude.

I also got the call to grab a camera and run to the ready room when he returned after the first MIG kill.

He did the old "using hands to show planes positions" for him & the enemy. Part of the story you don't hear is that he thought it was an A-4 . At last moment he realized that was a MIG and fired . Lucky hit. One of my pics from that session is in a big coffee table book called THE NAVY. credited as "USN OFFICIAL PHOTO" , we never got individual credit.

Yup, I liked Zoomie and his Z-grams. I picked up his book in a thrift store, opened it up and noticed it was signed by "Bud Zumwalt" . He only used that name among friends . Framed the page. He was a guy who didn't get his son out of the VN mess, tho he could have.

Hey, your beard didn't have squat on them eyebrows of his! But, wouldn't you love to get a haircut chit from CNO, with his autograph on it as the reporting entity! Looks like a trim might have been in order. Typical airedale.

-de-
    yeah, but I went to a DOD* A-school for blackshoes (run by the Army). They didn't understand my green stripes and I never had duty during the entire year. Also had Army o-1's saluting me .

*Department of Defense

guess I was up shooting on the FD too ..see pic
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Hmmmm. I could easily park myself in the corner of the room and listen to you two reminisce. Too many good stories for one night, no doubt.
    David F
    San Jose

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    Hmmmm. I could easily park myself in the corner of the room and listen to you two reminisce. Too many good stories for one night, no doubt.
    Oh, that's what happens when two sailors* from the same ship, on the same eventful** cruise 45 years ago , bump into each other on a now niche speaker forum ....

*of the same, 1 of 4 possible sub-categories=Airdale (aviation)

** crew protested cruise in Bremerton, Wa. - some were arrested , Jane Fonda came to our Home Port in San Diego to protest the cruise , the San Diego had a citywide referendum on whether we should go cruising, in Pearl Harbor - 10 crew members chained themselves to palm trees to resist the cruise , 12 shipboard fires between Calif & Hawaii , only navy Aces of the war were produced on that cruise , CNO (Navy's answer to God) came out to the South China Sea to award them medals, after getting the order to go home - a visit to Japan - motorbikes purchased - emergency redeployment to bombing NVN - bikes dumped, etc,etc.

I'm sure D.E. could add more to the list

Strange to see all of those cruise books hosted on a german site. Anyway, I did find a photo of myself.
    http://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/lpd15-81/045.htm
    Top left.

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    Strange to see all of those cruise books hosted on a german site.
    yup, and there is a website watermark in the pics ... whats up wif dat

Mind Opener

Music can have many different effects on brain.

When I saw "Lawrence of Arabia" for the first time the scene in the beginning where the camera opens the view on the desert it was mind opening. The music was essential in this moment.

Tom, do you mean something like this when you say "Learn to Forget"?

The new DefTech powered center adds another dimension to my HT . Yesterday I watched an old (1927) favorite ... Metropolis.
    since it's a silent film that's been reconstructed from copies all over the world, the soundtrack music was completely re-recorded in 2010 in Germany from the original score.

Certain parts were eliciting a tingling feeling (subject of this thread) . It passes quickly, but is a definite, noticeable sensation.

D.E: I just finished up this DVD set from the library ==>> http://www.shoppbs.org/product/index...mp=PLA:3037239 . It's Nimitz, not Connie , but most of it still applies (except ship to shore phone calls, email & a gym) . It's 10 one hour PBS shows and pretty well sums up the experience. One particular episode on night recoveries on a pitching deck is eye opening. 17 straight bolters. wow.

Regarding the raw emotive power of awesome military aircraft "with the pedals to the metal", I often observed flight ops from "vulture's row" high up on the port side of the island. With two Phantoms or a Phantom and a Viggie cranked up to full military afterburner just prior to launch, it was as if the very teeth in your head were going to come out and your entire body would disintegrate shortly after.

Great thread, 'Wolf

-de-
    we made the list

All the sounds you can (and cannot) hear

SOUND INFRASOUND? DECIBELS
    A mosquito from 20 feet away 0
    A whisper 20
    Bird calls 44
    Microbaroms ✓ 30-50
    Conversation at home 50
    Light breeze ✓ 55-70
    Vaccum cleaner 70
    Blender 88
    Stiff breeze ✓ 70-90
    A motorcycle from 25 feet away 90
    Chelyabinsk meteor from 400 miles away ✓ 90
    Jackhammer 100
    Thunder 120
    Mine crushing machine from 328 feet away ✓ 127
    Deck of an aircraft carrier 140
    NASA’s acoustic testing chamber for satellites 163
    Krakatoa from 100 miles away 172
    Sperm whale echolocation 174
    Saturn V Rocket 204

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...u-on-the-spot/

Even with that protection, extremely loud infrasounds can still have an impact on our bodies. Humans exposed to infrasounds above 110 decibels experience changes in their blood pressure and respiratory rates. They get dizzy and have trouble maintaining their balance. In 1965, an Air Force experiment found that humans exposed to infrasound in the range of 151-153 decibels for 90 seconds began to feel their chests moving without their control. At a high enough decibel, the atmospheric pressure changes of infrasound can inflate and deflate lungs, effectively serving as a means of artificial respiration.

One last navy post ... I swear

D.E & Don C.

thought you might appreciate a conversation with my new VA
    primary care doctor.

I go in for a meet & greet/review meds visit. After 5 minutes conversation...

DR. : Navy, right ?
    me: yes, but you are cheating..looking at my records on your computer
    DR.: I'm NOT looking.
    me: Then how did you determine Navy ??
    DR. : "Sailors talk differently, they think differently, their brains are wired differently"

me:

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    "But his research suggests that those who experience the chills while listening to music weren’t always those having a deep emotional connection. Instead, his study showed that people engaged in the music more intellectually, like trying to predict the melody or putting mental imagery to the music, were more likely to get a shiver when the music deviated from their expectations in a positive way."
    By Jason Daley smithsonian.com
    June 20, 2016

The "frissons" not arising from an emotional experience but rather an intellectual experience? Not so sure. For instance I distinctly recall an event years ago (local Scottish Highland Games) when the collected Pipe & Drum bands joined together for the finale of Amazing Grace. This day I remember getting the chilly-willies while hearing the mass of bagpipes on the front stretch (fair ground horse track). The distinct wail of the pipes echoed throughout the stands around us before a slow decay. That seemed then, and now, highly emotional and not so much intellectual. Then again, I was not expecting the effect of the sheer volume and impact coming out of the collective bands. Hmmmm.
    An orgasm for the skin: The strange science behind “aesthetic chills”
    Have you ever listened to a piece of music and felt your arms break out in goosebumps? You may be prone to frisson

http://www.salon.com/2016/05/29/an_o..._skin_partner/

Thread Information