Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Decade L26

Obsolete
    "It's better than a 4350/55 thread degenerating into another thread about small JBL home speakers!"

LOL

"his wife says that a 4333 is far too big"

My suspicion is that many wives would gladly turn any thread about a 4350/55 into a 4301 or 4401 thread

Case in point, I recently finished a biased (charge coupled) pair of 4406 loudspeakers and made the mistake of raving about how great they were. Mistake number two was setting them on top of the 4430's. Mistake number three was having several friends over to have a listen and having them rave about how great they sounded too. My wife said "Oh thank heavens! Now the 4430's can go to the basement since these 4406's sound so wonderful!"

D'oh!

Hey Rob

Amazing how good those little 6 inchers can sound! Thats a good idea using a CC there. So it sounds like you are using that technique across the board now?? Those were your rears??

"Now the 4430's can go to the basement since these 4406's sound so wonderful!"

OOPPPS LOL

Have to watch that! I have done the same thing more than once.

Can be real tuff to get out of that one!

Rob

Obsolete
    Hi Rob,

No, I still have a stock pair of 4406's as rears but those are going CC soon too. I'm going to build a fifth 4406 for center channel now that the 4430's are going into the basement. I'll be running dual LE14H-1 subs for this little system.

"I'm going to build a fifth 4406 for center channel now that the 4430's are going into the basement."

OUCH!

Well you got company cause that's where my main rig is. I am permanately banished from the livingroom.

"I'll be running dual LE14H-1 subs for this little system."

Your gonna love it! When I work on my mains I use a pair of L20t3 on top of my subs and it really sounds great!! That is one nice Sub/Sat combo and can it surprise you! It did me! Just didn't expect it to ballance as well as it does. Not a bad way to get your JBL fix on a budjet. Great small system!!

Rob

Originally posted by Giskard

Case in point, I recently finished a biased (charge coupled) pair of 4406 loudspeakers and made the mistake of raving about how great they were. Mistake number two was setting them on top of the 4430's. Mistake number three was having several friends over to have a listen and having them rave about how great they sounded too. My wife said "Oh thank heavens! Now the 4430's can go to the basement since these 4406's sound so wonderful!"
    [/B]
    Giskard, I have read your posts for some time now and I mistakenly thought you were smarter than that.

How the mighty have fallen.

Originally posted by Robh3606

Well you got company cause that's where my main rig is. I am permanately banished from the livingroom.

Rob [/B]

Ditto!

Obsolete
    "Giskard, I have read your posts for some time now and I mistakenly thought you were smarter than that."

Operative word is "were". The further away from my teenage years I get, the dumber I become.

It was an utterly unprovoked sneak attack! The 4430's have sat in the main room for over 15 years. Now it's "let's change the curtains", "let's change the furniture", and "let's dump the 4430's down the stairs into the basement"... and I thought she liked them... what a fool believes.

Originally posted by PSS AUDIO
    I asked about the L26 as I must provide him a good quality sound system based on a small JBL speaker (his wife says that a 4333 is far too big) and one of my amplifiers...
    Yuri, if you have access to a Dynaco PAS3 and Stereo 70, or something similar in a small tube pre and amp, I wholeheartedly recommend THAT combination with the L26s. Believe me when I say, there's real magic there.

In all, I like the L26 quite a lot. Sure, it can get "brash" in the highs on some amps (everything with an LE20 variant can), but man, it has EVEN tonal balance and dynamics that simply don't quit. Put that on an amp with a "mellow" top end, and things just start happening that most people like a lot.

Regards,
    Gordon.

In all, I like the L26 quite a lot

Same here. For "fun" I swapped in an old pair of LE10A's that I resurround, and a 16-ohm at that.

Stunner. IMHO they smoked the original transducers, at least on an A/B comparison.

Get 'yerself some...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

PSS AUDIO
    Originally posted by GordonW
    Put that on an amp with a "mellow" top end, and things just start happening that most people like a lot.
    Out of an AB amplifier I quite achieved to have a very mellow but not yellow mid and top end, so I will go with it (advertisement is banned so there will be no name, just follow my eyes ...)

Obsolete
    "Since all of this great content is free, it seems a bit petty to complain about how it is presented."

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/ou.../financial.htm

As the top guy in the list has said, "Big stuff is good....................." and this list isn't very big at all

JMO

Hey, Giskard...

Well, mayhaps the list ain't quite current - I've hit the PayPal button twice, and there's no attribution for those greenbacks (not there there need be... ). Just so long as they get to the Generous One.

Hell - one of my donations was NewYearsEve' fer chrissake, so you can tell where my priorities lie...

My grab is the Wizard's been a bit distracted of late, and many things aren't quite up-to-date...

But, you are correct - the list simply ain't long enough.
    Last edited by boputnam; 08-14-2003 at 07:02 AM.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thread Information