Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Led Zeppelin Appear in Court for Colorful Start of 'Stairway' Trial

Led Zeppelin Appear in Court for Colorful Start of 'Stairway' Trial

Fender amp briefcases, hair profiling and "the Led Zeppelin" highlight first day of copyright case over contentious song by 1960s group Spirit

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...#ixzz4BehoocWY

will be interesting to see how this goes ....
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Fender amp briefcases, hair profiling and "the Led Zeppelin" highlight first day of copyright case over contentious song by 1960s group Spirit

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...#ixzz4BehoocWY

will be interesting to see how this goes ....
    Why after all the passing decades, is this lawsuit seeing the light of day? Perhaps Page and company have more high priced lawyers than the plaintiff?

Quote Originally Posted by Horn Fanatic View Post
    Why after all the passing decades, is this lawsuit seeing the light of day? Perhaps Page and company have more high priced lawyers than the plaintiff?
    Malofiy cited a 2014 change in copyright law as the reason the case was coming forward more than 45 years after the release of "Taurus"

Might as well shoot for Bell Bottom Blues while they're at it

To me, since you can only copyright a song's lyrics and melody, the idea of suing because of similarities in the guitar riff seems frivolous. That's considered part of the arrangement, which cannot be copyrighted. And the riffs aren't even all that similar. You be the judges: The riff in question begins at 0:45 in the following video of Spirit's "Taurus" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFHLO_2_THg. The "Stairway" riff continues the chord progression beyond where it ends in "Taurus", leading the song in a completely different direction than "Taurus". To me there's no question that there was no infringement.

I would bet that if Randy California were still alive this wouldn't even be happening. My guess is that his heirs are smelling a big payday after the results of the suit brought by Marvin Gaye's heirs last year.

BTW if they lose, Page and Plant would only be on the hook for royalties earned by the 2015 remastered releases; royalties earned from all previous releases are not eligible in this suit.

Wish I were on that jury...

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Might as well shoot for Bell Bottom Blues while they're at it
    I'm over it. But how could I have known?

Jimmy Page has stolen music from other people and gotten away with it, mainly from poor Black musicians in no position to fight back, his entire musical life
    It is well documented and has been for years, this deal with Stairway is not news, just the law suit is
    This specific incident is a minor infraction when you compare it to his more ambitious and no attempt to conceal blatant plagiarisms
    Note for note theft, in song after song after song, and then he's held up as some sort of genius

Back in their heyday there was no internet, no file sharing, no wide spread interest and documentation of "roots" music and no way for the doper stoner white middle class kids to even know that most of Led Zeppelin's music actually belonged to someone else

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Smith Jr View Post
    Note for note theft, in song after song after song, and then he's held up as some sort of genius
    That's interesting. Do you have specific examples?

Quote Originally Posted by svollmer View Post
    That's interesting. Do you have specific examples?
    This is not the best one, compilation, I can come up with on short notice, just grabbed this one this minute after reading your post, there's one floating around out there that's even more damning, so much so it blew my mind the first time I heard it
    I will find it and post, haven't given this subject much thought in a while, not until this ridiculous law suit thing came up
    At one time there was a couple of websites devoted to the subject
    Keep in mind too, I and others are leveling the charge of the fact that they stole music, NOT the arraignments/performances themselves
    There's a difference as I am sure most of you know
    Almost all of the British bands of the '60s, especially the Beatles and Clapton, spoke freely of the heavy influence the records from America they were able to score had on their development and subsequent sound.
    That's just the way it was and part of the birth of a new form, similar to the evolution of Jazz, or any other music for that matter.

The Beatles, living in a town that was also a major port benefited from this greatly. We all know the stories of their eager anticipation to get from returning sailors the latest records from America, but at least with the Beatles it was a heavy influence and not direct lifting of everything from small motifs to entire melodies
    To me, being influenced by, and "quoting" at times is not the same thing as outright taking as your own and covering that practice by simply burying the composition in another arraigmnet or disguising it with radically different instrumentation
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTz_iX_L0VA

I can't say what was in his head, but at best, Page was very deceptive, wittingly or not

This one is better, a bit more coherent, I'll keep a look out for the best one I mentioned, there are more than a few
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiiY4ciKFQA

Led Zeppelin's 'Stairway to Heaven' Trial, Day 3: The 'Mary Poppins' Connection

Jimmy Page questioned on possible inspiration of "Chim Chim Cher-ee" on "Stairway" in contentious Spirit trial

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...#ixzz4Bn0J6TkD

Led Zeppelin didn't steal music for 'Stairway to Heaven,' jury decides

(except they probably did )

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...nap-story.html

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...nap-story.html
    Not surprised by this one
    Kind of stinks though that they did bang George Harrison, all those years ago

No, they probably didn't—that descending chromatic arpeggio has been a common motif in folk music since long before any of the members of Led Zeppelin (or Spirit, for that matter) were even born. The jury made the correct decision.

Quote Originally Posted by hsosdrum View Post
    No, they probably didn't—that descending chromatic arpeggio has been a common motif in folk music since long before any of the members of Led Zeppelin (or Spirit, for that matter) were even born. The jury made the correct decision.
    you are most likely correct, tho I remember an interview with Page who said "everybody borrowed from each other back in those days"

some of LZ's tunes were listed as "traditional" when they really weren't.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...0160622?page=3

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=322

and NONE of that alters how great as performers/musicians they were

Thread Information